Idaho game and it's effect on expectations

Harry

Hey the win over Idaho was fantastic, and really started things out for us on a real positive note. However, that win combined with the loss against Ohio is probably the root cause of some of the emotion being displayed here on the board the past couple of days. Let's face it folks, Idaho is not very good. I think some of us secretly hoped that they would be good and they would win some ball games which they still might do. But right now they're a pretty bad team.

So we had a week of beating our chest and feeling good about ourselves after whipping up on the little guy. A lot of beer was drunk and a lot of backs were slapped after that win. We then face a guy that is our size, not any bigger or better but our equal and he gets the better of us. Not because he was necessarily better than us mind you, but due to our own mistakes. I think that is what had many of us scratching our heads and in some cases showing some extreme emotion after the loss.

I can see how some new posters would come in here after witnessing the post-Idaho euphoria and wonder man are these guys pms'ing or what?

A closer win against Idaho may have allowed us to accept the Ohio loss more easily. Thankfully that didn't happen.

I still would take an Idaho type team opener for eternity as a North Texas fan because for at least one week we can dream about where we aspire the program to be. Since it hadn't happened in a LONG time (1998?) I just don't think our fanbase was ready to deal with the after effects of a disappointing week 2 loss. Next time we'll be ready.

For me my expectations did not change when we beat Idaho, I hoped to beat Ohio and expected to be beat Idaho.

Things that did get my expectations changed some started with Ohio getting whipped the week before and the injury report. I had the feeling with that and the 4 point spread, last I saw, this was a perfect opportunity to pull an upset.

THE BIG THING was how we lost, handing away a game the way we did was just heart breaking. Lets just get it out there, we lost not due to Ohio's defense much like Troy last season, not even our play calling, we lost because our Offense Choked when we were in a position to finish off a good opponent. Conservative play calling, liberal wide open play calling I don't give a sh*t. We did not execute when it was time to step up period. We looked suddenly nervous and unprepared in the last two series and that is how we played it out.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 5

For me my expectations did not change when we beat Idaho, I hoped to beat Ohio and expected to be beat Idaho.

Things that did get my expectations changed some started with Ohio getting whipped the week before and the injury report. I had the feeling with that and the 4 point spread, last I saw, this was a perfect opportunity to pull an upset.

THE BIG THING was how we lost, handing away a game the way we did was just heart breaking. Lets just get it out there, we lost not due to Ohio's defense much like Troy last season, not even our play calling, we lost because our Offense Choked when we were in a position to finish off a good opponent. Conservative play calling, liberal wide open play calling I don't give a sh*t. We did not execute when it was time to step up period. We looked suddenly nervous and unprepared in the last two series and that is how we played it out.

Funny now that you mention it the Ohio loss made me feel similar to the Troy one...key difference was the Troy loss was at home.

Wonder how many still had Ohio U penciled in as a loss the last 4 months but seem to not wanting to admit it now?

This 2013 Mean Green football team must find its identity soon.

Last year, we play a #15 ranked Kansas State admirably and then beat ULaLa (who would go to their 2'nd bowl game in a row 2 mos. after we beat them) and we beat those Rajun Cajuns on a nationally televised ESPN game from Apogee to boot.

Then the other things happened in 2012 which caused a few losses that could have been wins. A 4 win season could have easily been a 6 win season in other words. So yes, we are still shy some key recruits or even undeveloped players now on campus that could turn all this the direction we all want

?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen