OU qb transferring

meangreen15

Played in 2 games in 3 years. I know these players have high confidence in their abilities, but I'll never understand why players will sign on to teams with a very low probability of playing (multiple other players with 3, 4 or 5 stars playing in their position already). Just the prestige of signing with a power program like OU or Alabama? I'd rather play at a respectable D1 program each year than sit on the bench for a power conference team.

Played in 2 games in 3 years. I know these players have high confidence in their abilities, but I'll never understand why players will sign on to teams with a very low probability of playing (multiple other players with 3, 4 or 5 stars playing in their position already). Just the prestige of signing with a power program like OU or Alabama? I'd rather play at a respectable D1 program each year than sit on the bench for a power conference team.

His daddy was QB at OU, so that no doubt played into it. When it's a kid's lifelong dream to play at a particular school, it's hard to turn down that offer when it comes. And most good recruits are confident that they will be able eventually to work their way up the depth chart.

His daddy was QB at OU, so that no doubt played into it. When it's a kid's lifelong dream to play at a particular school, it's hard to turn down that offer when it comes. And most good recruits are confident that they will be able eventually to work their way up the depth chart.

Exactly.

I don't want the guy who thinks "Man, I have this offer from <Big school U>, but I don't think I can beat anyone on the depth chart there... I'm gonna settle for UNT."

Why would anyone want that kind of player? Chances are, if the guy doesn't think he can beat everyone at <Big School U>, then the reality is he's not going to beat out anyone at any FBS school. The player's mental makeup and drive is extremely important for his success.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him end up at Tulsa. TU had former Sooner J.C. Watt's son and now has Darnell Walker, Jr., whose dad played at OU and in the NFL and is now a Tulsa assistant.

Tulsa also offered him out of high school...and, has a need at QB. Wonder if Thompson is graduating from OU. He's been there three years; long enough to graduate early.

I say good. Kids only have four or five years to play. If they get their degrees and move on, so be it. They've only got one shot at it, then it's gone forever.

I think some of us forget that sometimes. These kids and their families invest a ton into their careers. The NCAA rules of eligibility are stacked against them.

If they've done right by a school, earned a degree, haven't caused problems off the field, but still haven't been able, for whatever reason, to get on the field much, God bless 'em, says I: go give it try somewhere else while you are picking up a graduate degree and so forth.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him end up at Tulsa. TU had former Sooner J.C. Watt's son and now has Darnell Walker, Jr., whose dad played at OU and in the NFL and is now a Tulsa assistant.

Tulsa also offered him out of high school...and, has a need at QB. Wonder if Thompson is graduating from OU. He's been there three years; long enough to graduate early.

He's graduating this spring and transferring after that.

He's graduating this spring and transferring after that.

If that's the case, looking 90 miles up the road to Tulsa is probably going be his best option. Tulsa's QB situation isn't squared away, and he'd fit well into the system Blankenship's toss-it-four-yards-either-side-of-the-line-of-scrimmage-and-hope-the-WRs-block-well offense. OU runs a similar offense; so, it wouldn't be reinventing the wheel for the kid.

For those who enjoy high school clips...mostly at QB, a couple at WR...he's lefty to boot, if you like lefty QBs:

On a side note, he was a junior high baseball teammate of Washington Nationals' Bryce Harper: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-bryce-harper-tweets-support-for-kendal-thompson/article/3893856