Baylor's AD is crying about scheduling

untjim1995

You'd think so, but their fans just abhor the idea of playing us, much like TCU fans did when we played them a while back. Their superior SWC mentality just kills me, but when you are in the club, I guess you get to feel that way. Since SMU, Rice, and UH are forever booted out just like us, now they are fine with playing UNT in football...amazing how that works.

You'd think so, but their fans just abhor the idea of playing us, much like TCU fans did when we played them a while back. Their superior SWC mentality just kills me, but when you are in the club, I guess you get to feel that way. Since SMU, Rice, and UH are forever booted out just like us, now they are fine with playing UNT in football...amazing how that works.

After a bowl season and a supposed commitment to athletics, they may be open to it.

Never know if you don't ask. A phone call should be made.

Also, did I read that thread right? Did they sign a home and home with Incarnate Word?

• Upvote 2

After a bowl season and a supposed commitment to athletics, they may be open to it.

Never know if you don't ask. A phone call should be made.

Also, did I read that thread right? Did they sign a home and home with Incarnate Word?

the thread says that, but the poster was incorrect...Baylor is not going to San Antonio to play @ Incarnate Word (they are going to SA to play utsa in 2018, though). The Baylor contract with IW is for a single home game in 2019.

I saw similar misinformation in another thread. Texas A&M is not traveling to Lafayette. They recently agreed to pay the Ragin Cajuns to come to College Station in 2017 for a "bodybag game."

• Upvote 1

the thread says that, but the poster was incorrect...Baylor is not going to San Antonio to play @ Incarnate Word (they are going to SA to play utsa in 2018, though). The Baylor contract with IW is for a single home game in 2019.

I saw similar misinformation in another thread. Texas A&M is not traveling to Lafayette. They recently agreed to pay the Ragin Cajuns to come to College Station in 2017 for a "bodybag game."

UTSA is going to get butt pounded next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Baylor, despite its recent success, still has to face reality - it is located in Waco.

What does that do for a school whose fans travel? Do major airlines fly directly into Waco, or even near Waco? No.

Dallas-Fort Worth is an hour and half away. Austin, the same. So, if what Baylor fans call "blue blood" fans had their school schedule a home and home against them, what is the draw? DFW and Austin aren't really at a convenient distance to say, "We'll hang out in Dallas or Austin a bit, then hit the game."

You look at, say, Kansas State. It's out in the middle of nowhere as well. But, within walking distance of the K-State's football stadium is Aggieville, with restaurants, bars, and whatnot. Do you have that at Baylor?

What do you really have at Baylor if you are a "blue blood" fan and your school chooses to play there? Nothing.

So, you can't fly into it, or even very near it. There is nothing to do once you arrive other than wait for the game. What do Bear fans really they think the draw is?

"Blue blood" fans have already been into big stadiums. They play in conferences full of them. Plus fans of "blue blood" schools have been to major bowl games in big, "state of the art" new stadiums already. So, no one outside of Baylor and its alumni are really going to give a crap about their new stadium either.

They basically have a big steaming plate of sh*t sandwiches that no one wants to eat with them. And, expensive sh*t sandwiches to boot.

Sadly, for Baylor, UTSA might be a better draw for the "blue bloods" simply because most yankees still fall for the idea that San Antonio is a neat place to visit. I mean, hell, if you think Tex-Mex is Mexican food, San Antonio is an exotic locale. And, having had a sister who used to live in Minnesota and Wisconsin, and trying to flag down even Tex-Mex-like fare there, I can tell you that those folk wouldn't know Mexican food if it took its sombrero off and tacked it on their asses with a churro.

• Upvote 2

Baylor, despite its recent success, still has to face reality - it is located in Waco.

What does that do for a school whose fans travel? Do major airlines fly directly into Waco, or even near Waco? No.

Dallas-Fort Worth is an hour and half away. Austin, the same. So, if what Baylor fans call "blue blood" fans had their school schedule a home and home against them, what is the draw? DFW and Austin aren't really at a convenient distance to say, "We'll hang out in Dallas or Austin a bit, then hit the game."

You look at, say, Kansas State. It's out in the middle of nowhere as well. But, within walking distance of the K-State's football stadium is Aggieville, with restaurants, bars, and whatnot. Do you have that at Baylor?

What do you really have at Baylor if you are a "blue blood" fan and your school chooses to play there? Nothing.

So, you can't fly into it, or even very near it. There is nothing to do once you arrive other than wait for the game. What do Bear fans really they think the draw is?

"Blue blood" fans have already been into big stadiums. They play in conferences full of them. Plus fans of "blue blood" schools have been to major bowl games in big, "state of the art" new stadiums already. So, no one outside of Baylor and its alumni are really going to give a crap about their new stadium either.

Apparently someone wants to see them play. Every game is a sell out this year. That's playing SMU, Louisiana Compass school, the frog, Okie Lite, KU and K-State.

That's with 15,000 more seats than Apogee and 20,000 fewer students the UNT. Visitor allotment is only 3,800 tickets.

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Apparently someone wants to see them play. Every game is a sell out this year. That's playing SMU, Louisiana Compass school, the frog, Okie Lite, KU and K-State.

That's with 15,000 more seats than Apogee and 20,000 fewer students the UNT. Visitor allotment is only 3,800 tickets.

Yes, their fans want to see them play. But, the gist of the article is that Baylor's AD was lamenting the fact that he couldn't get big schools in there, i.e. Michigan, Notre Dame, Southern Cal...the traditional powers.

If I'm the AD at Traditional Blue Blood University, I have to look at my donors and season ticket holders in the eye at events throughout the year. How am I selling them on the idea of spending their money to travel to Waco, Texas? And, that's in addition to asking them for money every year for other sh*t to keep us at the top of the heap. That's the problem Baylor's AD has: TBBU schools can't sell a trip to Mayberry, U.S.A. to their stakeholder.

Okie Lite, KU, and K-State have to go there because it is a conference game for them.

It is what it is: a school in Waco. Congratulations to Baylor on their recent success and new stadium. But, good luck enticing the Michigans and Notre Dames of the world to come to Waco simply because you have a new [Jerry Jones voice]stadjyum.[/Jerry Jones voice]

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

A big time school is not playing in Denton. Maybe a game at the cotton bowl or Jerry world.

So now we look at the lower and middle p5 schools who will probably get beat up by the big dogs in thier conferences. They need ooc wins. Now that UNT looks like a program on the rise, its going to be hard to schedule a lot of those schools. If im Kansas, I dont want to schedule UNT. I bet the conference officials dont want them going out and losing to g5 schools either.

If they wouldnt let a fcs victory count towards bowl eligibility, we probably would have a better shot with some of these mid p5 schools.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

A big time school is not playing in Denton. Maybe a game at the cotton bowl or Jerry world.

So now we look at the lower and middle p5 schools who will probably get beat up by the big dogs in thier conferences. They need ooc wins. Now that UNT looks like a program on the rise, its going to be hard to schedule a lot of those schools. If im Kansas, I dont want to schedule UNT. I bet the conference officials dont want them going out and losing to g5 schools either.

If they wouldnt let a fcs victory count towards bowl eligibility, we probably would have a better shot with some of these mid p5 schools.

If big time schools play 'lesser' schools than us, i am quite sure we can get a big time school here.

• Upvote 1

If big time schools play 'lesser' schools than us, i am quite sure we can get a big time school here.

We must have different definitions of "big time". Even the mid level p5 schools are doing 2 for 1s with lesser schools. If we agreed to a 2 for 1, we could get some better opponents to come to denton.

And you still have to be careful with the 2 for 1. It could mean two hard road games, possibly a loss at home (no sell out), and no money to show for it.

This right here.

The resignation in this fan base is pretty unbelievable. Anyplace else with our size, facilities, location, and resources wouldn't settle for the crap scheduling that has been occurring at UNT.

I guess a beat dog just accepts his fate.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The other thing about playing Baylor is that they are still just Baylor. Nobody cares about them nationally, so the stigma of losing to Baylor, even while they are really good right now under Briles, is still too much of a risk to the Blue Bloods that are in other P5 conferences. Say you're a Michigan or USC AD--if we play Baylor in a series, if you win, then it its a win over Baylor. But if you lose, its a loss to little ol' Baylor...Some of those AQs saw this when they played TCU in OOC when they were still in the MWC. Those losses stung harder, even though TCU was very good. Now, TCU has the DFW area advantage more than Baylor ever will, but the same thing still applies.

Kansas has played a home and home with Rice the last two years--and lost both. I don't know if that confimrs your argument or shoots a hole in it, but Rice and La Tech have both been on ther OOC schedule the last couple of years.

Kansas has played a home and home with Rice the last two years--and lost both. I don't know if that confimrs your argument or shoots a hole in it, but Rice and La Tech have both been on ther OOC schedule the last couple of years.

This reply really belongs in the basketball board.