Dan McCarney prepares for Iowa homecoming with underdog North Texas team

Harry

Some time Saturday afternoon, Dan McCarney will walk through the tunnel into Kinnick Stadium and hear more than 70,000 black and gold-clad Iowa fans roar. He will jog to the sideline and try to prepare his team for a few more minutes before kickoff. And then, almost assuredly, the Hawkeye Marching Band will strike up Iowa's fight song to a fervent crowd.

McCarney will know every line.

"When they play the Iowa fight song, I still get goose bumps," McCarney said this week. "It's probably not supposed to be that way. But somehow, some way, you never lose that through the years."

McCarney's struggling North Texas team (0-2) faces unbeaten Iowa (3-0) at 3:30 p.m. ET. The Hawkeyes are listed as 25-point favorites, and McCarney called his bunch "an unbelievable underdog, and rightfully so."

read more:  http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/124118/dan-mccarney-prepares-for-iowa-homecoming-with-underdog-north-texas-team

I wish we were good enough to give Tennessee a run for their money hell neither team is top 25 so it would  be nice to knock one off. But we need to be a solid mid major and we should be. We are  a big school bigger than most in the heart of football land. We really need better coaches to take us where we need to go. 

RV needs to go, we need a AD with a real vision and the drive and talent to get us there. 

I didn't think we would ever get this low again.

Well next year you'll get to regularly hear about his national championship ring as we roll into Florida's stadium. He's definitely getting a tour of his old haunts courtesy of North Texas. We even have a visit to Wisconsin on the schedule in 2019 if he's still around. I have to wonder why there's no trip to Iowa State on our future schedule?

• Upvote 2

RV needs to go, we need a AD with a real vision and the drive and talent to get us there. 

buildings...

and stuff...

Well next year you'll get to regularly hear about his national championship ring as we roll into Florida's stadium. He's definitely getting a tour of his old haunts courtesy of North Texas. We even have a visit to Wisconsin on the schedule in 2019 if he's still around. I have to wonder why there's no trip to Iowa State on our future schedule?

it's great of RV to schedule the Dan McCarney retirement tour, isn't it?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We even have a visit to Wisconsin on the schedule in 2019 

Since my mother spent the final 25 years of her life in Wisconsin, I'm even kinda sorta an extremely passive buy a t-shirt once every decade casual fan of the Badgers.

That said, to this particular statement on scheduling, I say, "Jeeeeeezzzuuuuuussssss!"

At least we didn't pull this crap during the Dodge years.  It would really have sucked to lose to Southlake in Dragon Stadium I.

• Upvote 3

I wish we were good enough to give Tennessee a run for their money hell neither team is top 25 so it would  be nice to knock one off. But we need to be a solid mid major and we should be. We are  a big school bigger than most in the heart of football land. We really need better coaches to take us where we need to go. 

and help to wake the giant that we can be.