How's the Defense Going to Be?

MeanGreenGlory

There's been a lot of attention given to the offense lately - especially after DT was named the "probable starter" with the disclaimer "but we still need to review the tape."

Yes, our offense needs to score more points this year to be successful in CUSA. After all, you win games by having more points than the other team...

But looking at last year, our defense gave up a lot of points. The games we won were the ones where we were able to stop the other team's offense.

We Won:

Texas Southern 34-7

Florida Atlantic 20-14

LA-Lafayette 30-23

South Alabama 24-14

We Loss:

LSU 41-14

K. State 35-21

Troy 14-7

MUTS 38-21

A-State 37-19

LA Monroe 42-16

W. Kentucky 25-24

Houston 44 to 21

Outside of the Troy and WKU games (which we should have reasonably won had we not made awful mistakes) all of the games we loss came with the other team scoring a ton of points: 41, 35, 44, 38, 37, and 42.

Even if you take away K. State and LSU, we still let 3 Sun Belt teams and 1 CUSA team put up a crazy amount of points against us.

I think with a returning O-Line, seasoned QB, more consistent WRs, and a stable of RBs we'll be able to score more points per game and average in the high 20s or low 30s.

No, we won't be Oregon in terms of offensive numbers, but I think we'll be able to score enough points every game to put us in a winning situation.

Question is - will our defense be able to stop the other teams from scoring to ensure we win?

Edited by MeanGreenGlory

I think the defense will be the most improved. 2nd year under skladany with more depth. Just like the qb situation, the coaches did not have the trust to even run a nickel. That is crazy. surprised they even won 4 games with that limitation.

from what I gather, DB is greatly improved and there is a lot more depth. The defense will be able to play faster, be less predictable, and be a stronger unit.

Edited by GOMG2013

I almost forgot how bad we really were last year. Thank you

As for the defense we should be better in almost every position with the exception of DT. Unfortunately for us I think that is the most important part of the defense.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 1

I almost forgot how bad we really were last year. Thank you

As for the defense we should be better in almost every position with the exception of DT. Unfortunately for us I think that is the most important part of the defense.

The DT position is not going to lose games. If your defense is not good, you have a lot more issues than just DT. DTs dont give up big plays. Linebackers and dbs do. DEs are the ones that break containment. DTs stop the run up the middle and collapse the pocket on passing situations. Having bad DTs can be offset if you are solid in the other areas.

To have a great or dominating defense, you have to have DTs though. We have a long way to go to get to that point. Finding a DT that can turn a whole defense around is rare in college and even in the NFL. Much easier and realistic to improve and fix other areas.

• Upvote 1

The DT position is not going to lose games. If your defense is not good, you have a lot more issues than just DT. DTs dont give up big plays. Linebackers and dbs do. DEs are the ones that break containment. DTs stop the run up the middle and collapse the pocket on passing situations. Having bad DTs can be offset if you are solid in the other areas.

To have a great or dominating defense, you have to have DTs though. We have a long way to go to get to that point. Finding a DT that can turn a whole defense around is rare in college and even in the NFL. Much easier and realistic to improve and fix other areas.

DTs are like offensive lineman. Instead of blocking, they occupy offensive lineman and prevent them from combo blocking up to the linebackers. They open up holes for our linebackers to come through and make plays, much like an o-line opens up holes for running backs to go through.

Also, why are we worse at DT than last year? We lost Tevin Cantly, but everyone else is back including some good looking new guys like Sid Moore and Wallace who won't have to start. We aren't as bad at DT as people are making it out to be.

You guys know Abbe is back on the team, right?

• Upvote 1

DTs are like offensive lineman. Instead of blocking, they occupy offensive lineman and prevent them from combo blocking up to the linebackers. They open up holes for our linebackers to come through and make plays, much like an o-line opens up holes for running backs to go through.

Also, why are we worse at DT than last year? We lost Tevin Cantly, but everyone else is back including some good looking new guys like Sid Moore and Wallace who won't have to start. We aren't as bad at DT as people are making it out to be.

You guys know Abbe is back on the team, right?

I think you're pretty much on the mark. I had a lot of respect for Cantly as a person and player, but like Sir Calvin, he had a redshirt season. After that, he played some DE (a coaching mistake in my opinion), and eventually became a DT starter So, even if Sir Calvin doesn't start, I expect he will be in the rotation. My guess is that they will try to redshirt Moore, but he sounds like someone who could be playing and in the rotation if needed. Is anyone else thinking Abbe may be playing like he has something to prove this year?

Not trying to minimize the importance of DT, but not having a secondary is a lot bigger issue.

There are other ways to put pressure on a QB. You can also stop the run by putting 8 in the box. A weak secondary will limit what you can do though.

Not being able to play nickel is a huge issue. The biggest problem for unt was not getting off the field on 3rd downs.

Most of the DT issues I have heard did not complain about being ran on and giving up big running gains up the middle. Most complaints I have heard is due to pressuring the QB. If the defense has gotten it to 3rd and 4 or more, its up to the secondary to get them off the field.

• Upvote 1