North Texas home games Cotton Bowl under Rod Rust in '72

C Vo

Here's a link from James L. Rogers Book "The Story of North Texas" page 476. I didn't know that North Texas played home games at The Cotton Bowl in the early '70's under Rod Rust. I know we played Texas Stadium home games over the years, but I've been around North Texas Football since the mid 80's and this is the first time I've read a reference to playing home games at The Cotton Bowl.

Does anyone have more information on this and who we played at The Cotton Bowl?

http://books.google.com/books?id=uEqJXwQHe6kC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=cotton%20bowl&f=false

Edited by C Vo
  • Upvote 2

I know for a fact that we played BYU, Oklahoma State and UTA at the Cotton Bowl...could be more that slips my mind. We were really bad in '72 and I think there were 12 people at the game vs. BYU...I was one of them. Golden Richards had a field day against us.

I know for a fact that we played BYU, Oklahoma State and UTA at the Cotton Bowl...could be more that slips my mind. We were really bad in '72 and I think there were 12 people at the game vs. BYU...I was one of them. Golden Richards had a field day against us.

I was one of the other 11 but I can't remember if all of us stayed for the concert after the game.

I don't know about the Rod Rust era, but we played both OkState and UTA in the Cotton Bowl in 1981 - the one year Bob Tyler "era".. The OkState game was the most boring game I've ever been to - we lost 9-0 - three field goals. It was during the state fair, and had a country music concert afterwards, where the musicians said "where is everyone?" - the attendance was so bad. I'm still pissed that they started playing the second time ran out, before we could get a chance to play "Glory to the Green".

I don't remember the UTA game, other than I know I was there, since I was in the band.

I don't know about the Rod Rust era, but we played both OkState and UTA in the Cotton Bowl in 1981 - the one year Bob Tyler "era".. The OkState game was the most boring game I've ever been to - we lost 9-0 - three field goals. It was during the state fair, and had a country music concert afterwards, where the musicians said "where is everyone?" - the attendance was so bad. I'm still pissed that they started playing the second time ran out, before we could get a chance to play "Glory to the Green".

I don't remember the UTA game, other than I know I was there, since I was in the band

Right on, Stix. The country music artist was T.G. Shepherd and about 12 of us stayed to hear him. The BYU game was ten years earlier (1971) and was the debut of quarterback Rick Shaw. He later got a little better but definitely wasn't good that night. UTA was a boring 6-7 loss. Now you have me worried about our fourth appearance at Cotton Bowl stadium.

If I remember correctly, we were supposed to play the first game in Texas Stadium against BYU, but it wasn't quite finished in time so the game was moved to the Cotton Bowl. If I am wrong about this, let me know. I do remember hearing the tired old "I don't care how you bring'um, as long as you Bring'um young" back then from would be comedian radio announcers.

Right on, Stix. The country music artist was T.G. Shepherd and about 12 of us stayed to hear him. The BYU game was ten years earlier (1971) and was the debut of quarterback Rick Shaw. He later got a little better but definitely wasn't good that night. UTA was a boring 6-7 loss. Now you have me worried about our fourth appearance at Cotton Bowl stadium.

I was one of the 12, Jack. Not "Disciples" but Mean Green fans who saw T.G. Sheppard, Kitty Wells, Carl Perkins (who wrote "Blue Suede Shoes" a very bad comedian named Elmer Phud-pucker (truly was his name) and his humor was very blue.

Will never forget the expression T.G. Sheppard had on his face when he came out on stage seeing so few fans. T.G. even had a big hit at the time called "Party Time."

I swore after that last Cotton Bowl game in 1981 that I'd never go back to Fair Park but guess I lied because I (along with a cast of tens of thousands) will be there supporting the Mean Green of North Texas on New Years Day!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If I remember correctly, we were supposed to play the first game in Texas Stadium against BYU, but it wasn't quite finished in time so the game was moved to the Cotton Bowl. If I am wrong about this, let me know. I do remember hearing the tired old "I don't care how you bring'um, as long as you Bring'um young" back then from would be comedian radio announcers.

You are correct. I remember it well. This was my first game and introduction to the weird world of North Texas football. There were almost no North Texas fans at the game but many Mormons. It was like an away game for us, which of course, we lost. I also recall the Bring 'um young jokes but also recall this chant from that era:

Give 'em hell Rod Rust, give em hell...

Ah hell...give em Rod Rust.

You are correct. I remember it well. This was my first game and introduction to the weird world of North Texas football. There were almost no North Texas fans at the game but many Mormons. It was like an away game for us, which of course, we lost. I also recall the Bring 'um young jokes but also recall this chant from that era:

LOL!

Rick

Hmm, this chant could be revived in the super pit...
  • Upvote 1