Showers’ return to A&M doesn’t go as planned

Harry

COLLEGE STATION — For first-year UTEP head coach Sean Kugler, there were plenty of things that went wrong for the Miners in their 57-7 blowout loss to No. 12 Texas A&M on Saturday at Kyle Field.

But the most disappointment came earlier this week when it became official that UTEP quarterback and former Shoemaker standout Jameill Showers would not lead the Miners (1-7) against the Aggies (7-2).

“I’m pretty sure he was disappointed deep down, but he never showed it,” Kugler said. “I’m sure it was pretty emotional for him not to go out there and compete tonight, and to be honest with you, it hurts me knowing that kid didn’t get the opportunity because I felt bad for him.”

The loss was UTEP’s third all-time to Texas A&M.

The game was an anticipated one for Showers, who played in 11 games for Texas A&M before transferring to UTEP after Johnny Manziel solidified himself as the Aggie starter and became the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy in 2012.

Showers missed his return to College Station due to an injured right shoulder he sustained in a loss to Rice on Sept. 26.

Read more: http://kdhnews.com/kdhpressbox/showers-return-to-a-m-doesn-t-go-as-planned/article_bd9a73a8-4525-11e3-9fa5-0019bb30f31a.html