Behind Enemy Lines at the SMU Hall of Fame Banquet

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to provide a brief first hand account of the induction of Hayden Fry into the SMU Hall of Fame last night. I am pleased to report that there were no less than ten North Texas alumni, former players, and staff on hand to represent the Mean Green in celebrating Coach Fry's amazing 40+ years in Football. We made our presence known as we proudly displayed the Flying Worm on our jackets, and loudly cheered for the former NTSU coaching great. Even 3x Pro Bowler Jerry Ball took notice. He asked me after the ceremony, "What's with all the green stuff??" The highlight of the evening had to have been the opportunity to present both Coach Fry and Coach McCarney, who was also there to cheer on his mentor, with one of the lime green lapel pins that we had custom made for the event. Hayden is still as humorous an ornery as ever. The entire Fry family was very very nice, and all of the assembled Ponies were extremely gracious in welcoming a group of Eagles into their stable. It was a great night all around! Go Mean Green!!

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Upvote 2

That is fantastic! Thanks to you and all who attended for representing UNT and the Mean Green so well. Hayden Fry is still the best HC going and his coaching tree has many many branches.

Anyway to get one of those flying worm pins?

I only have a couple of pins left over. But if you're comfortable messaging me your info, I'd be happy to send you one.

Will do, but let me also know what I need to pay you for it...appreciate you...thank you.

I failed to mention this in my previous post, but I wanted to recognize some of the Hayden Fry era players and staff who were in attendance that night. Mike Henry, Tim Loftin, Garry "Tex" and Larry "Co-Tex" Smith were there. Along with former grad assistant Leonard "Mad Dog" Carey, and of course, Randy, Zach, and Kelly Fry. We also had the honor of sharing a table with former Fry assistant, and legendary high school football coach, John Paul Young. It was an absolute pleasure for this football wannabe to sit and listen to them share their stories of the good ol' days. If any of you happen to be forum members, thanks for an unforgettable evening!

Edited by Fry Guy
  • Upvote 2

Great coverage. Glad Coach Fry could be there. I only wish more of you could have witnessed his brilliance first hand while he was here.I have never, ever seen a greater motivator. Jordan Case would be the first to tell you that Coach Fry's teams went in expecting to win no matter who was the opponent. Sadly that was not the case with an extremely unmotivated 2014 team that we saw.

• Upvote 2

The Fry years will always be the benchmark I use to compare the success of our football program and likewise the Blakeley years for our basketball program. Thats when D1 was truely D1 and our success under these gentlemen on the field or on the court was legit. We were the real deal.

• Upvote 2

Thank you all who have expressed interest in having a Flying Worm pin, but I have already given away the few that I had. If the opportunity arises for more to be made in the future, I will be sure to let everyone know. GMG!

• Upvote 1