New Uniform Idea

MeanGreen01

Not to say we have to keep up with Oregon but I think their head coach said it best, "We don't have the incredible history like UT and Alabama, we can't compete with those programs when it comes to tradition. However, we sell our athletes and recruits the future and the excitement of building one!" I realize it's not just having cool uniforms that has made them consistently in the top 10 as of recently but its undeniable it has gotten the nations top athletes attention and put them on the map.

Teams that have an incredible history and tradition as strong as UT and Alabama don't need to change them. Teams like NT, Western Kentucky, UTSA, Oregon, are all trying to sell the future and build what those programs already have!

I believe we want to stop being average and at least strive to be the best and win a national championship one day! If we don't believe and put the effort into being the best, how can we ever expect to be the best!

Edited by MeanGreen01

Accurate definition.

When I say traditional I was meaning more like "not overtly tricked up," not "uniforms like Penn St." :D

My opinion:

Chrome: Possibly the worst thing you can do to a helmet.

Matte: I like them

Black: Most schools can get away with black. Just needs to incorporate your actual school colors.

Large log: Not a fan

Black logo on black helmet: Terrible

Numbers that are almost the same color as the uniform: Not a fan

Buffalo on Friday night looked pretty good except for the fact that you could barely see the logo on the helmet.

Just opinions. I like getting others point of view.

Not to say we have to keep up with Oregon but I think their head coach said it best, "We don't have the incredible history like UT and Alabama, we can't compete with those programs when it comes to tradition. However, we sell our athletes and recruits the future and the excitement of building one!" I realize it's not just having cool uniforms that has made them consistently in the top 10 as of recently but its undeniable it has gotten the nations top athletes attention and put them on the map.

Teams that have an incredible history and tradition as strong as UT and Alabama don't need to change them. Teams like NT, Western Kentucky, UTSA, Oregon, are all trying to sell the future and build what those programs already have!

I believe we want to stop being average and at least strive to be the best and win a national championship one day! If we don't believe and put the effort into being the best, how can we ever expect to be the best!

Nothing I can disagree with there.

Again, I really like the black uniforms. i just don't want to be over the top. BUT if you told me wearing Oregon-esque uniforms would have UNT ranked in the Top 10, I'd help pay for them.

I understand that every one has their own taste and opinion. I'm assuming the older fans views are going to be more conservative. The younger generation, which are recruits and who is being targeted, the ones who will be wearing them, like these new out of the box looks. Again it's not really about us, it's about what they like.

I absolutely hate the large logos on the helmets. See Boise State or USF. Looks horrid. Chrome numbers are ugly. Matte is ok but takes too much maintenance post-game. I think white pants should be an every game thing for us, home and away. Then on away games have an all white look, including helmets, but with green sow green numbers and appropriate stripes. Home games should be same white pants but with green jerseys and green helmet with white sow. Create these and make them look conservatively flashy and leave them the hell alone forever. The all white look on the road would be fantastic.

Nothing I can disagree with there.

Again, I really like the black uniforms. i just don't want to be over the top. BUT if you told me wearing Oregon-esque uniforms would have UNT ranked in the Top 10, I'd help pay for them.

Ok. I'll put it this way for you so hopefully it's clearer. It's about looking good, hype or cool in kid talk, so when you do have a team and play on local and national TV, high school recruits say to themselves that is where I want to go. I think I will put them on my visit list. Get great recruits hearing and seeing your school, perception is reality! Putting together some incredible recruiting classes year after year, and with you buying season tickets and NT gear, then yes we do have a shot at a Top 10. If you want to help pay for them it will be icing on the cake and I'm sure RV would appreciate it.

As stated before, it's not just uniforms of course, it's facilities and etc. as well. But it's a part of the puzzle more than you think these days.

Edited by MeanGreen01
  • Upvote 2

MeanGreen01: after my first post and your reply I would have never thought that we would actually agree, but I think we might :lol:

I do understand everything you said, I just hope we can get that attention without having to wear something too crazy.

I think what we are wearing now is very cool. The "North Texas" helmets pretty much said "we are an insigificant directional school," so the new SOW helmets are a big improvement. Mix in the black a couple of times a year and I think we're doing a good job of looking sharp.

Ben Gooding: the all white might look really good. I also agree with you about getting a base home and away uniform and sticking with it. Quit changing every few years.

• Upvote 1

Including Oregon in a discussion along with Western Kentucky, UTSA and us is laughable. Oregon has Phil Knight and his Nike billions funding the uniform a game trend. Oregon is like the clown in the circus. We are just waiting to see ,what they come up with next. We need to establish our brand and stick to it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Including Oregon in a discussion along with Western Kentucky, UTSA and us is laughable. Oregon has Phil Knight and his Nike billions funding the uniform a game trend. Oregon is like the clown in the circus. We are just waiting to see ,what they come up with next. We need to establish our brand and stick to it.

Brand? Are you saying if we add SOME new hype looks then we won't have a brand? Since Oregon changes every day they don't have a brand. I would, say they have established the "O" brand, the WTD" brand, different looks brand, and etc. I never have heard of Oregon 10-15 years ago, did you? First off no one is saying we need a different uniform per game, until last year we had 2 total. So that's misleading what point was being made. Also, not saying we are in the same league as Oregon right now but do realize they used to be consistently ranked last in FBS. Yes they do have Phil Knight so we will never be able to match them. But with nearly every school adopting, it's obviously important and what recruits like and want. I doubt they want to wear khakis every day of the week until they graduate.

I like our green home unis and white away, keep those for our brand or "traditional" uniform... I do like them actually, especially the home green ones and white pants. The away unis white tops and green pants are great but I also too would like to see all white with white helmets.....maybe add a white flat helmet with it or a green chrome! Nothing too out their but still hype for the youth! Our black unis with flat black helmets... That's not circus clown but changes it up some....maybe we see eye to eye on most, just throw in some hype things from time to time, chrome and flat helmets every once in awhile. Think youth, what excites them, not us. I'm a very conservative person BTW

Edited by MeanGreen01

Did you even read my first post? Not looking to have a uniform per game but we can add an extra uniform or various combos with some hype touch. I think I used TCU for example. They are very conservative, actually have our Black uniforms but they do add a chrome helmet, white flat helmet, and one Multi colored scale helmet. I doubt they would be considered clowns

Edited by MeanGreen01

I admittedly haven't kept close tabs on UTSA, but I'm unaware of them wearing different uniforms every game. They've had the same helmets every time I've seen them, but that's not saying much.

https://twitter.com/i_am_og3636/status/500358192552247296/photo/1

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11383656/uni-watch-2014-college-football-preview-covers-every-stitch#usa

And that's like one of six helmets they have.

Edited by Christopher Walker

I'm with Lifer. Stick to one, and make it a traditional one and market it with the tradition of winning.

I'm not buying the thought process that we have to keep reinventing the uniform wheel to recruit. If fancy uniforms is what helps bring in a recruit then we're failing in that endeavor cause we have changed uni's and have yet to bring in top talent at certain positions while watching walk-ons come in and earn starting positions from those we recruited with our fancy uniforms.

Players want to play. They don't care what they play in. Many teams in the country prove this every year...Bama, Auburn, Zero U, A&M, Penn St, Ohio St, Florida, tU, Nebraska, Clemson, Wisconsin, Tennessee, USC, UCLA, Georgia. Hell, look at traditional 1-AA teams, NDSt, Sam Houston, Montana. Even transitional Georgia Southern with their plane jane Blue helmets with the number on the side went into Atlanta Saturday and should have walked out with a win over GTech.

Amazingly all these teams and many others like them have managed to go out and find quality players at their level who don't require the blingy uniforms to play in.

Sorry, but I just don't see a need in it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Brand? Are you saying if we add SOME new hype looks then we won't have a brand? Since Oregon changes every day they don't have a brand. I would, say they have established the "O" brand, the WTD" brand, different looks brand, and etc. I never have heard of Oregon 10-15 years ago, did you? First off no one is saying we need a different uniform per game, until last year we had 2 total. So that's misleading what point was being made. Also, not saying we are in the same league as Oregon right now but do realize they used to be consistently ranked last in FBS. Yes they do have Phil Knight so we will never be able to match them. But with nearly every school adopting, it's obviously important and what recruits like and want. I doubt they want to wear khakis every day of the week until they graduate.

For one thing...yes people heard of Oregon more than 10-15 years ago. The played in the Rose Bowl in 1995. If you want to point to anything that started their rise - that was it. Not uniforms, not anything with bling. When Phil Knight saw his alma mater had made the Rose Bowl for the first time in generations, then he started pouring money into the school. Yes, they gained notoriety for the uniforms and that might've help them on the fringes. But once they had Knight building the palaces they call "facilities" they could have kept their old ugly uniforms from 1995, it wouldn't matter...kids would go there.

1399594_display_image1.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm with Lifer. Stick to one, and make it a traditional one and market it with the tradition of winning.

I'm not buying the thought process that we have to keep reinventing the uniform wheel to recruit. If fancy uniforms is what helps bring in a recruit then we're failing in that endeavor cause we have changed uni's and have yet to bring in top talent at certain positions while watching walk-ons come in and earn starting positions from those we recruited with our fancy uniforms.

Players want to play. They don't care what they play in. Many teams in the country prove this every year...Bama, Auburn, Zero U, A&M, Penn St, Ohio St, Florida, tU, Nebraska, Clemson, Wisconsin, Tennessee, USC, UCLA, Georgia. Hell, look at traditional 1-AA teams, NDSt, Sam Houston, Montana. Even transitional Georgia Southern with their plane jane Blue helmets with the number on the side went into Atlanta Saturday and should have walked out with a win over GTech.

Amazingly all these teams and many others like them have managed to go out and find quality players at their level who don't require the blingy uniforms to play in.

Sorry, but I just don't see a need in it.

Rick

This coming from a guy that still wears jorts:)

• Upvote 4

...agree we'll never be 1) a trendy Oregon or 2) a traditional Texas

so...what these concepts are supposed convey is a traditional "updated" look...that tastefully combines old school & new school...

IMO "we're doing it wrong"....we could save money and still get 2 or 3 different looks with

2 plain pants (1) white (1) black

3 jerseys (1) green (1) white (1) black

1 helmet (1) a traditional looking helmet with the NT letterman's logo that ties the old with the new...this logo would stay on the helmet and not change year to year or month to month. (ala Texas A&M or Texas Tech)

• Downvote 1