2015 Seniors

GOMG2013

this upcoming season is expected to be tough, and for any given year, success can be determined by the production and leadership of the seniors.

if we look at last year the 2014 seniors were

offense: D. Terrell...Ant. Johnson...C. Lemon...S. McKinney...M. Y'barbo...R. Pegram

defense: D. Mason...A. Lincoln...D. Akunne...L. Lee...J. Jones

There were lots of high expectations from this group that did not play out.  Regardless of all the schemes, style of play, play calling, coaching, etc...Most of these players did not perform to a high level.  One would expect a Senior to play at least average for his 4th year of college football.  When all was said and done, only two ended up on 1st team, one on 2nd team, and one honorable mention. 

are we headed for something similar?

2015 Seniors:  

offense: C. Harris...Mar. Smith...M. Banogu...Mi Thomas...A. Jimmerson...A. Mcnulty 

defense: K. buyers...Orr...A. Wallace...J. Marshall...C. Polk...M. Dash

billysee posed a similar question several times for the team as a whole, but I am asking as far as senior output and leadership.  Who in this group will play above average?  I'm not going to even be greedy.  I just want 2nd...3rd...team...even honorable mention CUSA.  We will need several of these seniors to step up.  If not, then we should immediately get ready for 2016 when we have a decent schedule and many players returning.

the coaching staff should let these seniors know ahead of time.  We do not have time to wait for a senior to get his production up to average.  It is costing a backup valuable reps, and hurts the future years.

as of right now, the only senior locks to start the whole season and possibly end up on a CUSA team are buyers and Harris.  

• Upvote 1

this upcoming season is expected to be tough, and for any given year, success can be determined by the production and leadership of the seniors.

if we look at last year the 2014 seniors were

offense: D. Terrell...Ant. Johnson...C. Lemon...S. McKinney...M. Y'barbo...R. Pegram

defense: D. Mason...A. Lincoln...D. Akunne...L. Lee...J. Jones

There were lots of high expectations from this group that did not play out.  Regardless of all the schemes, style of play, play calling, coaching, etc...Most of these players did not perform to a high level.  One would expect a Senior to play at least average for his 4th year of college football.  When all was said and done, only two ended up on 1st team, one on 2nd team, and one honorable mention. 

are we headed for something similar?

2015 Seniors:  

offense: C. Harris...Mar. Smith...M. Banogu...Mi Thomas...A. Jimmerson...A. Mcnulty 

defense: K. buyers...Orr...A. Wallace...J. Marshall...C. Polk...M. Dash

billysee posed a similar question several times for the team as a whole, but I am asking as far as senior output and leadership.  Who in this group will play above average?  I'm not going to even be greedy.  I just want 2nd...3rd...team...even honorable mention CUSA.  We will need several of these seniors to step up.  If not, then we should immediately get ready for 2016 when we have a decent schedule and many players returning.

the coaching staff should let these seniors know ahead of time.  We do not have time to wait for a senior to get his production up to average.  It is costing a backup valuable reps, and hurts the future years.

as of right now, the only senior locks to start the whole season and possibly end up on a CUSA team are buyers and Harris.  

If an 'underperforming' Senior is still playing better than his underclassman replacement, I want that Senior to play.   We always need our best players out there.  In your scenario, we would perpetually be trying to 'play for next year'.
You-play-to-win-the-game.gif

• Upvote 1

If an 'underperforming' Senior is still playing better than his underclassman replacement, I want that Senior to play.   We always need our best players out there.  In your scenario, we would perpetually be trying to 'play for next year'.You-play-to-win-the-game.gif

I don't think we should play for next year right out of the gate, but at some point, you have to know when to say when.

We mismanaged playing time in 2013, when we were in a few blowouts, and we mismanaged 2014 when we were getting killed and not in bowl contention.  Both years we had opportunities to see what other players could do and get them valuable playing time.

Im not saying just straight out bench a Senior either.  You always want to go out there with your best and try to win the game.  Even if you start the same lineup every game, doesn't mean you have to finish with it.  If a Senior is underperforming and playing 75-80% of the game, then it should be cut down. 

• Upvote 1