SMU (June Jones) Interview

Cooley

Good interview. Scares me a bit. They have some good players. Will be a tough game. Glad we get them at home.

Don't kid yourself Harry, home or away will be equally tough. This series isn't a home nor away game for either team. The only difference will be the locker room they report to. SMU coaches will sell their team the idea of our upstart status in their view and our coaches will sell the opposite. All the kids will be ready to fight. Ain't a shuttle launch, it's old school football pride.
  • Upvote 1

Don't kid yourself Harry, home or away will be equally tough. This series isn't a home nor away game for either team. The only difference will be the locker room they report to. SMU coaches will sell their team the idea of our upstart status in their view and our coaches will sell the opposite. All the kids will be ready to fight. Ain't a shuttle launch, it's old school football pride.

Exactly. Home or away the stadium will be 80% green.

• Upvote 2

It's very difficult to beat A&M. (SMU also has a road game at Baylor and faces TCU.) We're not able to compete on the kids any more that those schools are recruiting because you come to look at our facilities, we don't have an indoor facility, we don't have huge meeting rooms. We don't have the things in place that some of these schools we're going against have. So unless there's a real attachment to me or to one of the coaches, it's tough to beat them on those kids. We have to find a Ced Lancaster, a Der'ikk Thompson, a Myles Crosby--guys like that, and build them up. We have a kid like that named Jerry Saena (from American Samoa) who got off the bus August 1 last year at 6-6, 261. We just weighed him and he weighs 320. We have to develop them. If he was already 320 and could do what he can do, guess what? They're going to Alabama or Tennessee or USC

.Sounds like Jones has the toughest job in all NCAA D1 football.

Have some faith. Every game should be looked at as tough. We can beat them. We have the coach and the players to do so.

Did I say we couldn't? I said its going to be a very tough game, which it is. Texas is the only thing I consider pretty much unwinnable (we can do it, but only if everything, and I mean everything, goes right). I expect SMU to be decided in the 4th qtr.

Jeez,

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3