SMU Announce 2017 &19 home and home with Ark State

Harry

People seriously don't get the jist of this thread. Pretty amazing.

The reason this is relevant to UNT athletics is because scheduling a home and home with SMU IS NO BIG DEAL.

Only at UNT would it be seen as some kind of scheduling miracle for which the AD should be praised. It's a sad reflection on the lack of expectations of the fan base, and the main reason nothing will ever change at UNT. 

As long as power brokers that support this program (staring a hole through you, Fly) continue to accept far below average performance by the AD, I wouldn't look for things to change anytime soon.

AD at UNT: Easiest job in College athletics.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

People seriously don't get the jist of this thread. Pretty amazing.

The reason this is relevant to UNT athletics is because scheduling a home and home with SMU IS NO BIG DEAL.

Only at UNT would it be seen as some kind of scheduling miracle for which the AD should be praised. It's a sad reflection on the lack of expectations of the fan base, and the main reason nothing will ever change at UNT.

As long as power brokers that support this program (staring a hole through you, Fly) continue to accept far below average performance by the AD, I wouldn't look for things to change anytime soon.

AD at UNT: Easiest job in College athletics.

This is basically what I have been trying to say for a while now. SMU is a fine team to play for us, because of the rivalry and proximity, but it should never be considered a premier opponent. They don't bring anyone to you stadium. And their very few fans think that they are just a hair behind Texas, Arkansas, and Texas A&M because of their SWC days, even though they are much closer to Texas State, Arkansas State, and North Texas.

I'm glad Arkansas State and SMU are playing each other--I think its great for Arkansas State, to be honest. But it says a lot about SMU's falling down the totem pole of FBS program that there are playing North Texas and Arkansas State in OOC. Yet we act like we pulled off this great coup because we got a long-term deal with SMU, a team that a long-term deal with 20 or 30 years ago would have moved the needle. Today, if they lose a few more games in this "series", all they will do is have one of their billionaire alums buy out the remainder of the planned games. This whole long-term series, to SMU, is all about beating us and getting our fans to come down to Ownby, Part 2. If we beat them quite a bit to start this series off, there is no way this thing gets played anytime beyond 2018, which would be the fifth game scheduled.

If you want to get really scared for our future OOC home opponents, imagine SMU buying out of the series with us and RV still putting the schedules together (no reason to believe he wouldn't be our AD in the next ten years, at least)--we will probably get Tarleton State, Midwestern State, and Prairie View A&M as home games to match up with Incarnate Word, Lamar, and Abilene Christian.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This is basically what I have been trying to say for a while now. SMU is a fine team to play for us, because of the rivalry and proximity, but it should never be considered a premier opponent. They don't bring anyone to you stadium. And their very few fans think that they are just a hair behind Texas, Arkansas, and Texas A&M because of their SWC days, even though they are much closer to Texas State, Arkansas State, and North Texas.

I'm glad Arkansas State and SMU are playing each other--I think its great for Arkansas State, to be honest. But it says a lot about SMU's falling down the totem pole of FBS program that there are playing North Texas and Arkansas State in OOC. Yet we act like we pulled off this great coup because we got a long-term deal with SMU, a team that a long-term deal with 20 or 30 years ago would have moved the needle. Today, if they lose a few more games in this "series", all they will do is have one of their billionaire alums buy out the remainder of the planned games. This whole long-term series, to SMU, is all about beating us and getting our fans to come down to Ownby, Part 2. If we beat them quite a bit to start this series off, there is no way this thing gets played anytime beyond 2018, which would be the fifth game scheduled.

If you want to get really scared for our future OOC home opponents, imagine SMU buying out of the series with us and RV still putting the schedules together (no reason to believe he wouldn't be our AD in the next ten years, at least)--we will probably get Tarleton State, Midwestern State, and Prairie View A&M as home games to match up with Incarnate Word, Lamar, and Abilene Christian.

I have no idea what the terms are behind that deal, but I would assume that if SMU were to buy out a 10 year series, there would be a HEFTY buyout clause.   That would bring in an influx of money for the Athletic Department, and free up the schedule for those 1-and-1's everyone wants. 

I have no idea what the terms are behind that deal, but I would assume that if SMU were to buy out a 10 year series, there would be a HEFTY buyout clause.   That would bring in an influx of money for the Athletic Department, and free up the schedule for those 1-and-1's everyone wants. 

I'm willing to bet that there is a buyout-friendly figure in this contract, at least to SMU's wallets. If Tulsa going off the schedule caused us to host Texas Southern, Nicholls State, Idaho, and Portland State as OOC games, imagine the destruction that SMU will cause if they drop out of this thing adter 4-5 years...hell, UNT-Dallas will probably get an even home-and-home series out of us, with the first game at Jaguar Field in front of a proud Lee Jackson and Royce West.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lol. Haven't you learned anything from this AD? Or listened to the words from his very mouth? He stated he WANTS to play P5s at their place because he wants the paycheck. He won't schedule any one and ones with them. He doesn't want to do that. He wants to get the paycheck that makes his job easier. He has shown that, said that, and demonstrated that.

What else do you guys need to see from this AD to prove to you that he views scheduling football games as a way to cover expenses, not generate new income? I mean, listen to the very words out of his freaking mouth in the podcast with Harry last year, for cripes sake.

This should be reason enough to can the guy. Throw on top of that the dismal overall performance of revenue programs during his tenure and the lie blaming Tulsa for his scheduling deficiencies, and it is truly unbelievable that RV still has employment at UNT.

UNT AD: Easiest job in college athletics.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Lol. Haven't you learned anything from this AD? Or listened to the words from his very mouth? He stated he WANTS to play P5s at their place because he wants the paycheck. He won't schedule any one and ones with them. He doesn't want to do that. He wants to get the paycheck that makes his job easier. He has shown that, said that, and demonstrated that.

What else do you guys need to see from this AD to prove to you that he views scheduling football games as a way to cover expenses, not generate new income? I mean, listen to the very words out of his freaking mouth in the podcast with Harry last year, for cripes sake.

This should be reason enough to can the guy. Throw on top of that the dismal overall performance of revenue programs during his tenure and the lie blaming Tulsa for his scheduling deficiencies, and it is truly unbelievable that RV still has employment at UNT.

UNT AD: Easiest job in college athletics.

Yes.  I understand all of that.  
I don't think you understand though...  We're scheduled with paycheck away games VS P5 teams through 2020.  In turn, we have balanced all of those (maybe not 2020?) with FCS paycheck home games.   They paycheck games are set.  We're not going to see any more or less of those than what is set.

What I'm saying is that if SMU were to buy out our series, that opens up a game per year for home-and-homes.   I HIGHLY DOUBT Rick would schedule additional paycheck games in place of the SMU games.  If so, I'd jump in and ride shotgun on the Fire RV Express you're conducting.

• Upvote 1

I think attempting to establish an annual OOC game against another program that is perceived above us on the totem pole is a good thing. 

There are other schools, such as Houston or to a lesser degree Tulsa or Tx St that would have worked, but smoo is about as close as it gets to being a recognizable, universally hated, in state team for our fan base that we could realistically try to establish a rivalry game with.  I think our series is a little different than the two game series with ArkSt.

The biggest hurdle standing in the way, in my mind, is the presence of the money game.  Once we can eliminate that game (and the associated FCS game), we can replace them with two FBS games.  One could be a bottom tier P5/upper tier G5 and the other a lower tier G5.

Once we are able to make those changes, it would put us on the same level as the top G5 programs.

It would sure be nice to know what it would take to eliminate the money game from the schedule.

• Upvote 1

I think attempting to establish an annual OOC game against another program that is perceived above us on the totem pole is a good thing. 

There are other schools, such as Houston or to a lesser degree Tulsa or Tx St that would have worked, but smoo is about as close as it gets to being a recognizable, universally hated, in state team for our fan base that we could realistically try to establish a rivalry game with.  I think our series is a little different than the two game series with ArkSt.

The biggest hurdle standing in the way, in my mind, is the presence of the money game.  Once we can eliminate that game (and the associated FCS game), we can replace them with two FBS games.  One could be a bottom tier P5/upper tier G5 and the other a lower tier G5.

Once we are able to make those changes, it would put us on the same level as the top G5 programs.

It would sure be nice to know what it would take to eliminate the money game from the schedule.

Even if you didn't have a series with SMU. Our OOC is filled with a lot of P5 home and homes including the renewal of our series with Texas Tech. Texas State on the other hand is another story but like always, your AD didn't even make an effort to get something set up with them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This thread is a dream come true for so many.

I totally agree. This is funny. Fans from to horrendous teams last year arguing who sucks less. I really have no opinion about SMU because I don't care but this thread is hilarious. It's got evil trolls, angry fans, insults, delusions of grandeur, lies, and chest pounding. 

This will be comical by the time we actually play. I'll have fun drinking beer at this game while kicking back and watching the pillow fight. I love it. 

• Upvote 2

Yes.  I understand all of that.  I don't think you understand though...  We're scheduled with paycheck away games VS P5 teams through 2020.  In turn, we have balanced all of those (maybe not 2020?) with FCS paycheck home games.   They paycheck games are set.  We're not going to see any more or less of those than what is set.

What I'm saying is that if SMU were to buy out our series, that opens up a game per year for home-and-homes.   I HIGHLY DOUBT Rick would schedule additional paycheck games in place of the SMU games.  If so, I'd jump in and ride shotgun on the Fire RV Express you're conducting.

By saying "those one and ones that everyone wants," you imply a one and one with a P5. At least when you are talking to me, which I assumed you were since you quoted my response.

That won't happen because RV wants the money to make his job easier.

I have zero power to affect RV's job one way or the other. I do, however, have power over my own finances. I find myself less and less attracted to this board and UNT athletics in general. It's like continually giving a crackhead $20 for food and watching him time and again go straight to his dealer to get the rock. At some point you just have to walk away.

This from a former basketball season ticket holder and current football club seat owner.

Take that for what it is worth.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

By saying "those one and ones that everyone wants," you imply a one and one with a P5. At least when you are talking to me, which I assumed you were since you quoted my response.

I have zero power to affect RV's job one way or the other. I do, however, have power over my own finances. I find myself less and less attracted to this board and UNT athletics in general. It's like continually giving a crackhead $20 for food and watching him time and again go straight to his dealer to get the rock. At some point you just have to walk away.

This from a former basketball season ticket holder and current football club seat owner.

You gotta admit, those club seats are pretty addicting given the whole game day experience.  Every guest I've ever brought has really loved it, too.  

It is gonna suck only getting to four home games this year.  I do hope that gets better, but it probably won't.  Not so much the five vs. six games, but I bet more and more games will fall on Tuesday mornings so television can show games of empty stadiums devoid of working fans.  Gonna get tired of paying for that if it becomes an annual trend and more than once a year.

We already have those necessary paycheck games scheduled through 2020.  Am I not making sense?

I think if another opportunity arose for games between 2016 - 2020 (like say, SMU bought out our series, so we had 4 openings, which was what was being discussed) you would see 2 home & home's scheduled.  Possibly with a P5 team (like we had with Indiana!) if the schedules lined up (You're dreaming if you think a UT/A&M/OU/etc... are coming).  

Again, I highly doubt that he would just sign 4 more paycheck games in that scenario, giving us 2 more years of schedules that look like 2015 (5 home games, 2 paychecks), and 2 seasons that would have us playing an additional paycheck away game instead of away @ SMU.  If you believe he would, you're just showing frustration and a complete lack of understanding.

Again, I highly doubt that he would just sign 4 more paycheck games in that scenario, giving us 2 more years of schedules that look like 2015 (5 home games, 2 paychecks), and 2 seasons that would have us playing an additional paycheck away game instead of away @ SMU.  If you believe he would, you're just showing frustration and a complete lack of understanding.

Why do you believe that RV wouldn't schedule additional away paycheck games? I don't know that he would do it every year, but I doubt he wouldn't take the quick money. He's done it before, he'll do it again.

Why do you believe that RV wouldn't schedule additional away paycheck games? I don't know that he would do it every year, but I doubt he wouldn't take the quick money. He's done it before, he'll do it again.

When did he do it before?   Way back in the early 00's when his budget was next-to-nothing?

2015, when the TN game of kick-the-can that started in ,what 2007?, finally caught up with him?

This is still purely hypothetical, but no way he would schedule 2 paycheck games now with the current budget/schedule he has.   If he did, I'd be just as loud as @UNT90 championing RV's ousting.

We already have those necessary paycheck games scheduled through 2020.  Am I not making sense?

I think if another opportunity arose for games between 2016 - 2020 (like say, SMU bought out our series, so we had 4 openings, which was what was being discussed) you would see 2 home & home's scheduled.  Possibly with a P5 team (like we had with Indiana!) if the schedules lined up (You're dreaming if you think a UT/A&M/OU/etc... are coming).  

No, I think he would sign 2 one and ones with other G5s. 

Because that is the easy way. And that is the route this AD always takes. 

So, we would trade SMU for Texas St., Colorado St. or some such generic, unexciting opponent. I understand the schedule better than most here. Remember who was the first to warn you about 2015 (which doesn't have one damn thing to do with Tulsa, by the way)? Remember I warned you about that 2 years out? 

But don't worry. RV considers SMU the crowning scheduling achievement of his time here. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.  

• Upvote 2