UC Riverside (01/04/14)

NT03

Alll the pregame festivities are over. Benford now has to play the teams he has no control over. We have 16 games in conference. Anything less than 6 wins would be a huge disappointment.

Don't you think it is sad that we have come to the point that if we are 6-10 in conference that we are not a disappointment?

• Upvote 1

We can bitch all day long about Benford or this or that, but the best thing we can do is show up and support this team. Bottom line (so far) is that this team has continued to win close games. Granted its been to WAY lesser opponents, but they keep winning. The players and school deserve our support. We have no reason to be entitled, we want respect we need to show up and earn it.

Lets feed off that excitement from the Aggie game and do something in conference play!

• Upvote 3

We can bitch all day long about Benford or this or that, but the best thing we can do is show up and support this team. Bottom line (so far) is that this team has continued to win close games. Granted its been to WAY lesser opponents, but they keep winning. The players and school deserve our support. We have no reason to be entitled, we want respect we need to show up and earn it.

Lets feed off that excitement from the Aggie game and do something in conference play!

Lets revisit this post after we finish conference play. Considering how we've played against what are some very weak teams, I think we're going to have some bad losses, many of them at home.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Lets revisit this post after we finish conference play. Considering how we've played against what are some very weak teams, I think we're going to have some bad losses, many of them at home.

I hope you're wrong, but in all honesty you are probably right. I just want fans to go out and support this team regardless of who the coach is or what the record is.

I hope you're wrong, but in all honesty you are probably right. I just want fans to go out and support this team regardless of who the coach is or what the record is.

What you are asking for is people to likely endure more losses like what we had against SFA. If we lose big against Southern Miss (13-2) we are at risk of losing the fans for the remainder of the season.

the_beatings_will_continue_until_morale_

What you are asking for is people to likely endure more losses like what we had against SFA. If we lose big against Southern Miss (13-2) we are at risk of losing the fans for the remainder of the season.

That's part of being a beat down program trying to work its way back up. Where does this fan base get any since of entitlement? Because we had Tony Mitchell play for us? We have only made the NCAA tourney 3 times in our history so lets not pretend that we have had a huge fall from grace. No quality player is going to want to play in front of an empty arena. Show up and have some pride, every team has rough losses during the season. Do i think we will make the tournament this year? Hell no. But i want us to start moving in the right direction and that starts by putting butts in the seats. I love my university and will continue to show my support through the good and the bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

People always show up to the cowboys games even though they have been mediocre at best over the past 4 or 5 years. No excuse for UNT fans to not do the same. But most seem to feel entitled to something and want to act all big and tough. Mavs sold out games when they were winning 40 a season.... Why could UNT not if they only win 5 games a year. Because their fans are miserable? They have no heart? They are not truly UNT fans? One of those would answer it. I could care less if we do not win another game in the next 3 seasons. I will show up to every home game and cheer them on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One can't ever compare football and basketball (or baseball...or hockey)attendance. It's a lot easier to have people show up for a handful of games even when the team is bad. Other sports that have many more games will always depend more on team performance simply because the time investment is so much greater.

People always show up to the cowboys games even though they have been mediocre at best over the past 4 or 5 years. No excuse for UNT fans to not do the same. But most seem to feel entitled to something and want to act all big and tough. Mavs sold out games when they were winning 40 a season.... Why could UNT not if they only win 5 games a year. Because their fans are miserable? They have no heart? They are not truly UNT fans? One of those would answer it. I could care less if we do not win another game in the next 3 seasons. I will show up to every home game and cheer them on.

Comparing the NCAA to the NBA/NFL is like comparing oranges to bowling balls. They are entirely different animals.

I wish you and others asking for people to show up despite the product being put onto the court understood that North Texas is a small core football fan base and an even smaller basketball fan base. Expecting people to sell out the Super Pit, which by the way wasn't even a feat that was done during the Johnny Jones era, has not been done in years (decades to be more accurate). The best anyone should hope for at this point in the middle of this train wreck is numbers north of 2,000. We won't hit 4,000 unless we get a Texas Tech or Oklahoma State to come in with their fan base.

If this team wants to help keep the fan base interested, beat Southern Miss on Thursday. If we lose by double digits I don't see us getting above 2,000 ever again sans UTEP for the remainder of the season.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

One can't ever compare football and basketball (or baseball...or hockey)attendance. It's a lot easier to have people show up for a handful of games even when the team is bad. Other sports that have many more games will always depend more on team performance simply because the time investment is so much greater.

We get what 14 maybe 15 home games a year at most. People can dedicate their time to that. This team and the sport itself are enjoyable to watch. The overhanging board adds a more excitement as well. The pit still needs some upgrading but it's a comfortable place to watch a game.

Comparing the NCAA to the NBA/NFL is like comparing oranges to bowling balls. They are entirely different animals.

I wish you and others asking for people to show up despite the product being put onto the court understood that North Texas is a small core football fan base and an even smaller basketball fan base. Expecting people to sell out the Super Pit, which by the way wasn't even a feat that was done during the Johnny Jones era, has not been done in years (decades to be more accurate). The best anyone should hope for at this point in the middle of this train wreck is numbers north of 2,000. We won't hit 4,000 unless we get a Texas Tech or Oklahoma State to come in with their fan base.

If this team want to help keep the fan base interested, beat Southern Miss on Thursday. If we lose by double digits I don't see us getting above 2,000 ever again sans UTEP for the remainder of the season.

Losing by double digits is most likely expected. Southern miss is the best team in conference and will probably beat us by 20 to 30 points unless something changes over the next few days.

Losing by double digits is most likely expected. Southern miss is the best team in conference and will probably beat us by 20 to 30 points unless something changes over the next few days.

If you can't expect a miracle against Southern Miss then stop expecting miracles from the fan base and accept the attendance numbers as they are.

• Upvote 2

We get what 14 maybe 15 home games a year at most. People can dedicate their time to that. This team and the sport itself are enjoyable to watch. The overhanging board adds a more excitement as well. The pit still needs some upgrading but it's a comfortable place to watch a game.

You don't have to preach that to me. I am just speaking the truth. Very few schools don't have some sort of "issue" with basketball attendance. Even a blue blood program like UCLA struggles to consistently fill their arena unless they're top 10 that season.

• Upvote 2

You don't have to preach that to me. I am just speaking the truth. Very few schools don't have some sort of "issue" with basketball attendance. Even a blue blood program like UCLA struggles to consistently fill their arena unless they're top 10 that season.

Yes because most games are at odd hours for many people to make them. Students should still come in and try to fill the void though. The ones who live on campus should come out.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you can't expect a miracle against Southern Miss then stop expecting miracles from the fan base and accept the attendance numbers as they are.

Then stop calling for the coach's head without supporting the program. Last year, whether you want to hear it or not, was not all on Benford. Don't get me wrong last season was a HUGE disappointment, but a number of factors contributed to the lack of success. Injuries played a huge role in the struggles. Tony also failed to live up to the hype. Tony Mitchell's are a dime a dozen across the nation, we just hadn't had one for ourselves. He spent the majority of the year regretting his decision to stay and it showed on the court.

The main reason I want to see attendance numbers increase or at least maintain is so the department earns more revenue that we can put back into the team. I want this team to succeed in Conference USA and to return to the tournament. I would just like everyone who bitches on this message board to actually show up to a damn game instead of complaining about something they've never seen for themselves.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Then stop calling for the coach's head without supporting the program.

Season ticket holder + Mean Green Club Member. Section 117 Row A Seats 1 & 2. Come say hi before a game.

Gosh, I forget when I started getting season tickets for MBB but it easily has been for the past four or five years for sure and it won't end even if we go winless.

Been a fan since 2001 even before JJ got the ball rolling when I was a student. Been to a few conference tournaments (One in Denton and several in Hot Springs).

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2

Then stop calling for the coach's head without supporting the program. Last year, whether you want to hear it or not, was not all on Benford. Don't get me wrong last season was a HUGE disappointment, but a number of factors contributed to the lack of success. Injuries played a huge role in the struggles. Tony also failed to live up to the hype. Tony Mitchell's are a dime a dozen across the nation, we just hadn't had one for ourselves. He spent the majority of the year regretting his decision to stay and it showed on the court.

The main reason I want to see attendance numbers increase or at least maintain is so the department earns more revenue that we can put back into the team. I want this team to succeed in Conference USA and to return to the tournament. I would just like everyone who bitches on this message board to actually show up to a damn game instead of complaining about something they've never seen for themselves.

Judging solely by your join date, you're new here.

I have season tickets, I go to almost every game. There are others who never attend but put me to shame on their knowledge of UNT basketball and follow the best they can from other states. Last season was a disaster, one which I believe can be laid squarely on the AD. The AD has done everything they can to hide the fact that this coaching hire is a monsterous mistake. Looking at the attendance numbers, it's working. The AD is getting exactly what they asked for and a promising program is wrecked.

People are free to choose what they do with their time and money. I can't fault people for not coming to games this season or last. The AD, the coach, and the players haven't given them compelling reasons to attend. People are voting with their wallets and feet and I don't think the fault lies with the consumer.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

Season ticket holder + Mean Green Club Member. Section 117 Row A Seats 1 & 2. Come say hi before a game.

Gosh, I forget when I started getting season tickets for MBB but it easily has been for the past four or five years for sure and it won't end even if we go winless.

My apologies. Glad you're a season ticket holder and sticking by it!

• Upvote 1

I've seen it in person. Bumford still looks lost. Now what?

And as to the "we have no right to such a sense of entitlement" fallacy, we went from a 20 WIN team to a 20 LOSS team in a single season with essentially the same roster. Did Tony Mitchell start being "a dime a dozen" in the span of months? Did the Sun Belt become the Big East overnight?

I swear, some of you could look at a plane crash where the pilot was drunk and say "there's a lot of blame to go around, the flight attendants were slow with drink service"

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

i mean this with absolute seriousness sincerity to help me understand your perspective: in what way did he look lost against UCR?

For starters, his offense still passes the ball around until WELL into the shot clock before throwing up whatever they can. CJ looks nothing like the player he was. Nor did Jordan Williams who I think went timid to the basket. UCR shouldn't have been within 20 rebounds of us, because Benford's focus was supposed to be defense and rebounding, right? You and I even discussed that perhaps he didn't "have players for his system" but I've since reconsidered. He has a lot of his own guys (well, those that he can actually get to campus). His solution all game long was to sub 2-3 players at a time and throw his hands up.

I know, I know, the players aren't buying in or aren't understanding his genius (not saying you feel this way but it's what I've consistently seen thrown out there). That's a coach's JOB. You can't say it's a great system but just not being bought into. That's like saying Communism is a swell idea, Stalin was misunderstood, but the Russian people just wouldn't "buy in".

By the way, you also lost me with saying Andrew was level headed.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1

thanks for your response. all food to be digested.

you are right in some things. our half-court offense seems slow and there were times I wanted JW to drive or CJ to take the open jumper. (is coaching the reason JW is hesitant to drive? i take it you think so; and it could be)

i think there is still some speculation (read: bias) in your accounts though like the subbing or rebound totals, but things like that will tell their own tale; no need for me to debate.

• Upvote 1

thanks for your response. all food to be digested.

you are right in some things. our half-court offense seems slow and there were times I wanted JW to drive or CJ to take the open jumper. (is coaching the reason JW is hesitant to drive? i take it you think so; and it could be)

i think there is still some speculation (read: bias) in your accounts though like the subbing or rebound totals, but things like that will tell their own tale; no need for me to debate.

JW has been hesitant to drive the lane (when in a half-court set) since the day he got here. Nothing has changed there.

I understand what people are saying about Chris. He just does not look like the same player we saw during his freshman campaign & before he was injured. Not sure why...

• Upvote 1