Worst UNT team since that Dodge years?

UNT90

I agree with you.

Poor tackling. Defense playing reactive and always a step behind. No really leadership. Questionable offensive play calling. Ridiculous turnovers. No depth. Bleak future.

What happened to Mac's 'this is just the beginning' speech of yesteryear.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1

Well, the "this is our one year of success!!" speech probably would have fallen flat.

I would have simply said nothing either way. I mean I get it. He is trying to rally the program. But in my opinion he just looks foolish. Like Benford foolish when he said we would go undefeated at home his first year.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1

No way. The TOs at QB deflated the team. How hard is it to play flawless to make up a 21pt deficit? We're talking 2 weeks in a row.

The Ds been playing behind the 8 ball year because of QB play. Now I'm not excusing them because they have problems too, but it's hard to take risks when you're forced to pitch a perfect game every week. They're not getting help and it's hurting their confidence.

• Upvote 2

I would have simply said nothing either way. I mean I get it. He is trying to rally the program. But in my opinion he just looks foolish. Like Benford foolish when he said we would go undefeated at home his first year.

Benford said that? Didn't know that. Yet another reason he should have been gone after year one.

No way. The TOs at QB deflated the team. How hard is it to play flawless to make up a 21pt deficit? We're talking 2 weeks in a row.

The Ds been playing behind the 8 ball year because of QB play. Now I'm not excusing them because they have problems too, but it's hard to take risks when you're forced to pitch a perfect game every week. They're not getting help and it's hurting their confidence.

I'd buy this if there weren't receivers running downfield without a defender within 10 yards...multiple times...each game.

My game plan against our defense? Run the ball. Pass the ball. Nothing more complex need be schemed.

• Upvote 4

I'd buy this if there weren't receivers running downfield without a defender within 10 yards...multiple times...each game.

My game plan against our defense? Run the ball. Pass the ball. Nothing more complex need be schemed.

The D sorely misses Trice, Orr, Wright, etc. No doubt about it. They seem to always be a step slower this year. They've lost some speed this year...

• Upvote 2

Huh, I doubt NT has signed 3 kids in the last fifty years that had a TCU offer.

Isn't that his point? With UT/OU/A&M always.getting the blue chippers in our backyard and EVERY other program in the country fighting for DFW's second-tier recruits, it makes it that much harder when programs like Baylor and TCU reach elite status. And I can remember MANY guys we have been recruiting in recent years who finally signed with TCU or Baylor. And if I wasn't so lazy, I would list some...

In regards to the "It's just too difficult to recruit against the world for Texas recruits" excuse, it's just that, an excuse IMO.

For instance, in 2012 sometime after ULM beat Arkansas in Little Rock to open the season, then later hosted Baylor in Monroe and lost to them by only 5, I pointed out in a thread here that 4 of ULM's 5 O linemen and,.....I believe it was their QB as well?... were all from Texas. 3 or 4 of which were from the DFW metroplex. They all chose Monroe and it's $4 Million Smoke-N-Mirrors football program over the likes of us and no telling who else?

So I'm not buying it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

If it wasn't for the HOD bowl last year, the discussion would probably be how long before McCarney is given a pink slip. Right now, I see a coach who looks over-the-hill and out of touch much like a certain coach who walked away from SMU a few weeks ago. This is McCarney's team, his players, his schemes, his coaches. There are no excuses for this team to be this bad.

• Downvote 1

We only have 9 returning starters from last year...and 3 of this year's defensive starters were out for this game. We don't have a lot of depth but that doesn't make us awful. We may squeak into bowl eligibility this year, but for the most part this year will be getting reps for the new round of guys learning. We're only halfway through the season, and that includes what are probably the majority of our toughest opponents. If the second half of this season is just as bad, I'll worry a bit more. If next season starts out this bleak (especially playing 3 away OOC games) then there might be a bit more reason to worry. But overall I think this season is shoring up the security of the team for the future, even if we do lose a couple of games that we could have won by pulling redshirts. You don't sacrifice a whole future season just to squeeze a couple more points out of a game or two. Or at least you shouldn't...though we all know of a couple of recent examples of that happening within the last few years....

• Upvote 4

We only have 9 returning starters from last year...and 3 of this year's defensive starters were out for this game. We don't have a lot of depth but that doesn't make us awful. We may squeak into bowl eligibility this year, but for the most part this year will be getting reps for the new round of guys learning. We're only halfway through the season, and that includes what are probably the majority of our toughest opponents. If the second half of this season is just as bad, I'll worry a bit more. If next season starts out this bleak (especially playing 3 away OOC games) then there might be a bit more reason to worry. But overall I think this season is shoring up the security of the team for the future, even if we do lose a couple of games that we could have won by pulling redshirts. You don't sacrifice a whole future season just to squeeze a couple more points out of a game or two. Or at least you shouldn't...though we all know of a couple of recent examples of that happening within the last few years....

And we will get blown smooth out in 2 of those road OOC games next year (Iowa and Tennessee). Not the confidence builders you want for a developing team.

But, hey, it's the 1990s way to pay the bills, so there is that...