If Cinicinnati Leaves AAC, Who Leaves CUSA To Backfill

Eagle-96

2 hours ago, MJavierSMU said:

Wow. 

In the few times I visited this board over the past year and a half your posts have stood out, especially if the topic is SMU and/or Dallas with the supposed racism and lack of culture. There is a definite common theme and agenda with your posts. 

As a middle-class minority I had a great experience at SMU and living in Dallas. Most all private schools still need to improve with diversity but I never felt out of place and neither did my close group of friends. 

That was my experience but apparently you know more about racism at SMU than I do because you bring it up, A LOT. I'm sure I'm not going to change your opinion of SMU or Dallas because message board bullies rarely back down. So continue your hate message and good luck with it.

BTW, I've enjoyed my trips to Denton and UNT, great college town and a great school. The only times treated poorly were my few trips to this board and a couple of people with rude comments at the Super Pit recently (I was wearing my SMU basketball hat). But most UNT people were very friendly and we had a great time at the game. 

Ok

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Cool. I'm really glad that you had a positive experience at school.

Is it possible for you to post without insulting someone? Then after someone throws it back you get all "oh insults I see". 

I'm curious. Are you 40 and single? I don't understand how anyone could possibly deal with you.

50 and pissed. He seems to have given significant thought to all of this and is young enough to fight but too old to care what people think. Just a guess.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

http://college.usatoday.com/2015/10/30/southern-methodist-university-racist-greekrank-sorority-post/

http://educationblog.dallasnews.com/2015/10/smu-says-its-looking-into-racially-offensive-fraternity-party-that-was-planned.html/

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/race-still-an-issue-at-smu

In fact, minorities feel so ostracized at SMU they started a hashtag about it:

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015/blackatsmu/

Is it possible for you to post without insulting someone? Then after someone throws it back you get all "oh insults I see". 

I'm curious. Are you 40 and single? I don't understand how anyone could possibly deal with you.

Again, I said there's still a lot of room for improvement at SMU, and at similar universities like TCU and Baylor but I can only speak to my experience.

I've got plenty of black friends who also loved their experience at SMU but you make it sound like SMU is full of racist, hateful people based on a few isolated incidents reported in the media. I bet if I did a little research I could find reports of racial incidents that have occurred at UNT, and at TCU, and at Baylor. A couple of weeks ago a group of students from Dallas visiting A&M were harassed by A&M students based on their race. Does that make everyone at A&M a racist and College Station a cesspool? Sorry, I know that example does not help your SMU/Dallas hate argument but I thought it was worthy to bring up. 

I just find it funny that someone constantly condemning a group for their supposed  hateful ways does nothing but throw out hate himself. Kind of ironic, huh? 

Edited by MJavierSMU
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, pastorgrant said:

I don't know about racist, but SMUg is a fair nickname, based on my experience on campus.

2 minutes ago, pastorgrant said:

I don't know about racist, but SMUg is a fair nickname, based on my experience on campus.

Fair enough but was it during a football against UNT, or just a regular visit on a school day?

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

http://college.usatoday.com/2015/10/30/southern-methodist-university-racist-greekrank-sorority-post/

http://educationblog.dallasnews.com/2015/10/smu-says-its-looking-into-racially-offensive-fraternity-party-that-was-planned.html/

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/race-still-an-issue-at-smu

In fact, minorities feel so ostracized at SMU they started a hashtag about it:

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015/blackatsmu/

Lol. It's obvious you are 20s. 

You are different. Embrace it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

9 minutes ago, pastorgrant said:

Regular visit on a school day, and I wasn't wearing UNT gear, either. My wife left there on the verge of tears.

Well, I hate to hear that. Sorry for your unpleasant visit. I wouldn't think wearing UNT gear would have mattered. I had no clue there was any animosity towards SMU from UNT people until I visited this board. I  only asked that because visiting fans during a football game at just about any school will catch a little grief but on just a regular visit, that's strange. 

Edited by MJavierSMU

6 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

Well, I hate to hear that. Sorry for your unpleasant visit. I wouldn't think wearing UNT gear would have mattered. I had no clue there was any animosity towards SMU from UNT people until I visited this board. I  only asked that because visiting fans during a football game at just about any school will catch a little grief but on just a regular visit, that's strange. 

I don't hate you, and I don't hate SMUg (except sports hate, which is just for fun), but I do get why people feel the way they do about it. It's not out of nowhere.

Oh, and hey, 1000 posts, woohoo!

• Upvote 4

I can't believe I'm jumping into this crap, especially when this topic really needs it's own thread, but here goes ...

I do not personally hate any SMU alums as I don't know any. And attending games at Ford Field has never been a problem.  Most of the fans I encountered, while being quite overdressed, were relatively harmless.

HOWEVER, I do have a major problem with the condescending,  ivory-tower attitude of that Bush-loving administration! UNT's hate for SMU is well documented and well deserved. Many of the issues have been mentioned here, including the cock-blocks back in the 1970s and in 2005, but I will mention another one.

In 2003, UNT had the national rushing champion in Patrick Cobbs. The guy wasn't even a finalist for the Doak Walker Award! Now, if you want to make the argument that he didn't win due to strength of schedule,  that's fine, I can understand that. But to be left off the list entirely! That was not a coincidence!

Example #2

In 2004, UNT once again had the nation's leading rusher in Jamario Thomas. The eligibility requirements for the award were changed mid-season so freshmen could win the award. But this was only done so that Adrian Petersen could be eligible. Once again, the nation's leading rusher was completely left off the list. WTF?!

To reiterate: I've got no problem with Tommy Hilfiger, uh I mean SMU fans. But as far as the administration goes ... they can all go you know where!!!

Edited by greenb.o.g.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

When I went to NT and even for a long time after, I thought that, outside of the Ivy League schools, pretty much all colleges were regarded about the same in terms of their effectiveness at carrying out their non-athletic missions. That cluelessness is a big part of how I ended up at NT.  The reality is that SMU is on an entirely higher plane than NT as an institution. Regardless I care about NT and want to help NT ascend. Then I think about Rice which is on entirely higher plane than SMU as an instiution, and wonder how do their people let their program slum around with us. Clearly they just absolutely do not care. So I guess we're in good company. 

• Downvote 4

9 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

When I went to NT and even for a long time after, I thought that, outside of the Ivy League schools, pretty much all colleges were regarded about the same in terms of their effectiveness at carrying out their non-athletic missions. That cluelessness is a big part of how I ended up at NT.  The reality is that SMU is on an entirely higher plane than NT as an institution. Regardless I care about NT and want to help NT ascend. Then I think about Rice which is on entirely higher plane than SMU as an instiution, and wonder how do their people let their program slum around with us. Clearly they just absolutely do not care. So I guess we're in good company. 

UNT is an R1 institution. SMU, not so much.

• Upvote 1

You guys are delusional if you don't think those rankings matter and don't reflect the actualities of the schools. While you could argue about the differences between universities that are only a few places apart, when you are talking about the difference of say 450 places, like I think is roughly the difference in Forbes rankings, you know there is a substantial difference and basically no comparison. It is no better in the US News rankings of National Universities as they call it. It is important for us to recognize where we really stand.  Even so, NT does have a lot to offer and has done a lot for me. I guess I am just saying we need to forget about SMU and what they do and focus on what we each can do to help NT be a better regarded institution than it is now. Bad as our athletics are, it is possibly the least of our worries as NT supporters. I think it is just another symptom of some fundamental problems.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On February 20, 2016 at 1:56 PM, MJavierSMU said:

Wow. 

I've enjoyed my trips to Denton and UNT, great college town and a great school. The only times treated poorly were my few trips to this board and a couple of people with rude comments at the Super Pit recently (I was wearing my SMU basketball hat). But most UNT people were very friendly and we had a great time at the game. 

That's funny, we must have the same fan base.  No one was asking me question at the our tailgate on the Boulevard but they were quick to talk bad about me and the persons spot we used.    You'll never win. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/21/2016 at 6:32 PM, MJavierSMU said:

Again, I said there's still a lot of room for improvement at SMU, and at similar universities like TCU and Baylor but I can only speak to my experience.

I've got plenty of black friends who also loved their experience at SMU but you make it sound like SMU is full of racist, hateful people based on a few isolated incidents reported in the media. I bet if I did a little research I could find reports of racial incidents that have occurred at UNT, and at TCU, and at Baylor. A couple of weeks ago a group of students from Dallas visiting A&M were harassed by A&M students based on their race. Does that make everyone at A&M a racist and College Station a cesspool? Sorry, I know that example does not help your SMU/Dallas hate argument but I thought it was worthy to bring up. 

I just find it funny that someone constantly condemning a group for their supposed  hateful ways does nothing but throw out hate himself. Kind of ironic, huh? 

Just ignore him. He's filled with more hate than the rest of this board combined.

• Upvote 1

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 9:05 PM, Ryan Munthe said:

Also that national championship thing is something I've never heard of, and absolutely freaking hilarious. Only SMU would claim that. LOL.

Disagree.  Have you seen aTm's claims to national championships?  They won a national championship in 1939, but in 2012, they claimed 2 more.

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 6:32 PM, MJavierSMU said:

Why would anyone think that SMU fans are elitist/racist?  Some quotes from the ponyfans topic:  Still baffled why a kid would pick Memphis over SMU and Wake

Some people just like slumming

You date any beautiful women from the hood?

Ignoring that SMU has a much more prestigous degree than Memphis , why, upon graduation, would anyone want to look for a job in Memphis (Trustee in prison, probation officer?) as opposed to Dallas (Bank executive, Real estate mogul, Lawyer, etc, etc, etc)!

And I won't even go into all of the racist posts any time UH is discussed.  That tradition goes back from "Cage the Cougroes" to now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1