How much longer until hockey starts????

I've never been a Ruff fan, but this is his make it or break it year.  I don't know if I'd bring him back, but word is that Hitchcock wanted to come back here when we had the vacancy a few years ago.

Hopefully Nemi will become the number 1.  Nemi pitching a shutout, then Kari comes in and gives up 4 in last night's preseason game.

Not a Pringles Man fan either (nor a giant detractor), but would all this offensive talent work in a Hitch system in today's NHL?

Good coaches can adapt, as can good players. Look at the firepower we had in 99.   Yeah, is a different game now minus the clutching and grabbing, which Don Cherry and I both feel is contributing to the head injuries and the concussions. But the players can adapt.

Good coaches can adapt, as can good players. Look at the firepower we had in 99.   Yeah, is a different game now minus the clutching and grabbing, which Don Cherry and I both feel is contributing to the head injuries and the concussions. But the players can adapt.

You mean under an entirely different rulebook with no one averaging a point a game? That's your relevant sample instead of what's happened since in Philly, CBJ and St. Louis?

I can't see Hitch being successful with personnel that is almost the opposite of what he wants in his system.  We always hear good coaches can and should adapt but I tend to feel the total opposite.  Coaches typically have the biggest ego that's too big for their sake and they'll always want to have their guys that can execute the type of style they want their team to play.  And based on his first stint in Dallas several players were worn out on Hitch but because they were a special bunch and kept on winning that kinda cured a lot. We don't have to look that far just go the football board and you'll see the arrogance displayed. 

Look at the talent he's had, or hasn't had in those places.  

Yeah. If only those top four seeded Blues could develop a player or two. Or those Flyers teams. I loved 1999 as much as anyone, but the games done changed...actually to the point where bragging about agreeing with a clown like Don Cherry is not something to brag about. 

The only thing I think that would signify Hitch being successful in a second stint is the talent. Modano and company were able to win despite Hitch's defense first style. If ANYONE could pull it off again, I think it would be Benn and this batch of Stars.

Not sure why you'd call Don Cherry a clown, but whatever floats your boat.

The only thing I think that would signify Hitch being successful in a second stint is the talent. Modano and company were able to win despite Hitch's defense first style. If ANYONE could pull it off again, I think it would be Benn and this batch of Stars.

Not sure why you'd call Don Cherry a clown, but whatever floats your boat.

You think a puck posession team built to hold it for the majority of the game should play dump and chase when they can't win physical battles and have an undersized defense? Hatcher, Matvichuk, Chambers and Ludwig beating the crap out of people made it go. When the rules changed, they all vanished quickly and painfully. You think Goli chipping a puck into a corner so Benn, Seguin and Val can dig it out is the best use of this team? Did you enjoy all the success this style has had in the last decade in the playoffs? CBJ was a Hitch mulligan, but Philly and St. Louis had as much talent as anyone and have been beaten by lower ranked teams in the playoffs every year. This era is over. I liked it more, but this is the McCarney team style of the NHL. 

As for not unundestanding why Cherry is a clown, I'm going to assume you've never rooted for a non-North American player before or watched him at all, really.

Don Cherry is a clown indeed.  In fact most of the Canadians I've interacted with think he's a clown as well.  It's almost as if people like him because they have to like him not because they want to like him.

Don Cherry? Why? What is that aboot? 

Shit all I know is the Star's play Thursday and I like where we are going on paper. I would like to see only Klingberg join the rush. I would like to see Klingberg and Nemeth paired. I would like to see shots on goal with crashing the net on power plays, and someone in front of the goalie. The constant passing of last years power-play drove me nuts, so many times we did not even get a shot off let alone on net. Screen, Shoot, Crash. Damn. 

I wish they would get rid of the Marty Turco trapezoid  rule. I am looking forward to the 3-3 overtime we have lots of speed. 

Don Cherry? Why? What is that aboot? 

Shit all I know is the Star's play Thursday and I like where we are going on paper. I would like to see only Klingberg join the rush. I would like to see Klingberg and Nemeth paired. I would like to see shots on goal with crashing the net on power plays, and someone in front of the goalie. The constant passing of last years power-play drove me nuts, so many times we did not even get a shot off let alone on net. Screen, Shoot, Crash. Damn. 

I wish they would get rid of the Marty Turco trapezoid  rule. I am looking forward to the 3-3 overtime we have lots of speed. 

He's a complete idiot when he talks hockey in addition to him dressing like a moron but ok that's his bit so let it be.  He is VERY Canadian and he doesn't really have any positive thoughts or use of of people outside of North America.  It's well documented he's pretty much an elitist, bigot, racist etc.  I've heard him numerous times speak not so fondly about hockey overseas and he has major favoritism to the North American brand in addition to North American players usually.  My GF is Canadian and I've spent a ton of time in Canada and I can assure you that most of the people there I've ever spoken too all think Don Cherry is a complete idiot and are embarrassed that he's considered/labeled like Canadian royalty.  I've often heard the comparison of Don Cherry being like what John Madden is here and I don't know how one can come up with that comparison but it is what it is I guess.

As for the Stars I'm excited for the season to start just because I love hockey but I'm a little cautious in what to expect b/c they did not have a great preseason.  I get it's preseason but this team hasn't proven itself yet and so far haven't been good enough to say it's just preseason we'll be fine in the regular season.  I won't pretend to act like I've seen all the games etc but I've just seen small doses and I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't concerned at all.

Hockey starts today although the Stars play tomorrow but some great games on tonight.

MTL
TOR

NYR
CHI

VAN
CGY

SJ
LA

I am getting excited! 

I saw the game roster yesterday. I wonder who will be the 3 scratches. I kind of thought Johns would replace Oleksiak. I figure this is Goose's last year.

Forwards

1. Sharp
  2. Janmark
  3. JBenn
  4. Eaves
  5. Eakin
  6. Roussel
  7. Sceviour
  8. Moen
  9. Fiddler
  10. Nichushkin
  11. Hemsky
  12. Spezza
  13. Seguin
  14. Jokipakka
  15. Klingburg
  16.  Demers
  17. Oleksiak
  18. Nemeth
  19. Jordie Benn
  20. Goose
  21. Oduya
  22. Niemi
  23. Lehtonen

I had a great view this game. 

large.Opening_Night.jpg.ac9e3a3974f60735

large.The_Art_Ross_Trophy2015.jpg.50272f

Awesome - and on TV, it was actually a good crowd and more pro Dallas than usual with one of the top tier teams. Hopefully that continues all season, especially against Chicago.

A healthy, effective Hemsky really takes this depth to a new level.

Health will be key and since this is year 2 here he should be all settled in.  If he gets more aggressive and take more shots he'll get some great results.  I know he is what he is and people have been trying to get him to shoot more since his days with the Oilers but he can be so damn productive if he shoots more.

Awesome - and on TV, it was actually a good crowd and more pro Dallas than usual with one of the top tier teams. Hopefully that continues all season, especially against Chicago.

I was watching on TV as well and I think there were quite a few Pens fans but it was nice to see they literally had zilch to cheer and be happy about last night.  The row behind the Pens bench on TV was so great b/c they looked so pissed off and defeated.  

I did not get to see the whole game only the first period but they were dominating shots on goal and were up 2, I saw we let the Oilers back in the game but still were able to get it done in the third with a score of 4-2.