Shane Elder - UTSA Assistant AD for football

BillySee58

Good hire.  

Administrative assistant for recruiting at A&M for seven years.

High School Coaches liaison, among other duties, for 6 years at UTSA.

Native Texan.

Lateral hire from school/rival in same conference.

If I am Littrell I ask coaches who they like from other schools that they have contact with and then if I can afford that guy I get him.    Maybe that is how this hire came about.

Even NT 90 should be able to recognize this as a good hire.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Good hire.  

Native Texan.

If I am Littrell I ask coaches who they like from other schools that they have contact with and then if I can afford that guy I get him.    Maybe that is how this hire came about.

Not a lateral move. UTSA is a sinking ship with Coker squarely on the hotseat. UTSA's staff may not have a job after 2016. With UNT he is on a new staff with more job security and probably a pay increase as well. Plus, if Littrell's star takes off then there is a possibility to move on to even bigger greener pastures in 3-4 years. 

Edited by Eagle-96

4 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Good hire.  

Native Texan.

I mean, hiring someone away from a 3-9 program should make us all excited, right? 

EDIT: Strike that. Hiring someone whose last job was with a 3-9 program.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I mean, hiring someone away from a 3-9 program should make us all excited, right? 

I'm kind of disappointed in you. I would have thought that your question would be "who made the decision for this hire"? If it's RV, then it's much less impressive than someone coming from a 3-9 program. 

I'm hoping that this hire was made and/or directed by our President. I would then see it as much more......hopeful.

Edited by SilverEagle

11 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Not a lateral move. UTSA is a sinking ship with Coker squarely on the hotseat. UTSA's staff may not have a job after 2016. With UNT he is on a new staff with more job security and probably a pay increase as well. Plus, if Littrell's star takes off than there is a possibility to move on to even bigger greener pastures in 3-4 years. 

Hit it on the head. He knows he has a 4 year ride here, whereas another losing season will most likely coat Coker his job. 

Smart move on his part. Let's see if he can produce better than he did at UTSA.

3 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I'm kind of disappointed in you. I would have thought that your question would be "who made the decision for this hire"? If it's RV, then it's much less impressive than someone coming from a 3-9 program. 

I'm hoping that this hire was made and/or directed by our President.

A good point. RV's recent hires in the AD have been check collectors (kinda like RV himself). I think we all know at least one of the people I'm talking about. 

Lets just say MGC numbers actually decreased after a bowl win. You geniuses figure it out.

I hope the new AD in 2018 completely cleans house in the AD. If ever a place needed a culture change... 

So this is a position supervised by the AD and not Littrell? Well then, rest assured it's a good ole boy hire. I wouldn't expect much.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a solid hire.  Guy has good experience and a great reputation.  Again, a guy who was at a place where you had to do more with lessor resources.  This is a big jump up from where we have been in terms of ability.

Flash forward to Eagle-96 fantasy world:

Elder unpacks his personal belongings in his new office in the AD.  RV saunters over to give him his duties for the day:

RV: Here is you HR paperwork, a new vest, and some access badges and so forth.

Elder: Rick we need to talk. 

RV: Sure thing we have PLENTY of chit-chat time here at UNT. My slate is clear through Thursday. Let's go get some lunch. On you of course. 

Elder: Well actually I have invited a friend for a little meeting, if you will. 

Smatresk: Rick I have a slip of paper here for you.

RV: You mean the pink one?

Smatresk: That's the one. You see we have added a title for Shane here and this slip, the pink one, has something to do with that.

RV: Ok sounds great

Elder: Weeellll, it's great for me at least.

Smatresk. You see Rick, we are adding one little ol' word to Shane's title. No big deal. It's the word Interim. See there, just six tiny letters. Do ya get it Rick.

Elder: Hahahahahahahahahaha.

RV: I don't understand.

Smatresk: We didn't think you would Rick. It's just six tiny letters until we can find a real, I mean, new AD to run the program. 

RV: Am I being fired?

Elder: Let's just call it a mutual understanding.

RV: What's a mutual?

Smatresk: I'm gonna need that Jimmy Johns preferred card Rick.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1