MGN: Who's to blame?

Mean_Green09

It’s been a tough year for UNT football fans. What seemed like a promising year has quickly vanished. Panic and doubt has crept into almost every fans mind. We are all left wondering who's to blame for what has transpired. Well, wonder no more because I have your answer.

#1. Dan McCarney

You know that moment when you were younger playing sports or really anytime in life and you made a mistake. Your coach, parent, or teacher asked why you did what you did. You would answer back with a response and they would give you that classic line of “If you know then why did you still do it”. That would be my comment to Coach McCarney this week. If you knew and you told us that your team was playing poorly why didn’t you fix it? You've given us the similar statements after 3 losses this year. You've told us that the play was unacceptable and embarrassing.

Read the rest here if you want: Who is to blame?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think he means it more as accountability. Sure we are all somewhat responsible for the program. If we all made that billion we promised ourselves we'd make before 30 years old we'd be in a much better position to T-Boone this thing.

But you get it.

This is on McCarney (mostly) because he is the man in charge. When the program wins or loses games his wikipedia page gets updated. I too, was disappointed by his "You May Not Achieve Your Dreams At North Texas" speech. I much preferred the Why Not North Texas one.

• Upvote 2

just to recap, we are asking who is to blame for leading us to our 4th bowl game win in program history, or who is to blame for seeing a program slip after one year of success amidst an otherwise terrible past ten years?

if you think that turning around a program like UNT was going to be a chart just showing a line growing at a 45 degree angle, you really need to rethink how this type of thing works.

good point.

hell, Gary Patterson took over a program that had gone 25-11 in the three previous years before he started coaching... he took over and in his third year the Frogs went 11-2... then in 2004 dropped to 5-6, with losses to UAB and Tulane... but the program recovered, and his team undoubtedly had more talent coming in when he started...

yet we are expecting Mac to pull off 8 win seasons from here on out just because we got a taste of success

slow the eff down everyone and quit yer bitchin... look at all the positives that Mac has brought...

Have we ever had a coach who trumpeted the program as much as he has?

I love hearing Mac speak so positively about UNT, even if half of it is bullsh... the dude loves coaching and is trying to make UNT a better program everyday... and if you are ready to jump offboard because of a 4 game stretch, you're kind of an idiot.

• Upvote 7

The really good programs, such as Alabama, RELOAD. The rest of us REBUILD. With no established QB and only 9 experienced players returning I don't know what REALISTICALLY we should of expected. If memory serves, most "experts" I saw [note I said "most"]had us behind UTSA,RICE, and LA TECH in the West.Having said that, I was shocked as anyone at our drubbing by UAB.We still have a chance to win a few more games, but you can let those bowl dreams go.We are a young, not very good team.And,if all else fails, why not blame the players?[sarcasm]

• Upvote 1

just to recap, we are asking who is to blame for leading us to our 4th bowl game win in program history, or who is to blame for seeing a program slip after one year of success amidst an otherwise terrible past ten years?

if you think that turning around a program like UNT was going to be a chart just showing a line growing at a 45 degree angle, you really need to rethink how this type of thing works.

Just blaming him for the struggles of this year. Not saying he needs to be fired at all. That's the last thing I'd want to see done. Just think he needs to rethink a few things in his program. Also we know it's hard. We don't need to hear it though. It just sounded like he was reaching for sympathy. Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 2

Yeah I am less disappointed with the losing (expected to some degree) than the discouragement in his statements. No shhht coach, we know the effing history we don't need you, of all people, to remind us how terrible it has been.

This is where I'm at as well. The losses aren't bothering me as they are others here . The LaTech game was realities punch to the face for me.

Look, Mac said these things at the most opportune time for Mac.

Last April, he was talking about how things had changed at UNT after signing day. I believe he stated we couldn't get these players when he first got here.

The narrative changes to fit the circumstance, as it does with any FBS college coach. Mac has been around a long time. Anything he says publicly is calculated. He wouldn't be very smart if it wasn't.

The closest we got to the truth was the postgame interview. Even then, Mac was smart enough to wait longer than usual to do the interview in order to collect his thoughts and say what he perceived to be the right thing in the moment. Even so, I think we got a little of the truth in that interview, which was refreshing.

Anything a day or 2 later is calculated. If you don't realize that, you haven't been watching college football very long.

Edited by UNT90

Mac is fire proof with a 5 year extension, not sure if that means 5 or 5 plus the 2 on the original contract. Anyway he knows that it will be almost impossible for NT to buy him out.

That being said, I think Mac is a competitor and will try as hard as anyone to win. The issue is can he? For some reason, not enough recruits are buying what he is selling. I don't think it is because the great stigma of NT, which he is only emphasizing by his rhetoric. The truth is that nearly every G5 program faces as many obstacles as NT if not more.

The blame game just doesn't work for a fourth year HC. Blaming the school, culture, fans and other faceless people or intangibles doesn't solve anything, it is just a form of not taking responsibility.

Every NT fan unless you became a fan last year has seen a lot of losing football at NT. I am far less concerned about the wins and loses than the "woe is me" statements coming from the head coach.

Mac is fire proof with a 5 year extension, not sure if that means 5 or 5 plus the 2 on the original contract. Anyway he knows that it will be almost impossible for NT to buy him out.

That being said, I think Mac is a competitor and will try as hard as anyone to win. The issue is can he? For some reason, not enough recruits are buying what he is selling. I don't think it is because the great stigma of NT, which he is only emphasizing by his rhetoric. The truth is that nearly every G5 program faces as many obstacles as NT if not more.

The blame game just doesn't work for a fourth year HC. Blaming the school, culture, fans and other faceless people or intangibles doesn't solve anything, it is just a form of not taking responsibility.

Every NT fan unless you became a fan last year has seen a lot of losing football at NT. I am far less concerned about the wins and loses than the "woe is me" statements coming from the head coach.

Mac was basically extended for 3 years. He signed a new 5 year contract before this season, negating the final 2 years of his old contract.

• Upvote 1

This message 100% approved by your "Green Light to Greatness Athletic Department of the University of North Texas."

Get the billboard crew ready!!!!!!

• Upvote 1