UNT Press conference notes (Justin Manu gone)

Harry

I am finished cranking out my stories for the paper. Now, its on to some thoughts on the news of the day from Dan McCarneys press conference.

If it seems like I am a bit late, its because I am. We finished sending the final pages of our football magazine today. Its going to be 120 pages this year, our biggest ever. It comes out Thursday.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/08/press-conference-notes-manu-gone-and-thoughts.html/

Also, I wonder what gives with Berglund? According to withers and our other potential insider he has not just improved, but has actually lit up our defense in the second scrimmage and mock game.

If that info by those two guys was anywhere near true then BB could be the other qb Mccarney might play in the Idaho game. Vito doesn't seem to be getting that vibe from Mccarney or something.

Also, I wonder what gives with Berglund? According to withers and our other potential insider he has not just improved, but has actually lit up our defense in the second scrimmage and mock game.

If that info by those two guys was anywhere near true then BB could be the other qb Mccarney might play in the Idaho game. Vito doesn't seem to be getting that vibe from Mccarney or something.

I doubt we see Brock Saturday. I was told last week he was #4.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999
  • Upvote 1

Then those reports just can't be true. Those stats that said BB was 7-8 in the second scrimmage and DT was something like 7-15. If BB is still 4th after performing like that then they're just set on not playing the dude.

Well it was a week ago Saturday. I don't know when that scrimmage was. We shall see.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

That stinks--for us, and I'm sure much worse for Justin. The guy just looked like a hoss who could dominate on the OL. Again, it's one of those situations where it's hard not to think that a UT or Alabama would find a way to get the kid's eligibility back.

Thanks for your hard work, Justin--sorry it didn't work out, but MG Nation wishes you all the best.

• Upvote 4

So my thoughts are Berglund is just not going to happen. (not sure why....but they don't like him)

Mac knows this is a make or break year for him. (at least it should be) so he is going with what he knows in DT. That doesn't mean DT hasn't shown improvement....even though he's not going to win a game for Mac, he's hoping he won't lose one.

I think he wants Dajon. But it's too risky to start a freshman in a year as important as this. At the same time.....you keep him in the loop, practicing with the 1st team and you play him as much as possible early in the year. If DT doesn't get it done.....it's desparation time anyway so let's throw the wildcard out there and see what happens. And if you're going to throw the wild card out there, you want him to get some experience early.

(As for burning the redshirt) Mac is not thinking about Dajon's 4th year.....Mac (I think) wants to be here after Dajon's 3rd year. And if he doesn't show something quickly...that may be his last. It's a win-win for Mac. Go with what you know...it doesn't work out, hope the kid shows improvement then you can spend all offseason selling the kid.

Edited by TheColonyEagle

(As for burning the redshirt) Mac is not thinking about Dajon's 4th year.....Mac (I think) wants to be here after Dajon's 3rd year. And if he doesn't show something quickly...that may be his last. It's a win-win for Mac. Go with what you know...it doesn't work out, hope the kid shows improvement then you can spend all offseason selling the kid.

I agree about Mac not caring about his QB 4-5 years from now, plus playing DW (or any true freshman) gives him more credibility on the recruiting trail when he tells a kid about early playing time. If we win, recruiting should improve and we may have younger players pass some of this year's players on the depth chart anyway. Edited by EastTexasMG
  • Upvote 1

UNT will recruit another good QB between now and DW's 4th year...redshirt or not. If Mac thinks DW can help the team win now...then great. Get him playing behind DT and get the experience.

Folks talk here about winning now, and then say they will be mad if the guy Mac sees can help is actually played! I'll take 4 years for DW if he is the guy Mac needs to win now behind DT.

• Upvote 7

Maybe he was too chummy with Osborn during the off season?

omg, this season can't start quickly enough....

Can't wait to see what happens... second guessing the coaching staff when we have no information(or only what is released by mac) is awfully funny, but atleast everybody cares enough to do it.

I am soooo happy that I actually get to tailgate this coming saturday as I have no coaching obligations yet for the fall. It kind of sux that it will be 100, but I'm a texan. I'm sure I'll compensate with lots of barley and hops to stay hydrated!

I think that by withholding all this info and keeping us guessing, it has worked as a decent buzz for what in the world we should expect to see. It will be like Christmas morning at QB. Yes, we know DT will be starting. If he is on, then we'll see more of him and be happy. If he is not, then we get to open another Christmas gift and see what happens. Good, bad, whatever... We won't necessarily be happy if things are bad, but atleast we get to see something a little bit different. We'll see Saturday night!

GMG!!!!!!!! For the love of god, kick the freaking ball off already!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 5

MTSU sure knew how to handle a situation like this. If Manu truly dropped out to help his family through hard times, he should go to the media (with UNT's help, of course) and tell his story.

The NCAA will screw the little guy EVERY time, as they simply wish we would just go away. Put a little public pressure on them, and you could see this ruling changed, much like the one at MTSU.

Again, Manu's "help my family" story would need to be 1) true and; 2) documentable, but if it was, I think it would garner the media's interest, especially being right on the heels of the MTSU story.

Maybe Vito could have a conversation with Manu...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1