John Adams: North Texas the perfect chance to rest starters

Harry

Tennessee technically has only one open date this football season. But facing North Texas on Saturday is the next best thing.

The Vols need to take advantage of it. In a word, “rest.”

And who’s more deserving than quarterback Joshua Dobbs, who in his first full season as a starter has become the second best quarterback in the SEC.

He doesn’t need to inflate his statistics against the 1-8 Mean Green to prove that. So why not let him sit this one out?

UT coach Butch Jones acknowledged after Saturday’s 27-24 victory over South Carolina that Dobbs “had been banged up.”

But why press your luck against an opponent that you can beat easily without him? My guess is he would excel against an opponent of North Texas’ caliber.

read more:  http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/columnists/john-adams-north-texas-the-perfect-chance-to-rest-starters_13502814

Edited by Harry

I wonder...would it be better to fight tooth and nail for pride and probably see a score similar to LaTech, or get young guys in there to gain some experience?  No reason we can't get some benefits from this game as well...

Play young guys the following 2 weeks against MTSU and UTEP. This isn't the game. This program can't take 88-0 right now.

• Upvote 5

Harry, please do both fan bases a favor and spare us further exposure to the "work" of John Adams, resident "Sultan of Sarcasm" for the Knoxville News Sentinel. As the week progresses, I am sure that you will be able to find more respectful and balanced coverage of our forthcoming game from Patrick Brown, columnist for the Chattanooga Times-Free Press (see http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/tennessee/). Most Tennessee fans positively despise John Adams. Indeed, the phrase "with friends like him, who needs enemies?" exemplifies Adams' coverage of Tennessee athletics over the years.

• Upvote 1

I wonder...would it be better to fight tooth and nail for pride and probably see a score similar to LaTech, or get young guys in there to gain some experience?  No reason we can't get some benefits from this game as well...

If this season has not already drained them of their collective pride, 'tis far better to "fight tooth and nail." There would be no redeeming benefits whatsoever to be remembered as the modern-day equivalent of Cumberland College who lost to Georgia Tech by the mind-numbing score of 222-0 in 1916. 

• Upvote 3

If this season has not already drained them of their collective pride, 'tis far better to "fight tooth and nail." There would be no redeeming benefits whatsoever to be remembered as the modern-day equivalent of Cumberland College who lost to Georgia Tech by the mind-numbing score of 222-0 in 1916. 

We have already got a loss on our record this year that makes the Cumberland vs Ga Tech game look competitive...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The notion of "resting" the Tennessee starters is the ultimate insult.  Not only for us, but for the 2nd and 3rd team Volunteers as well.  "These guys are so bad, we don't need to do much more than get off the bus to win."

Where's Sears Wood when you need him.

We've fallen about as far as we can fall. 

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

As I posted yesterday,  Tennessee can name the score here. We won't score more than 10 points, they won't score less than 50. It really won't surprise me if this is a Portland State style ass-kicking. Their starters will be out before the 2nd quarter. Their backups will be out of the game for the second half. Their third string will be out of the game in the 4th quarter. We MIGHT score on their 4th and 5th string guys (walk-ons). My guess is 70-7 Vols, maybe worse.

This is one where the best things that can happen are that no one gets seriously hurt and that the wired funds to UNT clear their bank easily.

Harry, please do both fan bases a favor and spare us further exposure to the "work" of John Adams, resident "Sultan of Sarcasm" for the Knoxville News Sentinel. As the week progresses, I am sure that you will be able to find more respectful and balanced coverage of our forthcoming game from Patrick Brown, columnist for the Chattanooga Times-Free Press (see http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/tennessee/). Most Tennessee fans positively despise John Adams. Indeed, the phrase "with friends like him, who needs enemies?" exemplifies Adams' coverage of Tennessee athletics over the years.

So right, V'rex. Adams is a jerk, most self respecting Vol fans despise him. And he is NOT a Tennesseean or a Vol.

Ignore him, Mean Green; we've been trying to for years.

• Upvote 1

So right, V'rex. Adams is a jerk, most self respecting Vol fans despise him. And he is NOT a Tennesseean or a Vol.

Ignore him, Mean Green; we've been trying to for years.

Smallvol#1, I don't recall whether our paths have crossed previously. Do you visit Vol Nation regularly or do you more commonly frequent other Tennessee message boards?

By the way, guys, I believe that smallvol#1 would agree that, as Tennessee fans, we consider the historical balance sheet between the states of Tennessee and Texas to have been paid in full with the "gifting" of one Greenville, Texas native, Robert Reese Neyland, to the University of Tennessee.

Smallvol#1, I don't recall whether our paths have crossed previously. Do you visit Vol Nation regularly or do you more commonly frequent other Tennessee message boards?

By the way, guys, I believe that smallvol#1 would agree that, as Tennessee fans, we consider the historical balance sheet between the states of Tennessee and Texas to have been paid in full with the "gifting" of one Greenville, Texas native, Robert Reese Neyland, to the University of Tennessee.

Good point, Mean Green fans need to be sure to see the statue of The General in front of the stadium.

I'm on VolNation. Also Cocky Talk (South Carolina is my second home state) and sometimes Baylor site. The other sites I usually just go read before and after a game.  But I'm like you, I appreciated the Mean Green fans' loyalty and attitude towards their team, so I posted.

And my all time favorite site to lurk is VandyMania. Don is always good for a laugh, or a head shaking.