'15 DL Dailon Holmes

BillySee58

6'3" 230 lb defensive end from Denton HS. Could potentially have the size to move to 3-tech. Pretty raw athlete, but if his NCSA profile numbers are accurate, or close to, he definitely has the measurables to be a productive D1 player. We are his first offer.

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/tx/denton/denton-high-school/dailon-holmes

http://northtexas.scout.com/a.z?s=353&p=8&c=1&nid=7579635

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/193178/dailon-holmes

http://247sports.com/Player/Dailon-Holmes-48078

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Dailon-Holmes-164535

Film:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1345809/dailon-holmes

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

But wouldn't it be nice to have a DE over 250 lbs for once? (or a DT for that matter!!!!!!!)

I completely agree. If we can get legit tackles this year, then yeah. Mold that body to not get over the 250s and focus on his speed, agility, and quickness and leave him at SS DE.

TJ Tauaalo is a good example of a DT with good size who would be a good fit at the 3-tech. But until we get some more pure DTs that have the natural size and skill to play 1-tech, then Tauaalo will be needed there, rather than at 3-tech. Then we'll probably keep playing jumbo defensive ends at 3-tech and so forth. Not entirely a bad thing, as this year proved it can work.

But as for Holmes, he looks like a kid who could naturally get up in the 280s very quickly. Maybe by the time he starts college, or at least after a redshirt year. Or he could be in the 240s when he starts college. But it does appear that he has more of a frame to get up to DT weight naturally rather than having to eat 6 or 7 meals a day to get up to 260 like Ryan Boutwell selflessly did for us. Who knows? Just good to see the coaches in first on an under-the-radar local kid with a load of potential.

• Upvote 1

But wouldn't it be nice to have a DE over 250 lbs for once? (or a DT for that matter!!!!!!!)

A 275-pound defensive end in an even front doesn't do you a lot of good if he's too slow and stiff and lacks the explosion to properly play the edge.

If you're riding with an even front, you're sacrificing some size for speed. If you want hulking, two-gap linemen, find yourself an odd front scheme.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got his first rating on a recruiting site recently. Rated a 79, 2 star on 247. Just 1 point shy of being a 3 star, as 80 is good for a 3 star.

1 P5 offer he will be bumped to a 3 star. Hopefully it's a garbage P5 to keep him home. This dude needs to stay home. Keeping the home talent at home needs to become an annual trend.

1 P5 offer he will be bumped to a 3 star. Hopefully it's a garbage P5 to keep him home. This dude needs to stay home. Keeping the home talent at home needs to become an annual trend.

Maybe. Maybe not. There are too many unknowns to consider him a must situation.

What is his best position? Who is he competing with? Where does he stand with the recruiting staff? Does it mean turning away a 3* athlete with better stats just to take a local?

I'll admit with all things being equal I'd take the local nine times out of ten (at least until we get a pipeline established)..

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

His profile and background pic are of him in a UNT jersey....gotta be a good sign

It may be wise for Holmes, Eli Howard, or any other defensive end to strongly consider committing soon. We already have 3 defensive linemen committed including the grayshirts. 2 are defensive ends (Miller and Graham). I can't see us taking any more than 1 more defensive end.

However, a guy like Kenneth Mann (now up to 20 offers) is someone you make room for. Still holding out hope for him, but trying not to get too greedy after getting Sam Miller.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

It may be wise for Holmes, Eli Howard, or any other defensive end to strongly consider committing soon. We already have 3 defensive linemen committed including the grayshirts. 2 are defensive ends (Miller and Graham). I can't see us taking any more than 1 more defensive end.

However, a guy like Kenneth Mann (now up to 20 offers) is someone you make room for. Still holding out hope for him, but trying not to get too greedy after getting Sam Miller.

I would be surprised if all 3 of our grayshirts make it on campus.

I would be surprised if all 3 of our grayshirts make it on campus.

Yeah, but it's hard to see any of them not. Chumley is too talented for the coaches to pass on. As for the DeSoto kids, I think the last school in the country that Coach Mac wants to upset is DeSoto. If he doesn't honor their commitments and bring them in on scholarship in the spring, then that could be bad for our reputation at a school that we really, really like to recruit and currently have good standing at. So unless they choose not to make it in or don't get in because of grades, etc, then it's hard to see them not enrolling under scholarship.