C-USA power ranking

outoftown

The C-USA power ranking on SBnation: Always good informative read. The conference as a whole did so bad this week, that UNT did not loose any spots despite the loss at Ohio.

T-5 [58 pts] North Texas Mean Green (1-1) - Last: (L) @ Ohio, 27-21, Up Next: vs. Ball St.

The Mean Green had a real opportunity to pick up a quality road win, and step forward as a true contender in C-USA. But, they fell behind 21-7 early, and even though they clawed their way back to tie the game, they were unable to come up with the win. Aside from their four turnovers, the biggest problem was the Mean Green's inability to stop the Bobcats either through the air or on the ground. The defense gave up 442 yards of total offense; 239 passing, and 203 rushing. In a league of run heavy offenses, they've got to sure up that defense to truly be competitive. North Texas will now look to rebound at home against Ball State before hitting the road to take on #9 Georgia.

UTEP915 says: "North Texas is showing that they are going to be a tough out for everyone in the conference and could be a dark horse to win the west."

• Upvote 1

Obviously, it's early. But if this assessment is close to accurate, can we expect 5 conference wins?

Beat the underdogs:

1. USM - 39 pt advantage

2. UTEP - 26 pt advantage

3. Tulane - 23 pt advantage

Win at least one of these:

4. La Tech - 11 pt advantage

4. UTSA - 2 pt advantage

4. MTSU - Even

One "upset" win:

5. Rice - 2 pt deficit

5. Tulsa - 3 pt deficit

Seems a completely reasonable expectation which is why I predicted 7-5 regular season as I anticipate our guys taking care of business this weekend.

Obviously, it's early. But if this assessment is close to accurate, can we expect 5 conference wins?

Beat the underdogs:

1. USM - 39 pt advantage

2. UTEP - 26 pt advantage

3. Tulane - 23 pt advantage

Win at least one of these:

4. La Tech - 11 pt advantage

4. UTSA - 2 pt advantage

4. MTSU - Even

One "upset" win:

5. Rice - 2 pt deficit

5. Tulsa - 3 pt deficit

Seems a completely reasonable expectation which is why I predicted 7-5 regular season as I anticipate our guys taking care of business this weekend.

It is very reasonable. Problem is that wins have been hard to come by for DT and Mac, so as bad as USM and Tulane have looked I still have trouble penciling those games in as wins. Same with La Tech who I think we would take care of at home, but on the road not so sure.
  • Upvote 1

The fact of the matter is, outside of Georgia, we have a real chance at winning every game left on the schedule. I'm not saying we do win them all, but we have a real chance at each game left. Ball State will be a challenge this weekend for our defense. They have a good, veteran QB that will test our secondary. Tulane is very beatable, having lost to South Alabama at home (gave up 41 points on 465 total yards offense). La-Tech has a first year coach and has seemed to regress from last year. Southern Miss might be the worst team in the country. UTEP and UTSA will be good matchups but I feel good that we get them at home. Tulsa is not the same team they have been the past few years (got drummed by NC State and squeaked by a bad Colorado St. team) . To me, the toughest game outside of Georgia left is Rice but we get them at home too. We missed a huge opportunity last weekend in getting a win. If we want to become bowl eligible, we could really use this one vs. Ball State. That would leave us with needing 4 wins to become bowl eligible, which is very, very doable with what's left. Its even feasible if the chips fall right that we end up winning our division. Or we could do as we have done lately and flame out. There's a ton of football left to be played and only time will tell.

• Upvote 2