Athlon predicts UNT v Marshall in champ game

If NT is lucky, maybe all three. Never mind, there is not enough luck in the state to have the officials call a fair game against Tu.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

There is a position, that some of these preseason mags are taking and it's putting more stock in "the program" than in returning starters, lettermen etc...

I tend to lean that way myself. What we saw in that UNLV win was more than just a few starters. They were great players and surely will be missed but the program has become physical, faster more disciplined. Would I prefer that we had a returning QB to lead us? Of course. But I have faith in Mac and his system, He hasn't built this deal relying on jucos. There are some guys who haven't played much but have been in the program for 2-3 years. For all we know, they could be good contributors this season and beyond.

I think we will run the ball very well this season. That will take some of the heat off of the defense early on so some of these younger players can find their way, I also think our special teams will be strong. We will miss Chancellor but we have a great punter and quite possibly the best kicking group we have had in a long time.

There is a position, that some of these preseason mags are taking and it's putting more stock in "the program" than in returning starters, lettermen etc...

I tend to lean that way myself. What we saw in that UNLV win was more than just a few starters. They were great players and surely will be missed but the program has become physical, faster more disciplined. Would I prefer that we had a returning QB to lead us? Of course. But I have faith in Mac and his system, He hasn't built this deal relying on jucos. There are some guys who haven't played much but have been in the program for 2-3 years. For all we know, they could be good contributors this season and beyond.

I think we will run the ball very well this season. That will take some of the heat off of the defense early on so some of these younger players can find their way, I also think our special teams will be strong. We will miss Chancellor but we have a great punter and quite possibly the best kicking group we have had in a long time.

I agree with a lot of this post. For some reason, most of these preseason predictions have us bowl eligible even though we are replacing a lot if starters.

Some of it is based on our weak schedule and that the teams we play lose key players also.

Returning starters from a 2-10 team, vs backups from a winning team. Who would you pick? Who's better? Last year we returned lots of starters and seniors, but did not get much positive pub because we were a losing team.

the team culture, atmosphere, philosophy, etc is just as important and it seems as if the mccarney factor is there and it is assumed we have turned the corner in the eyes of some.

As far as the "rebuilding" label that some use, I dont think we should be rebuilding. We have young qbs and DL, but the whole team does not need rebuilding. most schools have spots and positions that need rebuilding.

I still expect 7-5 or better. If you have a coach that has been here for 4 years, we should be reloading. If that is not the case, then there have been mistakes in recruiting. If we lose next year, it will be due to the qb position, and if that is the case, expect chico to be the scapegoat. And he probably should be.

I agree with a lot of this post. For some reason, most of these preseason predictions have us bowl eligible even though we are replacing a lot if starters.

Some of it is based on our weak schedule and that the teams we play lose key players also.

Returning starters from a 2-10 team, vs backups from a winning team. Who would you pick? Who's better? Last year we returned lots of starters and seniors, but did not get much positive pub because we were a losing team.

the team culture, atmosphere, philosophy, etc is just as important and it seems as if the mccarney factor is there and it is assumed we have turned the corner in the eyes of some.

As far as the "rebuilding" label that some use, I dont think we should be rebuilding. We have young qbs and DL, but the whole team does not need rebuilding. most schools have spots and positions that need rebuilding.

I still expect 7-5 or better. If you have a coach that has been here for 4 years, we should be reloading. If that is not the case, then there have been mistakes in recruiting. If we lose next year, it will be due to the qb position, and if that is the case, expect chico to be the scapegoat. And he probably should be.

Someone gets it. As far as Chico being the scapegoat, I think that is a little premature in the sense that he runs a system that his head coach enforces. In the event that someone does get fired, which UNT doesn't do often, it probably would be Chico. But I also think a firing in general isn't going to happen. Someone should be held accountable for the lack of recruiting, because in year 4 there should be a sense of a reload among the program rather than rebuild. For some reason I am getting a rebuild vibe coming from the coaching staff from just reading interviews that they have had at this point.

If we lose next year, it will be due to the qb position, and if that is the case, expect chico to be the scapegoat. And he probably should be.

HAHAHAHA.

Someone gets it. As far as Chico being the scapegoat, I think that is a little premature in the sense that he runs a system that his head coach enforces. In the event that someone does get fired, which UNT doesn't do often, it probably would be Chico.

Not exactly. No one here gets it apparently.

We won 9 games last year with that offense. How many times has that happened in history?

We scored 414 points last season. They weren't all offensive, but let me know how many years we've come close to that mark in school history.

If you ask me, Chico might be the best offensive coordinator we've ever had at this school. And people are talking about firing him? Are you shitting me?

• Upvote 3

HAHAHAHA.

Not exactly. No one here gets it apparently.

We won 9 games last year with that offense. How many times has that happened in history?

We scored 414 points last season. They weren't all offensive, but let me know how many years we've come close to that mark in school history.

If you ask me, Chico might be the best offensive coordinator we've ever had at this school. And people are talking about firing him? Are you shitting me?

I don't think anyone was talking about firing Chico as much as they were talking about holding people accountable for a potential shitty season in year 4. If a bad season takes place that would be 3 losing seasons in 4 years. Year 4 must be a stepping stone season. Accountability has to be implemented into North Texas athletics or we will tread in place forever. Someone must be held accountable if the unthinkable happens is all I am saying. With all that said I see a very doable 8-4 regular season, based almost all on having a putrid schedule. GMG Edited by Ben Gooding

Ok. well I hope that offense can win us some games this year since the defense and special teams may not be there to bail them out.

That's what I don't understand. Put the pressure on Chico and the offense, because you're nervous about the defense and special teams not doing their job?

Baffling.

I don't think anyone was talking about firing Chico as much as they were talking about holding people accountable for a potential shitty season in year 4. If a bad season takes place that would be 3 losing seasons in 4 years. Year 4 must be a stepping stone season. Accountability has to be implemented into North Texas athletics or we will tread in place forever. Someone must be held accountable if the unthinkable happens is all I am saying. With all that said I see a very doable 8-4 regular season, based almost all on having a putrid schedule. GMG

In the past 10 seasons, the one in which we won 9 games was unthinkable. Deciding to finally hold someone (an offensive guy?) responsible for some of the worst defenses I've ever watched before Mac got here is a little strange to me.

In the past 10 seasons, the one in which we won 9 games was unthinkable. Deciding to finally hold someone (an offensive guy?) responsible for some of the worst defenses I've ever watched before Mac got here is a little strange to me.

Well I wasn't the one referring to Chico has a potential scapegoat. That was someone else. I was just saying that someone should be held accountable.

Why does every positive thread turn into "fire this guy if..." and "we will suck at..."

Mr. Gooding, Coach Mac said just a couple weeks ago "great programs don't rebuild, they reload". Rebuild? Naw, this is our year!

Fire Chico? HAHAHAHAHAHA. We won't have the opportunity because he will be hired away before that happens. Also, that's my dude. Quit hating, haters.

We will pound the rock so many times this year it may drive some of you crazy. But that's how you win when you have an incredible, veteran O-line and a stable of RBs. Smash Mouth Mean Green Football.

D & Special Teams will ball out this year. Playmakers are ready to step in. Mr. 3rd Down is going to shine. Mason is hungry. Lest we forget, this is Coach Mac's first senior class. I feel this entire program is bought in. I'm sure as heck bought in. I wish the entire fan base would buy in and get behind this team rather than try to find excuses when the entire summer program is ahead of us.

Doesn't matter how many points the D or ST scored, you play as a team, you win as a team, and you lose as a team. I don't care if our D scores 21 points against UT if the final score is 21-20.

Athlon picked Mean Green Football to face an undefeated Marshall in the CUSA Championship. Get hyped Mean Green Nation!!! You want reasons for losing? Look in the mirror. Too many people sitting on their hands. Too many people standing out on the hill drinking during the game. Too many people still not accepting the fact that we have a fantastic head football coach who has completely changed the culture and has the next 5 years to cement his legacy on what has been a pretty nice career thus far.

I'll never forget the UTSA game, senior day. When people were too cold to show up. The ones who did were quiet. I could hear myself echo throughout Apogee and was surrounded by Blue & Orange. Say Soza beat us. Say it was this or that or maybe that we crapped the bed. But I will always place that loss squarely on the fans. Stop being a part of the problem.

Mark my words, win or lose in Austin the Mean Green section of DKR will be rocking and the loudest among all the sections in that stadium. Hope to carry that momentum into Apogee even though people are already complaining about the heat...

#GoMeanGreen #Believe

• Upvote 3

Why does every positive thread turn into "fire this guy if..." and "we will suck at..."

Mr. Gooding, Coach Mac said just a couple weeks ago "great programs don't rebuild, they reload". Rebuild? Naw, this is our year!

Fire Chico? HAHAHAHAHAHA. We won't have the opportunity because he will be hired away before that happens. Also, that's my dude. Quit hating, haters.

We will pound the rock so many times this year it may drive some of you crazy. But that's how you win when you have an incredible, veteran O-line and a stable of RBs. Smash Mouth Mean Green Football.

D & Special Teams will ball out this year. Playmakers are ready to step in. Mr. 3rd Down is going to shine. Mason is hungry. Lest we forget, this is Coach Mac's first senior class. I feel this entire program is bought in. I'm sure as heck bought in. I wish the entire fan base would buy in and get behind this team rather than try to find excuses when the entire summer program is ahead of us.

Doesn't matter how many points the D or ST scored, you play as a team, you win as a team, and you lose as a team. I don't care if our D scores 21 points against UT if the final score is 21-20.

Athlon picked Mean Green Football to face an undefeated Marshall in the CUSA Championship. Get hyped Mean Green Nation!!! You want reasons for losing? Look in the mirror. Too many people sitting on their hands. Too many people standing out on the hill drinking during the game. Too many people still not accepting the fact that we have a fantastic head football coach who has completely changed the culture and has the next 5 years to cement his legacy on what has been a pretty nice career thus far.

I'll never forget the UTSA game, senior day. When people were too cold to show up. The ones who did were quiet. I could hear myself echo throughout Apogee and was surrounded by Blue & Orange. Say Soza beat us. Say it was this or that or maybe that we crapped the bed. But I will always place that loss squarely on the fans. Stop being a part of the problem.

Mark my words, win or lose in Austin the Mean Green section of DKR will be rocking and the loudest among all the sections in that stadium. Hope to carry that momentum into Apogee even though people are already complaining about the heat...

#GoMeanGreen #Believe

Rah rah rah. Sis boom bah.

Fans lose a game? Didn't know they played or coached.

As far as telling fans to get to the game on a fan message board, preacher meet your choir.

Otherwise, good post?...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

:abe:

Rah rah rah. Sis boom bah.

Fans lose a game? Didn't know they played or coached.

As far as telling fans to get to the game on a fan message board, preacher meet your choir.

Otherwise, good post?...

I believe fans can lose a game, only because I witnessed the pathetic crowd that day. A day which should've been live af since it was our chance to clinch a spot in the CUSA Championship and honor those seniors. It's called home field advantage. It's a big deal, especially in CFB. When the opposing fans are there making more noise while their D is out there than MG fans made while our D was out there...it's pathetic. It contributes to a loss. Our job as fans is to hype these players up, but not much energy was happening that day.

So, no, I'm not preaching to the choir. While a majority of y'all are at the game, y'all are pretty darn quiet. UTSA fans were giving me props for trying to hype a dead crowd. Seriously, they said they respected my efforts while they laughed at the rest of the fans. It was nauseating and frustrating. Carlos Harris took to Twitter not long after that one and called y'all out.

All I'm trying to say is stop with the negativity. Stop doubting. I don't come on here to read why other fans think we are going to suck. What good is being a fan if you don't believe in your own team? If you won't make as much noise as possible to rattle the other team when they have the ball? Be loud, be proud, and believe. It's much more fun.

"Let's take the negativity out of it" - Coach Mac

• Upvote 1