Rice's Future OC Schedule.

DT 90

It's this type of small time thinking that has plauged UNT for years.

What if we were to schedule a top 25 team to Apogee. It's extremely hard to beat these types of teams on the road, but just about any knowledgable fan can tell you that a program defining win hasn't happened at UNT... Ever.

If you win this home game against a name ranked opponent, you would generate interest never before seen in this program.

Or, we could just keep doing things the same way which is obviously working???

Let all think big time and dream that some top P5 team will sign a one and one with NT. I really love the argument that anyone who looks at sports at NT with any kind of logic is labeled complacent and is really happy with the state of athletics at NT. It maybe small time thinking but at least it is thinking.

No, I would love NT to schedule Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, UT, Alabama and Florida State at Apogee. Hell, Florida State played a Fouts, why not come to Denton again. I bet any of those games would be a sell out. Of course, any of those schools would be losing millions of dollars to play at Denton, and I am sure their fans would be very happy with that scheduling.

While you are citing all these big time programs playing at NT's peer schools, do a little more research. Determine how many of those games are truly one and one series and quantify how many games like that actually happen. By quantify I don't mean a list of a handful of games in he last five years but what percentage of the total oc schedule for G5 teams are actually games of this type. I bet it is a very small percentage. Power programs do play occasionally against G5 teams despite the financial loss to practice away games but generally to land a game like that there has to be a major selling point.

UT vs Rice for example, other than the rationale I gave in the other post; will be a bonus for the thousands of UT fans in the Houston area. More than likely they will greatly outnumber the Rice fans and from that standpoint it will be like a home game for UT. That wouldn't happen at NT because the stadium is not big enough. We don't know the financial arrangements for the game, but I doubt Rice is getting the usual home team cut.

Edited by GrandGreen

Is it just me or does everyone think of "The Stand" every single time you hear or read something about Rice!? I am so thankful that I got the opportunity to witness this historical event live! I can foresee in 20-30 years The Stand will be on shirts and still in old NT Football flashback highlight films, making it even more special than we can imagine today! My kids, whenever I do have them, will definitely know about it! Ha

As Coach Mac always tells the team in team huddles, "How do ya want to be remembered?" They will be remembered as winners!

Go Mean Green!!

Not being played at UHs new digs.

And as stated earlier I doubt rice is playing those higher profiles games at its stadium

I know. I was posting it to confirm that OU wasn't going to UH's new stadium. Cougar King said possibly OU, and that tweet was the news that the OU game wouldn't be at their stadium.

No. Our scheduling is done years in advance. BYU was done when we still had Robertson. Our AD refuses to do 2 for 1s and 3 for 1s and he will not play at Reliant. Texas Tech, Arizona, Louisville, Vandy and (possibly) Oklahoma all are scheduled to play us at TDECU stadium.

Whoops.

Shocking that you don't know what the hell you are talking about...again.

People aren't complaining that Rice is playing Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor (twice) in the next few years, they are complaining that they are playing them AT HOME.

Plenty of other CUSA and SBC teams have gotten P5 schools to play at their stadium recently, so the question is why can't we?

KSU at Fouts and Indiana at Apogee are the only P5 schools we have been able to pull in recently, pardon us for being underwhelmed.

As long as we won't play in Dallas we will not schedule that caliber of games at home. Could never pay the guarantee that the sparse crowds in little "d" bring in. We had a natural for 2014 being the third game during the State Fair in the Cotton Bowl. H of D Bowl had already shown we can draw there.

• Downvote 2

As long as we won't play in Dallas we will not schedule that caliber of games at home.

How did Ark St get Mizzou into Jonesboro? How is La Tech getting Miss St into Ruston? How is MTSU getting Vanderbilt to Murfreesboro twice? How is ODU getting Virginia Tech into Norfolk twice? How is SMU getting Baylor into Ford Stadium? How is UTEP getting Arizona into El Paso?

Those are schools that have at least the same problems, if not more that us. (If you've ever travelled to Jonesboro, you know it's Idaho/Kibbie Dome hard to get to the area.)

If our peers are getting these home and home series to places like Jonesboro, Murfreesboro, Norfolk, etc., then we should be getting them into Denton.

• Upvote 2

I remember when people here were wetting their panties over the smu and army series. Now it just isn't good enough.

Well, that certainly wasn't me. I am not a fan of a 12 year series with anyone, especially when already facing largely restricted scheduling flexibility.

Well, that certainly wasn't me. I am not a fan of a 12 year series with anyone, especially when already facing largely restricted scheduling flexibility.

Sure, those can get tricky, but who wouldn't want a (former) Texas/aTm style rivalry? Plus we've got to make up our deficits in the SMU series anyway.

• Upvote 2

Why we can't get good OC just baffles me.

I imagine part of it is that some of these teams already play in the DFW market, with regularity coupled with the fact that Houston is a strong recruiting market.

There's no reason for Baylor to play UNT when they already play a game at Jerry's World against Tech and a game in FW every other year. Ditto for Texas.

Stanford and NW are peer academic institutions. And also enjoy the chance to play in front of Texas talent.

• Upvote 1

There's no reason for Baylor to play UNT when they already play a game at Jerry's World against Tech and a game in FW every other year.

They will be playing SMU @ Ford.

IMHO a 12 year series with SMU is the best scheduling RV has done while here. Rivalries build the fan base, at the end of the series there will be a bonafide rivalry with a team located in DFW. Just like the bowl game in the Cotton Bowl, fans south of Denton who don't usually make the trip over the Lake Lewisville bridge will come out to see the team. Some of them will get hooked and become die hards.

• Upvote 2

Why does everyone think local schools need to play in certain cities in Texas to get exposure there? Baylor doesn't need to play any games in DFW to recruit well here. Waco is an hour and a half away. It's not like their some school from across the country who kids over here have never heard of. Same with OU in Houston. They don't need to play in Houston to get exposure their or to help with recruiting.

Every recruit in this state knows who Baylor and OU are. They don't need to schedule out of conference games in the two biggest cities in this state for recruits to know who they are. They just need to win and they get to compete for the top kids in the state.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Why does everyone think local schools need to play in certain cities in Texas to get exposure there? Baylor doesn't need to play any games in DFW to recruit well here. Waco is an hour and a half away. It's not like their some school from across the country who kids over here have never heard of. Same with OU in Houston. They don't need to play in Houston to get exposure their or to help with recruiting.

Every recruit in this state knows who Baylor and OU are. They don't need to schedule out of conference games in the two biggest cities in this state for recruits to know who they are. They just need to win and they get to compete for the top kids in the state.

I imagine it's because they (Baylor/OU) can invite local recruits who don't have the means to travel to Waco/Norman, find lodging, etc. It's a decidedly different experience to "know about something" and to see it in person, while receiving special treatment.