Mean Green Cross Country Start off 2013-14 Strong

bleedgreen4ever

Not sure if this has been posted already, but what a good start for the Men's CC team!

North Texas men's cross country team finished first at the Bear Twilight Invitational this Friday.

The Mean Green had six top 20 performances on the men's side. Junior Alejandro Valencia finished third with a time of 18:38.9. The women placed fifth out of eight teams.

"The first meet of the season shows where the men and women stand after a summer of training," said Coach Slekis. "Overall how the Mean Green competed gave a positive insight going into the 2013-14 season."

Next up for North Texas cross country is the Gerald Richey Invitational Saturday Sept. 14, in Arlington Texas.

Men's Team Score

1. North Texas: 37
  2. Texas: 48
  3. Baylor: 70
  4. Texas A&M: 109
  5. Houston: 114
  6. TCU: 156
  7. Texas State: 171

Women's Team Score

1. Baylor: 25
  2. SMU: 30
  3. Texas: 84
  4. Texas A&M: 142
  5. North Texas: 156
  6. Houston: 175
  7. Texas State: 176
  8. TCU: 216

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/c-xc/recaps/083113aaa.html

• Upvote 3

I wonder what is going in cross country. First, it was a great win but not even reported on the main site other than the team section which most never venture to. Second, they have not yet updated the roster; so their apparent best runner and others are not even listed.

But the biggest question mark, is that they no longer have their highly respected in cc circles coach and replaced him with someone with virtually no experience. Remember that this coach is usually over not only cross country but the distance runners in track. Borroughs was putting together a great by NT standards distance group buoyed by internaitonal runners, but my fear is his replacement may be a signal that NT is withdrawing resources from the sport.

Some may say who cares, but track and field in reality counts as 6 sports and you can forget those all sports competitons without a strong distance program. Someone has stated on the board that they are cutting back to fund baseball. I think that it is regrettable if true.

• Upvote 2

I wonder what is going in cross country. First, it was a great win but not even reported on the main site other than the team section which most never venture to. Second, they have not yet updated the roster; so their apparent best runner and others are not even listed.

But the biggest question mark, is that they no longer have their highly respected in cc circles coach and replaced him with someone with virtually no experience. Remember that this coach is usually over not only cross country but the distance runners in track. Borroughs was putting together a great by NT standards distance group buoyed by internaitonal runners, but my fear is his replacement may be a signal that NT is withdrawing resources from the sport.

Some may say who cares, but track and field in reality counts as 6 sports and you can forget those all sports competitons without a strong distance program. Someone has stated on the board that they are cutting back to fund baseball. I think that it is regrettable if true.

Do you know why the coach left or was he fired? I agree with you and hope that the sport won't start to be overlooked. We have some talent on both sides (M&W) and would hate to undermine a successful program just to start a new one (which we could perfectly do without cutting resources from another existing sport).

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

track and field in reality counts as 6 sports and you can forget those all sports competitions without a program. Someone has stated on the board that they are cutting back to fund baseball. I think that it is regrettable if true.

FIFY

I have heard the same thing. If, and when, baseball comes...I fear we will be saying goodbye to three programs (men's indoor/outdoor t&f and men's CC). It's a real shame, especially considering the running talent in the DFW area (and the entire state) and the fact that outdoor track/cross country have accounted for 27 conference titles at North Texas

• Upvote 1

FIFY

I have heard the same thing. If, and when, baseball comes...I fear we will be saying goodbye to three programs (men's indoor/outdoor t&f and men's CC). It's a real shame, especially considering the running talent in the DFW area (and the entire state) and the fact that outdoor track/cross country have accounted for 27 conference titles at North Texas

Not possible, that would put NT at 14 sports, got to have 16. I don't think they will eliminate anything but I fear they may significantly cut the budgets as no doubt they have already in CC. Frankly, I had rather not have a sport as one that is non-competitive because of poor funding.