Other Season Ticket Holders

Dr. Seuss

I'll just leave this here: 

I hear this all the time as a reason for not donating or getting involved.  Seems to be odd to me as one can always, if they are really interested, pick up the phone, go on-line to meangreensports, the Alumni Assoc or Advancement website and start donating.  

I realize lots of folks want to be asked, but, if really interested in paying it forward, why not take the initiative? I know, I know lots here will say "not my job"...OK, fine, but a little initiative is not bad either.  You do realize that the Mean Green Club has a $25 membership level now, right?  That is hardly seven figures.  This, "I am not rich so I don't count" is so much BS and reeks of entitlement and excuse.  Every non-profit will tell you that any amount matters and all donations of any size are needed and are important.  But, you really did already know that, didn't you?  Be honest.  If you do truly want a personal invite, and you just might, PM me with your contact info and I'll give you a call or send you an email ask.  That way you can definitely get on a few folks radar screen for regular asks.

As a counter to your point above...what if a bunch of 2011 grads took a little initiative to show up at games and join the MGC at $25 each?  That way they would be buying a game ticket at some level and making sure all their contact info was up to date with the University in an effort to get info.  What a concept...personal initiative!  I know I know...not your job.

Could there be a bigger effort to gather current contact info by the University?  Good gosh, yes.  I can tell you that a recent IT project to fix a lot of IT and contact type issues has been on-going for a couple of years now.  Things are much better, and getting better, but much remains to be done.  Our grads could help UNT help them by providing updated contact info through the Alumni Association, Mean Green Club or their college.  Question...do you have the same email address you had the day you graduated?  The same phone number?  The same address? Many recent grads do not based on the hundreds of email addresses bounced back to the University, the mounds of returned mail, etc.  No, it isn't exactly a two way street here, but all our grads could help a great deal by updating their contact info...being a member of the Alumni Association and Mean Green Club would definitely solve that issue and no one has to be a six or seven figure donor to join either. This old "it's not my job" and "I am not a big enough donor" excuse stuff really doesn't hold much water.  But, if folks just want to sit back and complain that they are never contacted and use that for their excuse for not donating, well, I really question whether they have any honest intent to donate in the first place.  Again...the opinions expressed here are mine.  Folks are free to hold their own opinions and donate/join or not as they please.

Point is. The Athletic Department doesn't care. If there wasn't a single season ticket sold for next year, they would carry on as usual. That's the level of ineptitude they have shown under RV's leadership. But hey, they get paid six figures to sit on their asses so they're happy. Who wouldn't want that cushy of a job?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I was a Stars season ticket holder for a couple of seasons back in 2007 and I still get personalized emails and calls every now and then from sales reps. I haven't renewed UNT season tickets and donations since the first year of the Benford experiment and have received no communication from the athletic department since then.

My overall investment in UNT was higher than with the Stars, but with the Stars, I'm still considered a potential customer, with RV's athletic department, according to fly, I'm a piss ant, non-factor who's money won't be missed.

Guess who gets my hard-earned dollars when I get the chance to spend them?

Exactly.

• Upvote 2

I'll just leave this here: 

Point is. The Athletic Department doesn't care. If there wasn't a single season ticket sold for next year, they would carry on as usual. That's the level of ineptitude they have shown under RV's leadership. But hey, they get paid six figures to sit on their asses so they're happy. Who wouldn't want that cushy of a job?

I think I recall that conversation as well because I also chimed in.   There was a person basically saying "I would definitely donate/sign-up/whatever to the Mean Green Club if someone would call me!"   To which Kram replied with the above.  I also replied with something like below:

If you are posting on a Mean Green fan message board, and you WANT TO DONATE, just call.  There are people who will facilitate that and help you find the right donation level for you.   Don't just sit around and wait for a solicitation if you really want to donate.

Now, the indictment on the Athletic Department that, they're not doing a good job of soliciting, stands.  That is certainly an issue, and I think Kram would agree just a little... but would not say so on here.

• Upvote 2

I think Kram was the leader behind the "Go for 10" campaign.... Recruit 10 people to the MGC and get referral rewards....

It was "Recruit 15"...and yes, I helped bring in excess of 15 new members to the Mean Green Club. Yes, I led that campaign.  I am always happy to help my university as best I can.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

If you are posting on a Mean Green fan message board, and you WANT TO DONATE, just call.  There are people who will facilitate that and help you find the right donation level for you.   Don't just sit around and wait for a solicitation if you really want to donate.

Now, the indictment on the Athletic Department that, they're not doing a good job of soliciting, stands.  That is certainly an issue, and I think Kram would agree just a little... but would not say so on here.

In all honesty, in the times in my life when I've actively tried to go to the athletic department to voluntarily give them money, I've found it damn near impossible to do so.  This goes all the way back to my very first game against Tulsa in 2008.  I had no idea how anything worked.  I knew I had a student ticket, but I wanted to buy one extra to bring my daughter.  I walked to the old athletic department over by Fouts, went in to the door that said "Ticket Office" and had one hell of a time acquiring that ticket.

Things have not improved.  At all.  I still struggle to buy extra tickets even though now it should be nothing more than a phone call, my account number (attached to my credit card) and a trip to will call on game day.  Still like pulling teeth.  Until I got Reggie on speed dial, I could count on a minimum of three transfers per call, and usually no tickets in hand at the end of the ordeal.

Furthermore, it was super funky groovy in 2014 when I sent a check to pay for my season tickets, they cashed it, misappropriated it to my stadium gift, and invoiced me for tickets I theoretically hadn't paid for. 

I think we could admit that by virtue of my very existence on this message board, that I'm going to be a bit more tenacious than most when trying to give my money to the athletic department.  For the more casual fan, even if they unilaterally step up and pursue this, how do you think things are gonna go?

It was "Recruit 15"...and yes, I helped bring in excess of 15 new members to the Mean Green Club. Yes, I led that campaign.  I am always happy to help my university as best I can.

I know for a fact that you were not the one who came up with that spiriki level.  I was really excited about the recruit 25 thing this past summer until I realized I was selling $25 stickers and nothing more.  I'm a grass roots kind of guy with a shady background.  I want to bring in the masses to cheap seats in the wing zone, (first one's always free), get them hooked on the experience, then hit 'em with a real gmg donation.  The spiriki thing was almost there.  Almost.  But it lacked a fundamental piece of the puzzle -- the right to buy cheap GA tickets at some discounted price.

• Upvote 4

I know for a fact that you were not the one who came up with that spiriki level.  I was really excited about the recruit 25 thing this past summer until I realized I was selling $25 stickers and nothing more.  I'm a grass roots kind of guy with a shady background.  I want to bring in the masses to cheap seats in the wing zone, (first one's always free), get them hooked on the experience, then hit 'em with a real gmg donation.  The spiriki thing was almost there.  Almost.  But it lacked a fundamental piece of the puzzle -- the right to buy cheap GA tickets at some discounted price.

Of course I didn't come up with the levels of membership nor the campaign rules nor the campaign itself.  I volunteered to help recruit new members.  Not all the members I recruited were at the $25 level. Some?  Of course, why not?  But certainly not all.  I like having an "introductory" membership level for folks who might just want to "dip a toe in" or for younger grads or other fans who just want to support the program and athletic scholarships, but who might have limited resources for such donations.

Your idea about adding a low cost, Wing Zone general admission ticket with that level is a good one.  I hope someone notices...hint hint...and it is included in the package.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

In all honesty, in the times in my life when I've actively tried to go to the athletic department to voluntarily give them money, I've found it damn near impossible to do so.  This goes all the way back to my very first game against Tulsa in 2008.  I had no idea how anything worked.  I knew I had a student ticket, but I wanted to buy one extra to bring my daughter.  I walked to the old athletic department over by Fouts, went in to the door that said "Ticket Office" and had one hell of a time acquiring that ticket.

Things have not improved.  At all.  I still struggle to buy extra tickets even though now it should be nothing more than a phone call, my account number (attached to my credit card) and a trip to will call on game day.  Still like pulling teeth.  Until I got Reggie on speed dial, I could count on a minimum of three transfers per call, and usually no tickets in hand at the end of the ordeal.

Furthermore, it was super funky groovy in 2014 when I sent a check to pay for my season tickets, they cashed it, misappropriated it to my stadium gift, and invoiced me for tickets I theoretically hadn't paid for. 

I think we could admit that by virtue of my very existence on this message board, that I'm going to be a bit more tenacious than most when trying to give my money to the athletic department.  For the more casual fan, even if they unilaterally step up and pursue this, how do you think things are gonna go?

Other than with a select few people this above plays out with hundreds of others every year.  The HOD Bowl ticket disbursement was a disaster as was this year's SMU game.  It never ends and folks have had it.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Ugh.  Your story is all too common, and discredits my attempt at appealing to reason.

Although, I believe there have been changes made at the ticket office recently, as in after the SMU debacle.

Although, I believe there have been changes made at the ticket office recently, as in after the SMU debacle.

That part I wouldn't know because I've been unsuccessful at even getting one person to come to a game this year.  I bought my SMU ticket from John Williams (which appear to have come from the SMU ticket office) because I couldn't figure out how to get them from the UNT ticket office.  They sent me what seemed like hundreds of emails soliciting me to purchase a ticket to their $30 sandwich tailgate, but not one person seemed to know how to just buy a ticket.

• Upvote 4

I have been a season ticket holder since 2001.  I can't remember a year going by where I didn't get at least some form of contact from the AD.  In the distant past, that used to just be physical mailers.  If I hadn't renewed by whatever deadline they had set, I'd get a call from them.  Nowadays you have all the email getting sent on top of this.

I've also never encountered a rude person when calling the ticket office.  I didn't like how the HOD bowl tickets were distributed, but that is about the only complaint I have had regarding ticket renewals and delivery.

I know I've read comments on this board every single year from people who have had trouble, but that just hasn't been my experience.  Could be dumb luck?  I dunno.

• Upvote 3

I know I've read comments on this board every single year from people who have had trouble, but that just hasn't been my experience.  Could be dumb luck?  I dunno.

Seems to be random.  I didn't get parking passes last year, but when lots and lots of people didn't get them this year, mine came just fine.

BTW, I've got an extra for the CUSA championship game on December 5.  You interested?

• Upvote 2

Gonna jump in here, what is the background of the people leading this? I think business principles need to be used. When you build an organization, part of the equation is gaining and retaining customers. RV may have the balance sheet nailed (good and necessary),  but it's a totally different skill set to grow a business\organization. Maybe the program could bring in a legit Marketing / O.D. gun and hold that person/ people accountable to outreach activity (visits, promotions and sales at large businesses) with outcome metrics  (sales, donations, etc. Per activity)? I get it RV may be a bean counter but organizations have more than a C.F.O. 

• Upvote 1

Ugh.  Your story is all too common, and discredits my attempt at appealing to reason.

There's good people working in the ticket office.  I just think they struggle from a leadership and organizational problem, and that starts at the top.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Gonna jump in here, what is the background of the people leading this? I think business principles need to be used. When you build an organization, part of the equation is gaining and retaining customers. RV may have the balance sheet nailed (good and necessary),  but it's a totally different skill set to grow a business\organization. Maybe the program could bring in a legit Marketing / O.D. gun and hold that person/ people accountable to outreach activity (visits, promotions and sales at large businesses) with outcome metrics  (sales, donations, etc. Per activity)? I get it RV may be a bean counter but organizations have more than a C.F.O. 

I have an idea for you. Review these two links and come back to give us your impressions and if you would like to broker a trade:

http://www.goutsa.com/fls/13100/pdf_files/athletics/lynn_hickey_bio.pdf

http://www.meangreensports.com/genrel/rick_villarreal_848277.html

I have an idea for you. Review these two links and come back to give us your impressions and if you would like to broker a trade:

http://www.goutsa.com/fls/13100/pdf_files/athletics/lynn_hickey_bio.pdf

http://www.meangreensports.com/genrel/rick_villarreal_848277.html

i root for both schools, so on here i am 100% unt. The passion behind the banner & billboard is awesome. I recognize rv is a fundraiser. My proposition is change the paradigm from" he's all $ no x & o's and we are screwed" to "we have a great $ guy now lets use our passion to effect a complimentary change/addition in the program". Positions are created all the time in programs. Tell the power rv is a bad ass $ guy and push for a (title  here) to handle football operations. If he is a $ guy the powers will keep him. Sell them that the success will bring more prestige for the school and more $$ to play with. Unt  has too much potential to languish needlessly.

• Upvote 2

I have been a season ticket holder since 2001.  I can't remember a year going by where I didn't get at least some form of contact from the AD.  In the distant past, that used to just be physical mailers.  If I hadn't renewed by whatever deadline they had set, I'd get a call from them.  Nowadays you have all the email getting sent on top of this.

I've also never encountered a rude person when calling the ticket office.  I didn't like how the HOD bowl tickets were distributed, but that is about the only complaint I have had regarding ticket renewals and delivery.

same here, never have had a problem. Must be in the minority.

i root for both schools, so on here i am 100% unt. The passion behind the banner & billboard is awesome. I recognize rv is a fundraiser. My proposition is change the paradigm from" he's all $ no x & o's and we are screwed" to "we have a great $ guy now lets use our passion to effect a complimentary change/addition in the program". Positions are created all the time in programs. Tell the power rv is a bad ass $ guy and push for a (title  here) to handle football operations. If he is a $ guy the powers will keep him. Sell them that the success will bring more prestige for the school and more $$ to play with. Unt  has too much potential to languish needlessly.

RV is far from a great money guy. He has developed 17 large donors in 15 years at the 3rd or 4th largest university in the state. 

With well over 100,000k alums living within a 100 square mile radius of the university.

He is much more adept at empire building to save his own skin than he is at fundraising. 

And that's just reason number 1537 why he should be looking for employment 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1