How Do You Recruit to UNT?

Mike Jackson

On 1/29/2016 at 9:18 AM, rcade said:

Recruiting a kid to Denton should be easier today than it was in the '80s when I attended school. The campus is more impressive, Apogee is a massive upgrade over Fouts and the nightlife in town is better. The courthouse square 30 years ago was a ghost town. There only was a video store, Recycled Books, a burger place and El Matador a few blocks away. When I visit these days Denton looks more like a destination than a place you leave every weekend to do things in Dallas or Fort Worth.

You are right, I don't think many realize what a cool town Denton is these days.  Very different than the ancient history when I when to school and you had to drive 35 miles in any direction to buy a beer.   

Denton has been recently recognized as a destination place by a lot of publications lately, and I think it is well deserved.  It does remind of the Austin that no longer exists.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Hey! RV's got this.

Anyone else scared outta their mind?

Can you decipher what he's bragging about?  

Something to the realm of....

"This stadium is the only stadium in the country in which a TV Broadcast crew can set up and be filming in 45 minutes.....that's why they (tv  broadcast crews) love coming here,...why we play on TV..." 

Rick

On 1/28/2016 at 2:39 PM, Cerebus said:

You speak truth right here.  Everyone loves to bad mouth Dickey;s OOC schedule but just take a look at it:

• 98 @OU
  • 98 Texas Tech
  • 98 @Arizona St
  • 98 @Texas A&M
  • 99 @LSU
  • 99 @Texas Tech
  • 99 @Baylor
  • 00 Baylor
  • 00 @Texas Tech
  • 00 @KSU
  • 01 TCU
  • 01 @OU
  • 01 @Texas Tech

In the 98 season you left out Houston, and in the 99 season you left out TCU. If you're going to include Baylor, you have to include TCU.

In 88 the very underfunded North Texas team had Tech, Texas and Rice on their schedule and won two out of the three. I wonder how Corkey Nelson managed to talk players who could beat two SWC schools  into coming to North Texas?

On 1/28/2016 at 11:03 AM, untjim1995 said:

The only head coach in the last 45 years to do anything major here was Hayden Fry--to that extent, the answers to why he was able to do that should be able to lead you into the direction of why the others have failed. First, unlike any of the others, Hayden Fry was a known commodity within Texas. He had success and had built up recruiting relationships in Texas already as a head coach. He was an innovative coach on offense, which brings people to games. He was a great communicator to the media and community groups, which brings in money.

Nobody we have hired since then has met those three criteria. Jerry Moore came from Nebraska where the ran the I-formation. Bob Tyler came from Miss State. Corky Nelson was the DC for Baylor, IIRC. Dennis Parker was a HS coach. Matt Simon was the OC at New Mexico. Darrell Dickey was the OC at SMU. Todd Dodge was a HS Coach. Dan McCarney was a losing head coach from Iowa State that ran an incredibly basic offense, while also serving as the OL coach at Florida before he got hired here. And now we have Littrell, who was the playcaller at UNC. None of these hires have given Texas HS recruits, coaches, or parents a reason to rarely think of us as a primary choice unless the other offers have been underwhelming compared to us (basically FCS or other SBC-type teams). Dickey did the best at recruiting here, but it wasn't great by any imagination--he just had a way to get kids here that fit his mindset better than anyone else. His offense was no better than McCarney's was, his demeanor was even worse, and his attitude toward scheduling was pathetic--but he was still better than anyone else here as a I-A coach since Fry left. Sad, but true...

Now, keep in mind, Texas State hired Franchione, who fit all of the criteria that Fry did above, yet he still failed eventually down there. But maybe that was more on Texas State than it would have been here--we will never know. But those qualities that Hayden fry had coming into the job here have never been duplicated completely by UNT when hiring a new coach. Maybe Littrell turns it all around, even though he doesn't fit that bill above, hopefully he can do it here. Lord knows he has one helluva pit to dig up from, which isn't helped by the current AD, IMO.

I have no idea why you ended up with -2 on such an excellent post. Besides his great talent as a speaker and all-around bullshitter, Hayden was AD as well as HC. That allowed him to use his talents to the fullest.  No marking off territories and maintaining a 38th parallel like our current AD did with our most successful coach in the last 15 years. Hayden got everyone excited and on board and everyone from the HC to the secretaries in the athletic department were all singing out of the same hymnal.

And it was a sweet hymn at that. 

I don't know if this dysfunctional school will ever see anything like that again. 

One addition. The person in charge of hiring Hayden was Jitter Nolan. And he was chased off by the old dysfunctional administrators (I call them the "old nesters) the year after Hayden left (79). They and/or their minions have been in charge of hiring ever since. 

Nuff said.

• Upvote 2