Idaho game- Best BBQ & Tex Mex in Denton

mdmeangreen

El Guapo's is owned by a white man who used to manage Tia's in Denton. Most of the menu is copied from Tia's, a chain restaurant. The Mazatlan or El Matador for me since Miguelito's is no longer in Denton. Honestly I would probably just drive to Sanger or Krum for Miguelito's.

I was confused. I was thinking of Mazatlan. Isn't it the one out on University just past the TWU golf course?

Hutchins is solid. Good brisket and really enjoyed the hot links last week. Some guys I work with have been trying to hit as many on the Texas Monthly list as possible. The guys who did the list got it wrong on some of their choices. Example: the joint in Grapevine, which I won't name because it was so forgettable and is not even on par with Dickey's. Or like leaving off Hard Eight (Stephenville/Coppell/Roanoke) or Saltlick (Driftwood/Roundrock/or even DFW airport) and there are others.

This thread got me craving BBQ for dinner. I hit Hutchin's. Mmmmmmm.

Having been stranded in the Northeast until I was old enough to move to Texas, I have to say I'm still partial to Metzler's even though I've definitely had better. They've also been supporting UNT since long before Rudy's ever opened up, so that's where I first got a taste of decent southern BBQ. Any time a department event or meeting had BBQ, it was Metzler's. Eventually I met some friends and their families who made REALLY good BBQ but I think everybody is either in east Texas or scattered elsewhere, like *shudder* College Station (but he's an Aggie anyway so I guess he gets a pass). So yeah, there's definitely better, but I do agree that as much money and support as Metzler's and Rudy's give to UNT, unless you have specific plans with someone to meet up somewhere else, it's always good to throw them a bit of business. Their stuff is definitely not bad, just a bit standard (and therefore also a great spot to recommend to people from out of state!).

As for Tex-Mex, I do have a weird one to throw in. I know they're "fusion" since they have burgers and wings and such, but Sweetwater's Mexican stuff is pretty solid and has a lot more flavor than many places that serve only Tex-Mex or Mexican. Their Margarita Mondays were always a big draw, and they usually have lots of good drink specials and daily chef's specials (or at least used to). I'm always the type to jump on anything new or unusual, so checking out their chalkboard was the first thing I did any time I was over there. The fact that they have lots of other stuff also helps if you're eating with somebody who's not in the mood for Mexican food...they can have a burger or something instead! I do appreciate places like that where the quality is still good but you don't have to argue about where to go if everybody wants something different.

Elaborate please! I will travel near or far for great bbq.

Great ribs, good brisket, and great sides, especially fried okra which is always hit or miss at other places. They are rated 4.5 or higher out of 5 on all the ratings websites. The jalepeno sausage is also really good. One of three restaurants I miss since moving from Fort Worth to Frisco. They were ranked #11 in dfw by D magazine a couple years back.

Edited by glick1980

Great ribs, good brisket, and great sides, especially fried okra which is always hit or miss at other places. They are rated 4.5 or higher out of 5 on all the ratings websites. The jalepeno sausage is also really good. One of three restaurants I miss since moving from Fort Worth to Frisco. They were ranked #11 in dfw by D magazine a couple years back.

I live in Frisco too and I am still looking for some great BBQ. Randy White's is blah. Rudy's is blah especially when they don't have green chili stew right now. Spring Creek is Spring Creek. Any idea on where is a good hole in the wall?

I live in Frisco too and I am still looking for some great BBQ. Randy White's is blah. Rudy's is blah especially when they don't have green chili stew right now. Spring Creek is Spring Creek. Any idea on where is a good hole in the wall?

I heard that Three Stacks is good, but certainly not a hole in the wall. I have not been there personally, in fact I have not eaten BBQ at all in or around Frisco since I moved there in February.