2015 Class (DFW Area)

Cooley

Roger B. Brown

Elite News

(No online link available)

When it comes to high school sports, Texas has forever been known as a football sate and there’s no arguing that point. But nowadays, times are indeed a changing. That’s because boys’ high school hoops continues to gain national acclaim and exposure as a premier state for talent. As a matter of fact, there were a few hoots and complaints about Texas having too many selections (five) on the McDonald’s All-America team, including last year’s selections, Kimball’s Keith Frazier. This year there could be just as many as last year, which includes two of the top three players in the nation, Trinity’s Myles Turner and Prime Prep’s Emmanuel Mudiay leading the way. However, that could be just a premiere for what’s to come.

There are some who say that next year’s class of 2015 could be one of the best to ever come out of the area. In fact, there are some scouts who say this junior class could rival the 2001 group that featured Chris Bosh, Darren Williams and Daniel Horton at the top, as the best to ever come out of the area. “I don’t know if it’s quite that good, but it’s pretty close, said Mike Kunstadt, editor of Texas Hoops.com “It’s a very deep class with probably six, maybe even seven McDonald’s All-America types. “And it’s not just great at the top. It’s also very good in the middle, with another five or six guys who are right on the bubble as high-level prospects. It’s a class with solid point guards, good shooters and very good athletes.”

Depending on the recruiting lists, Elijah Thomas (Lancaster); D.J. Hogg (Plano West); Austin Grandstaff (Rockwall), Admon Gilder (Madison) and Mickey Mitchell (Plano West) are all considered prime McDonald’s candidates. “There is good balance in this class inside and out,” said Leroy McClure, Jr. who has been scouting this class for 10 years on the AAU circuit. “They can do a little bit of everything. And they also are a versatile bunch with skills in more than one area. Depth at all levels is what makes this class so special. “It’s a very strong class that got started early on and had a lot of success when they were just babies. I think the top of the class will have a chance to make a major impact on the next level right from the start.”

The top of the junior class also could represent the best in the state. And it appears as if the Metroplex has taken over as the hotbed for recruits in the Lone Star state. It’s not surprising to see coaches from national, top-notch programs sitting in the stands on any given night.

“It used to alternate between DFW and Houston every other year for the top players,” Kunstadt said. “But that has changed in recent years. DFW has clearly taken over as the premier area for the best players in the state. “I really like Tyler Davis, Elijah Thomas, King McClure, D.J. Hopp and Austin Granstaff as the top five players in the state , with Admon Gilder and Matthew McQuaid (Duncanville) right behind them. I think with the Bosh and Williams’ class is that they were all immediate stars at high-profile programs. That’s when you know they were an awesome and very special group.”

Jalon Miller (Seagoville) Juwan Evans (Kimball) Antwan Portley (Lancaster); Laasani Johnson (Bishop Dunne); Spencer Franklin (Fort Worth Trimble Tech; C.J. Massenburg (SOC); Emmanuel Nzekwesi (Trophy Club Byron Nelson); Terrance Hubby and Corinthian Ramsey (Mansfield Summit); Djery Baptiste (Prestonwoood); and Nick Rutherford (Allen) round out the list of top-rate junior in the area.

“The potential for this class is enormous, said Tom Rogers, director of the Whataburger tournament. “We’ve averaged about two All-Americans a year from this area over the last several years. That will more than double with this group. It is a supremely talented bunch.”

Texas Hoops.com

"Texas Top 127"

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texashoops/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3229

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I wonder if areas like DFW and Houston are just overrated and overhyped. Just as easy to find a player somewhere else out of the metroplex in Texas or a solid player from another state like josh white. I like how Benford has tried to grab guys from all around and not just focused in the DFW area. If there is another Tony Mitchell waiting by all means grab him, but there are some solid players all over the country.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why would we want another cancer like TM? Haven't you heard? He is the reason that Benford failed miserably last year...

He did not give his all a that is a know fact. I would not go so far as to say he was a known cancer. He just coasted in many games. He had to answer for that in interviews and when his draft stock dropped. In a year or two he will be playing decent minutes in the NBA, but UNT could have benefited from better play from him on the offensive end.

I would happily take another TMICH.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...