Who should be our next Men's head coach?

UNT90

Players quitting is a coaching problem.

This program was set to take a step up to the next level and has now taken 3 steps back. Big steps.

No eligible. HS recruits remaining from his first 2 classes. Does he need to learn how to recruit, also?

Look, we are, or should be, far beyond hiring a head coaching starter kit and them hoping the parts fit together. Our AD told is we are past this point and them turned around and hired this starter kit.

That was THE most important basketball coaching hire in the last 30 years, and not only did we blow it, we refuse to acknowledge that we blew it.

If you can't see that, you are either drunk in green koolaid or just don't understand college basketball.

Quite the broad brush statement to say that players quitting is a coaching problem

• Upvote 3

Lets see how Rick Barnes does this year. His players quit on him and then ended up transferring. I think it maybe his last year at UT, but his team is really young and playing with a lot of effort early on.

And Rick Barnes will be gone at the end of this year if he fails to win?

Will Benford?

And Barnes's track record gives him an extra year to try and fix the problem. Benford had no track record and created the problem.

Should be gone.

And Rick Barnes will be gone at the end of this year if he fails to win?

Will Benford?

And Barnes's track record gives him an extra year to try and fix the problem. Benford had no track record and created the problem.

Should be gone.

Would you take Barnes as a replacement?

If Benford fails as bad as you seem to think this team will. I'll agree with you he should be gone. If we see moderate improvement like I believe then I think he should get 3rd year with the hot seat label. Like he has to finish in the top 4 of the conf and earn either an NCAA or NIT bid.

Would you take Barnes as a replacement?

If Benford fails as bad as you seem to think this team will. I'll agree with you he should be gone. If we see moderate improvement like I believe then I think he should get 3rd year with the hot seat label. Like he has to finish in the top 4 of the conf and earn either an NCAA or NIT bid.

bear_in_woods.jpg

• Upvote 1

Really?

So name me a successful college coach whose players quit on him.

My apologies for the delayed response. Didn't have time to check until now. Here are a few that I found:

http://tracking.si.com/2013/06/24/kentuckys-kyle-wiltjer-leaves-basketball-program/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/seth_davis/02/07/hoop.thoughts/

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/16/sophomore-forward-angel-nunez-to-leave-louisville/

I'm sure if I spent more than 10 minutes looking I could find plenty more examples if you would like.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the unspoken rules about elevating an assistant coach to the head gig mid season and beyond? If a school were to reassign their head coach, would they be able to finish the season with the assistants at the current pay level? What about the following year, would they have to convert said assistant to a heah coach salary or would the assistant be under contract at the assistant level? Or are assistant contracts year to year?

Hypothetically speaking of course.

• Upvote 2

What are the unspoken rules about elevating an assistant coach to the head gig mid season and beyond? If a school were to reassign their head coach, would they be able to finish the season with the assistants at the current pay level? What about the following year, would they have to convert said assistant to a heah coach salary or would the assistant be under contract at the assistant level? Or are assistant contracts year to year?

Hypothetically speaking of course.

No.

The ENTIRE Benford regime should be shown the door. No Rob Evans.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

RVs track record on coaching hires is bad. Not only because of the record, but the way in which his hires have turned out disastrous. Mac has done enough to put a blanket over his mistakes. I'm just hoping he doesn't have blinders on and thinks Benford will flip a switch in year 3.

It doesn't matter. Benford is our coach for another year or two beyond this one. We barely paid enough to get a decent head coach with experience in football--and that was after we agreed to buy out the remaining year of Dodge's contract. And football, as we all now, makes the money for the AD. They will never pay a head coach here a huge amount of money because we don't draw well and basketball is sadly always second or third in this football-dominant state. We sure as he'll aren't gonna buy out three years of the largest contract a basketball coach has ever had in the history of the university.

And, yes, this is on RV. He agreed to hire Benford, even if the BOR wouldn't pay more for an experienced coach. If I was in his situation, and my bosses ALWAYS played the cheap card, I'd resign, rather than accept coaches on the cheap that have no experience and make me look bad for hiring them. Todd Dodge, Shanice Stephens, and now Tony Benford---all are either the worst hires for their individual sport in the history of the university or are right up there as the worst hires. No AD in America would have survived this anywhere else for this long. He's just lucky Coach McCarney is turning around the football program finally. And if Mac leaves to go somewhere else, many of us have zero faith in RV's opinion on the next hire, just as feel that way with the next men's basketball coach in 2016...