How far was Roy Hobbs' Final HR?

So, I was watching The Natural for like...the 50th time tonight. And I wondered for at least the thousandth time...how far would that ball have gone without hitting the lights? It didn't seem to be on a downward trajectory yet, so at the worst it had peaked and was about to start coming down when started the "firework" display...but you're still talking...600...650 feet? More? Anyone ever theorized this?

Random maybe considering the film is nearly 30 years old, but I wanted some opinions. :)

• Upvote 1

If I knew the dimensions of the ballpark, I could tell you.

I think it was 330 feet at the foul pole, but it wasn't clear where the ball was hit...how deep the grandstand was, or how tall the light poles were above the park

Edited by CMJ

I need to watch it again anyway, it's probably been 20 years or more. But I could probably get a rough estimate from that. The key is to see if the arc had reached its apex; if not, it would be far more difficult to tell how far it would have gone before beginning its descent. If you can see a point where it began to drop (and/or if I can get a rough estimate of the speed of the ball at the onset of the parabolic ascent and the approximate angle thereof), then I should be able to calculate at least a rough estimate of the potential distance. This could be a fun project. Haven't been using/practicing that skill set much so this could help me dust off the cobwebs ;)

So in looking through google to see if anyone had attempted to calculate this, I found an interesting assertion that I can't substantiate without watching the movie.

They said that Roy Hobbs hit the home run, and everybody went home, but why? The Knights were the visiting team, so the Pirates were still due up in the bottom of the inning.

I found the youtube clip of the home run and the Knights are wearing home whites, the Pirates in road grays.

Anybody got a definitive answer on to who was the home team?

I need to watch it again anyway, it's probably been 20 years or more. But I could probably get a rough estimate from that. The key is to see if the arc had reached its apex; if not, it would be far more difficult to tell how far it would have gone before beginning its descent. If you can see a point where it began to drop (and/or if I can get a rough estimate of the speed of the ball at the onset of the parabolic ascent and the approximate angle thereof), then I should be able to calculate at least a rough estimate of the potential distance. This could be a fun project. Haven't been using/practicing that skill set much so this could help me dust off the cobwebs ;)

I did a bit of research by watching sections of the film again...left field was 330, but he hit it to right...which was 310 at the pole. However, it's not obvious if it was right at the pole...or nearer center. Plus, again...I'm not sure how high up the lights are above the field, OR how deep the grandstand is.

A lot of variables!

(I love the dude who says "HOLY SH&* --- I can't imagine seeing a shot that massive in real life)

Edited by CMJ

Being a former baseball player, I have only watched this movie once, maybe twice. Just not a fan of the "over the top" segments such as the final scene and the Wrigley clock breaking home run.

I can respect that, though the film never tries to realistic. It's obviously trying to be mythological - sort of breathing life into the sort of prose Grantland Rice wrote. Back to a time when sports heroes were more fable than fact.

Edited by CMJ

Sabermetrics obsessed GMs would never give Roy Hobbs an invite to spring training.

:lol:

I am not sure they ever mention how many homers he hit, his RBI's, or his batting average...and those are stats that the sabermetric people often throw out now! Who the hell knows what his WAR was.

Being a former baseball player, I have only watched this movie once, maybe twice. Just not a fan of the "over the top" segments such as the final scene and the Wrigley clock breaking home run.

Oh, you're that guy . . . "NO WAY that house makes it through the tornado! Dorothy and Toto would be dead!"

• Upvote 1