GMG.com Bracket Challenge

JesseMartin

I thought for sure I picked UCLA instead of VCU. Weird. Oh well as long as FL, AZ and Louisville keep winning I should be okay. The way things have been going, though...that's a pretty tall order :P

Dayton with 3 upsets so far, holy crap. MSN had a slide show of the top 20 upsets of all time and I was thinking it was pretty dumb, lots of #4 vs. #1 where both schools tend to be perennial powerhouses. To me, "biggest upsets" means "who the hell is that and how did they beat a #(1, 2, 3, etc.) seed?".

Dayton with 3 upsets so far, holy crap. MSN had a slide show of the top 20 upsets of all time and I was thinking it was pretty dumb, lots of #4 vs. #1 where both schools tend to be perennial powerhouses. To me, "biggest upsets" means "who the hell is that and how did they beat a #(1, 2, 3, etc.) seed?".

Generally yes...though sometimes it's a huge upset when teams closer in seeding play. Duke over UNLV in 1991 comes to mind which was a 2 over a 1 in the Final Four. I guess you'd have to have been following basketball back then but the Running Rebels were winning games by an average margin of 30 points a game. I believe the closest they'd come that year to losing was an 8 point win. They were defending national champions and had beaten Duke the year before by 30.

No one gave the Blue Devils a shot in that game.

Edited by CMJ

If that was the exception rather than the rule, it'd be different, but when lists like the one I saw are literally almost ALL #1 vs. #2 or #4, it's like, "yeah, dude...HUGE upsets there." I can see if the one you listed, which I actually vaguely remember, and a couple others were mixed in with a bunch of "#2 loses to #15" and such. But as it stands, the list (and most others like it) should be "most exciting upsets by teams seeded not very far apart" or something like that.