RV vs Smatresk

Dr. Seuss

Here's my opinion.  These two are on completely different pages.

Lets just think about this--

RV said he wants and offensive minded coach with Texas ties.  We all know one things for certain, RV lies and he's been doing it for years.  Lets think of the exact opposite, he wants a defensive coach with no Texas ties.  Who's a name thats been throwing out there matches that description.. Withers.  Doesn't Withers seem like a typical RV hire?  To me he does and thats why I can't get excited about Withers, nothing against Withers, there's just little excitement around him. 

Smatresk has been saying the same thing, offensive minded coach with Texas ties.  Smatresk hasn't lied to us, that we know of at least.  Smatresk seems like a smart guy who learns from his mistakes.  Lets look at his last hire Hauck.  He was a previous top head FCS coach that made a name for himself.  Unfortunately, he failed at UNLV and is now back as a coordinator at SDSU.  I don't think Smatresk is going to do that same thing over again and hire Withers.  Again, nothing wrong with him, he just doesn't seem to fit the bill for UNT.  I really think Smatresk is going after an offensive minded coach with Texas ties, thats why Riley's name has been thrown around. 

We will see who's right

• Upvote 4

What if worms had machine guns...

I have no idea who they are going to hire. That's the only certainty I know. I do not trust anything RV says. Smastrek is trying to gain ownership of this new hire, but no one really knows how deep he is ingrained in this coaching search. It just reeks of a typical UNT dilemma. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I have no idea who they are going to hire. That's the only certainty I know. I do not trust anything RV says. Smastrek is trying to gain ownership of this new hire, but no one really knows how deep he is ingrained in this coaching search. It just reeks of a typical UNT dilemma. 

earthworm_jim_by_zeefster-d46dp3z.png

Edited by MeanGreenD
  • Upvote 6

I'll bring this back to my business analogy:

Smastrek is the Chairman of the Board

RV is the CEO

Football coach is the COO

The Chairman didn't hire the CEO and now the CEO fired the COO.  The chairman doesn't seem to thrilled with his current CEO.  What happens, Chairman says to the CEO go look for a replacement.  Guess what, I'm just letting you do that until I find the right guy, go be busy and stop bothering me.  

Chairman hires his replacement for COO, its not the same person that the CEO wanted.  The CEO resigns, Chairman is now focused on replacing the CEO that will get along with his COO. Couple months later the new CEO is finding a replacement for the CFO ( Benford).

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1

I'll bring this back to my business analogy:

Smastrek is the Chairman of the Board

RV is the CEO

Football coach is the COO

The Chairman didn't hire the CEO and now the CEO fired the COO.  The chairman doesn't seem to thrilled with his current CEO.  What happens, Chairman says to the CEO go look for a replacement.  Guess what, I'm just letting you do that until I find the right guy, go be busy and stop bothering me.  

Chairman hires his replacement for COO, its not the same person that the CEO wanted.  The CEO resigns, Chairman is now focused on replacing the CEO that will get along with his COO. Couple months later the new CEO is finding a replacement for the CFO ( Benford).

I got what you were saying. If this move pushes RV to reaign then great, I'm all for it. But no sane man is going to walk away from the biggest income they've ever had when the job is pillows and marshmallows. He's either fired now or his contract doesn't get renewed in 2017. 

• Upvote 3

I got what you were saying. If this move pushes RV to reaign then great, I'm all for it. But no sane man is going to walk away from the biggest income they've ever had when the job is pillows and marshmallows. He's either fired now or his contract doesn't get renewed in 2017. 

That contract runs to 2018. 

And you are correct. He isn't leaving the cushiest job in America.

• Upvote 3

He will be forced to resign.  Do you really think the VW CEO resigned or was fired....  The news says he resigned...

He will be forced to resign.  Do you really think the VW CEO resigned or was fired....  The news says he resigned...

No he won't...the UNT 17 and BOR adore the guy to death--so much so that they were prepared to fly a banner to counter the one we all paid to fly at the UTSA game. Think about that--after 15 years of almost pure suckitude on the field and on the court at UNT under RV's visionary leadership, the wealthiest donors were prepared to counter a banner flying over the stadium to replace their guy with one that would encourage people to know he has their undying support. A guy who has now watched over the football program at a 65-114 clip in his tenure. And they are defending that--after paying for a $2 million dollar buyout of another failed hire just a few weeks before.

RV isn't going anywhere until he wants to go or until the monied supporters behind the AD dry up. Right now, if you think the UNT17 or the BOR aren't telling everyone that RV is our guy, you aren't paying enough attention. Smatresk may not want him around--we don't really know--but the BOR and big money donors aren't letting him fire RV anytime soon. At the earliest, we will see him gone after 2017's football season and most of the 2017-2018 hoops season. At that point, RV gets to be involved with this football coaching hire and another mens basketball coaching hire next spring most likely. History tells us clearly that these hires won't go well...yet, IIRC, if even one coach get extended in a revenue sport, RV gets an automatic extension, as well.

I'm telling all of you, as pathetically sad as this is to type, that athletic complex will have something over there named after Rick Villareal at some point in the next 5-10 years, if not the whole building. If one donor can give a million dollars to the university and demand it to name the practice fields after a losing coach, what the hell do you think the UNT 17 is gonna be able to have named in their buddy's honor over there? He is truly the #UNTADforlife...he will go when he wants to go. If he has survived this ridiculous year without any mention of removal from leadership, he's golden. We have fired two revenue coaches in 2015, costing the university (or the donors) over $2.5 million in one season--and we will still have yet another buyout coming forward with Benford in the spring. The AD put together the absolute worst schedule a UNT fan could ask for this year--bye week in the first week of the season and no other ones, one OOC game at Apogee against a FCS team nobody has heard of and still got crushed in the worst loss in modern college football history, and a home game on the Saturday after Thanksgiving when history tells us that crowds are beyond small in Denton. And he gets to keep his job...with an almost undying support from the folks who make the decisions around here. Make no mistake about it--RV is the big winner here...and UNT Revenue Sports continue to be the big loser.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

No he won't...the UNT 17 and BOR adore the guy to death--so much so that they were prepared to fly a banner to counter the one we all paid to fly at the UTSA game. Think about that--after 15 years of almost pure suckitude on the field and on the court at UNT under RV's visionary leadership, the wealthiest donors were prepared to counter a banner flying over the stadium to replace their guy with one that would encourage people to know he has their undying support. A guy who has now watched over the football program at a 65-114 clip in his tenure. And they are defending that--after paying for a $2 million dollar buyout of another failed hire just a few weeks before.

RV isn't going anywhere until he wants to go or until the monied supporters behind the AD dry up. Right now, if you think the UNT17 or the BOR aren't telling everyone that RV is our guy, you aren't paying enough attention. Smatresk may not want him around--we don't really know--but the BOR and big money donors aren't letting him fire RV anytime soon. At the earliest, we will see him gone after 2017's football season and most of the 2017-2018 hoops season. At that point, RV gets to be involved with this football coaching hire and another mens basketball coaching hire next spring most likely. History tells us clearly that these hires won't go well...yet, IIRC, if even one coach get extended in a revenue sport, RV gets an automatic extension, as well.

I'm telling all of you, as pathetically sad as this is to type, that athletic complex will have something over there named after Rick Villareal at some point in the next 5-10 years, if not the whole building. If one donor can give a million dollars to the university and demand it to name the practice fields after a losing coach, what the hell do you think the UNT 17 is gonna be able to have named in their buddy's honor over there? He is truly the #UNTADforlife...he will go when he wants to go. If he has survived this ridiculous year without any mention of removal from leadership, he's golden. We have fired two revenue coaches in 2015, costing the university (or the donors) over $2.5 million in one season--and we will still have yet another buyout coming forward with Benford in the spring. The AD put together the absolute worst schedule a UNT fan could ask for this year--bye week in the first week of the season and no other ones, one OOC game at Apogee against a FCS team nobody has heard of and still got crushed in the worst loss in modern college football history, and a home game on the Saturday after Thanksgiving when history tells us that crowds are beyond small in Denton. And he gets to keep his job...with an almost undying support from the folks who make the decisions around here. Make no mistake about it--RV is the big winner here...and UNT Revenue Sports continue to be the big loser.

I can understand where you're coming from because you've been around for a while.  I think times are changing, just like how I believe you said that UNT won't fire Mac, we did.  

Times are changing if you see it or not

Were they really? That's the first I heard about a "counter" banner. Do we know what it would've said??

• Upvote 2

I can understand where you're coming from because you've been around for a while.  I think times are changing, just like how I believe you said that UNT won't fire Mac, we did.  

Times are changing if you see it or not

I gladly ate crow on the firing of Mac. Pleasantly, it was the first time I have ever seen us absolutely reject losing ahead of budget constraints. It was a great thing to see. But I just think that you cannot reward the person who caused that man to have to be bought out at over $2 million bucks.

RV should be gone as the AD...not tomorrow, not next year sometime, not in 2018. He should have been replaced at some point in the last few weeks, to have absolutely no impact on the next football hiring.

Were they really? That's the first I heard about a "counter" banner. Do we know what it would've said??

That was what I heard...

I gladly ate crow on the firing of Mac. Pleasantly, it was the first time I have ever seen us absolutely reject losing ahead of budget constraints. It was a great thing to see. But I just think that you cannot reward the person who caused that man to have to be bought out at over $2 million bucks.

RV should be gone as the AD...not tomorrow, not next year sometime, not in 2018. He should have been replaced at some point in the last few weeks, to have absolutely no impact on the next football hiring.

That was what I heard...

No one is rewarding RV.  We all agree that he should be gone but from what I'm hearing is that he has very little impact.  He can come out and say he does and tell other people that he does but the quotes coming out and other insiders don't seem to agree with what he's saying. 

It all goes back to my Chairman/CEO/COO analogy.  The Chairman can't fire the CEO immediately after the CEO fired the COO, especially with the timing involved of getting a new CEO first and then a COO.  I can ask my stepdad how this would happen in the real world because he is the COO of a $750 million dollar company. 

Here's my opinion.  These two are on completely different pages.

Lets just think about this--

RV said he wants and offensive minded coach with Texas ties.  We all know one things for certain, RV lies and he's been doing it for years.  Lets think of the exact opposite, he wants a defensive coach with no Texas ties.  Who's a name thats been throwing out there matches that description.. Withers.  Doesn't Withers seem like a typical RV hire?  To me he does and thats why I can't get excited about Withers, nothing against Withers, there's just little excitement around him. 

Smatresk has been saying the same thing, offensive minded coach with Texas ties.  Smatresk hasn't lied to us, that we know of at least.  Smatresk seems like a smart guy who learns from his mistakes.  Lets look at his last hire Hauck.  He was a previous top head FCS coach that made a name for himself.  Unfortunately, he failed at UNLV and is now back as a coordinator at SDSU.  I don't think Smatresk is going to do that same thing over again and hire Withers.  Again, nothing wrong with him, he just doesn't seem to fit the bill for UNT.  I really think Smatresk is going after an offensive minded coach with Texas ties, thats why Riley's name has been thrown around. 

We will see who's right

I dont Know why you have to use my name so many times JP. What, you dont want another Withers in Denton or what?

That was what I heard...

The problem with firing the AD at this precise moment is you risk hosing the football coach search.  While we can point to instances where it has been successfully done, you make it way more difficult a process and potentially scare off some good candidates.

I would not be shocked if RV retires towards the end of the athletic year.

The problem with firing the AD at this precise moment is you risk hosing the football coach search.  While we can point to instances where it has been successfully done, you make it way more difficult a process and potentially scare off some good candidates.

In that scenario you are either hiring a coach and not telling him he will have a new AD soon or you are telling him. Either way it is likely to scare of candidates. An AD that didn't hire you is more likely to fire you...

• Upvote 1

In that scenario you are either hiring a coach and not telling him he will have a new AD soon or you are telling him. Either way it is likely to scare of candidates. An AD that didn't hire you is more likely to fire you...

If a coach (or his agent) is doing his due diligence, he'll see how disgruntled the fans are for this school. From there you can put the pieces together and determine whether the longevity of the Athletic Director is there or not.  I would hope our president isn't telling potential candidates that RV tenure will not be for much longer, as that is in poor, poor taste and borderline unethical.

If RV is on the way out the door in the near future, that's more reason to keep him away from the football hire. A prospective new coach with options is going to need somebody in leadership who backs him and will be around for a while.

I don't think it makes any sense at all to have an awful AD hire someone to lead your largest revenue sport for the 3rd time in the last 9 years and then quit/get fired right afterwards, but that's just me, I guess.

I am resigned to the fact that RV ain't being forced to resign...

I was talking to a buddy of mine the other night who is an Iowa grad. Loves Hayden Fry so much that his oldest daughter's name is Hayden. His girls are all under the age of 6. He told me the that he was going to take his girls to a North Texas game to get them used to a football game. He decided to take them there because "No offense, but there won't be too much noise there, so that should be a nice easy way to get them used to watching college football live. It just can't be too loud for them or they'll freak out." I said, "well how do you know it won't be too loud at a UNT game for them?" He said, "Well, I don't know for sure, but judging by the pics of their games on facebook and the video I see on TV of highlights of their games, I think I can assume as much..."

This is what poor leadership has continued to allow others to think about our program. And its not just fans of other programs that believe this...as a matter of fact, many of our alumni believe this, too.