Projecting UNT’s starting offensive lineup

Harry

North Texas came out of spring practice with a few key spots in its offensive lineup set heading into the 2015 season. Center Kaydon Kirby and wide receiver Carlos Harris have stared for years and aren’t vacating their spots this fall.

That doesn’t mean the Mean Green don’t have some questions to answer, though.

Andrew McNulty, who started the final six games at quarterback for UNT last season, will battle DaMarcus Smith for the starting job. The JUCO transfer will be eligible in the fall after missing spring practice.

While that battle will take center stage, UNT also has questions along it offensive line and at running back, where there is no clear-cut starter. The following is a projection of how UNT will line up when it opens the season at SMU on Sept. 12.

LT: Michael Banogu. The senior emerged as a capable replacement last season after four-year starter Antonio Johnson went down with an injury and missed the final two games of the season. He came out of spring practice as a starter.

Read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/06/unts-projected-starting-offensive-lineup.html/

While I don't disagree with Brett's list, I do have some initial thoughts.

- Chris Miles may be the next great lineman at UNT and I hope he is... but it scares the hell out of me to have a redshirt freshman starting at that position.

- I love Marcus Smith and he may be one of the best receiving tight ends we have had... I still think his blocking may be an issue.  Let's hope he has improved that.  My hope is Loving could really help us here in the blocking aspect this season.

- WR position looks small.  Turner Smiley is the biggest at 6-1 but I would like to see some of the bigger guys get some playing time as well.

If Chris Miles can play when the lights are on (much different than practice and spring) I will go out on a limb and say this could be a very good o-line.  I really like the additions of Rice and Ochs.  If they stick to the hurry up and quick passes type of offense we should be ok despite losing 4 starters.

Edited by Harry

Clearly, there are a lot of questions... Who will be the starting QB? Smith could blow the staff away and win the job. I doubt it though. Oline is looking good. A redshirt freshman starting anywhere makes me nervous. They are young and need more experience, but it does not mean he can not do the job. The oline has been strong in the past and I believe the coaches have to right guys to make it strong again. Shorter recievers may be why we might need M. Smith on the field. He has size, can get open in the endzone, and has hands. If we really spread it out this year, he may play more stand up tight end. Hell, who really knows? Lets just get started already!

• Upvote 1

WR has a real chance to be a strength, if someon can get them the ball. With Harris and Kahn as smallish    slot guys, Goree, Kidsy, and Smiley as mid size guys that can burn, and Rutherford, Grimm, and Thompson as tall guys on the outside, plus the TEs, a good QB should be licking his chops. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I watched him a once at practice and of course at the spring game. He's for sure heading in the right direction, but his weight and coordination hadn't quite caught up to his height, yet. He could absolutely add another 20 pounds to his frame, bc for his height he needs to be at least flirting with 220. I'm not sure what they have him listed at, but he can't be anymore than 200 pounds. Maybe 205. He should be a dandy come his RS So year. 

Not saying he can't be a contributor this year, but there is still apparent room for growth. 

• Upvote 1

I watched him a once at practice and of course at the spring game. He's for sure heading in the right direction, but his weight and coordination hadn't quite caught up to his height, yet. He could absolutely add another 20 pounds to his frame, bc for his height he needs to be at least flirting with 220. I'm not sure what they have him listed at, but he can't be anymore than 200 pounds. Maybe 205. He should be a dandy come his RS So year. 

Not saying he can't be a contributor this year, but there is still apparent room for growth. 

​My observation of him was somewhat different. I was impressed with how well he moved after he caught the ball on short passes....especially for someone so tall and lanky. I agree that he needs to add some weight. 

Rutherford packs a punch at the line of scrimmage, but it's different when catching the ball. But playing jumpball vs a corner will hopefully become effortless, especially if he can create that separation at the LOS. Please no screens for him.

If Chris Miles can play when the lights are on (much different than practice and spring) I will go out on a limb and say this could be a very good o-line.  I really like the additions of Rice and Ochs.  If they stick to the hurry up and quick passes type of offense we should be ok despite losing 4 starters.

​How did Banogu fare at LT?

I'm not terribly concerned about our O-line in terms of the run game, it's more about pass pro I'm concerned about.

While I don't disagree with Brett's list, I do have some initial thoughts.

- Chris Miles may be the next great lineman at UNT and I hope he is... but it scares the hell out of me to have a redshirt freshman starting at that position.

- I love Marcus Smith and he may be one of the best receiving tight ends we have had... I still think his blocking may be an issue.  Let's hope he has improved that.  My hope is Loving could really help us here in the blocking aspect this season.

- WR position looks small.  Turner Smiley is the biggest at 6-1 but I would like to see some of the bigger guys get some playing time as well.

​Right Tackle?   Why is that scary?   Now, if he were put on the left side... that would be different.
I think he's a special talent.  

I don't think those 3 WRs are going to be the starting WRs on September 5th, and of course, I don't think that QB is going to be the starter either.