Disappointment

BIG DAWG

Our saving grace would be for the Big12 to expand to 14 so they match up with the other P5 conferences. Cincy and BYU are definite players to take those 11-12 spots and we need to push to be 13 or 14 when that happens, not if. Politics is our only barrier to hurdle and I think Prez S will take appropriate actions to at least put us in the underlying conversation for an invitation. If Prez S were to accomplish this he would go down as UNT's second coming. GMG

There's a lot more than political hurdles. We have never been able to fill our new stadium. Even the first year when bringing in Houston and Indiana, we weren't able to convince 30,500 people in a county of more than 650,000 or an area of almost 7 million to show up for a Saturday. We have a BOR who would rather stick within a very conservative budget than push the envelope the way TCU and now SMU has. We have an AD who is completely incompetent when it comes to new hires, but sticks within the small budget and is friends with the right people.

Until there's a change in vision by our own BOR and either a new AD or someone to show RV how to make a good hire, we're stuck where we're at. Could UNT ever get to the point of being a serious contender for the Big 12 or SEC? Sure. We're one of the largest public schools in the country located in one of the top/biggest DMA's in the country. However, even with a seriously enlightened BOR, AD, and President, we're still talking 20-30 years away. In other words, don't hold your breath.

TCU has a really good baseball team, they went to the CWS before they were invited to the Big 12.. Its not only football.

Yes, attendance does matter. Bowls invites is another perfect example.

No one ever said attendance didn't matter.

We Talkin bout sellouts.

Sellouts.

Oh ya, and baseball doesn't matter one bit. This is all about the almighty dollar, my friend.

We Talkin bout sellouts.

Sellouts.

Oh ya, and baseball doesn't matter one bit. This is all about the almighty dollar, my friend.

What we need are touch screens in the breeze ways to teach kids Math and English while they are there. That'll bring EM in, because studying Math and English are what kids want to do on a Saturday afternoon while at a college football game.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

We Talkin bout sellouts.

Sellouts.

Answer this question then. If Baseball didn't matter, why are they spending money on a new program?

In my opinion, It does, its not going to bring in revenue like football. I never said it will.

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1

But not having a baseball team didnt seem to be a problem for the PAC 10.

It's all about the money sports. Because its all about the money.

You're comparing UNT to Colorado, really?? Apples and Oranges. You told me to answer the question, I did.

UNT wont ever have the money that Colorado has, but being competitive in sports will only increase our chances. More competitive sports teams you have, more fans. More fans, means more money.

Back to my question.

Edited by Dr. Seuss

You're comparing UNT to Colorado, really?? Apples and Oranges. You told me to answer the question, I did.

UNT wont ever have the money that Colorado has, but being competitive in sports will only increase our chances. More competitive sports teams you have, more fans. More fans, means more money.

Back to my question.

Your statement was that TCU was helped getting into the Big 12 because they had a baseball team.

So I'm actually comparing Colorado to TCU, which is actually unfair to TCU at this point.

Your statement was that TCU was helped getting into the Big 12 because they had a baseball team.

So I'm actually comparing Colorado to TCU, which is actually unfair to TCU at this point.

Yes, being competitive in multiple sports. You still haven't answered the question. If Baseball didn't matter, why are they spending money on a new program?

Yes, being competitive in multiple sports. You still haven't answered the question. If Baseball didn't matter, why are they spending money on a new program?

Because it's nice to have baseball? It means nothing to joining P5 conferences though.

You can have a baseball dynasty and it wont mean anything. You join a P5 if your football is strong, or your basketball is a dynasty. UCONN is a head scratcher. With their basketball, I'm not sure why they're not already in a P5.

Because it's nice to have baseball? It means nothing to joining P5 conferences though.

You can have a baseball dynasty and it wont mean anything. You join a P5 if your football is strong, or your basketball is a dynasty. UCONN is a head scratcher. With their basketball, I'm not sure why they're not already in a P5.

Why would you spend millions of dollars on a program that wont generate revenue? Because its nice to have? Really, nice to have?

UCONN, because they are good at 1 sport. Again, back to my point, it takes more then one sport.

Why would you spend millions of dollars on a program that wont generate revenue? Because its nice to have? Really, nice to have?

UCONN, because they are good at 1 sport. Again, back to my point, it takes more then one sport.

Why have women's soccer? Why have track & field? You can't just have football & basketball.

UCONN football has been in FBS for quite a while and their football team can give Duke (whom I would consider in the same sports neighborhood) a game for sure.

Every SEC and Big XII program fields a baseball team. UNT and SMU are the only FBS schools in Texas who don't play baseball.

I think it does matter. It's not going to be the sole reason someone gets in (Rice, CS-F), but it's a part of an overall resume that paints a bigger picture.

In other words, if we were winning C-USA football year in and year out, sending a basketball team to the tourney on occasion and made a run our two into the Super Regionals in baseball, the program as a whole begins to raise eyebrows.

So while it isn't the silver bullet, it can help show an athletic program is committed to success, top to bottom.

If you are sitting there trying to decide between adding UNT or UH, wouldn't the fact that UH has a top-ten baseball program factor into your decision, all other things being equal?

EDIT: UTEP and Iowa State no longer field baseball teams. This was an oversight on my part.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1

Every SEC and Big XII program fields a baseball team. UNT and SMU are the only FBS schools in Texas who don't play baseball.

I think it does matter. It's not going to be the sole reason someone gets in (Rice, CS-F), but it's a part of an overall resume that paints a bigger picture.

In other words, if we were winning C-USA football year in and year out, sending a basketball team to the tourney on occasion and made a run our two into the Super Regionals in baseball, the program as a whole begins to raise eyebrows.

So while it isn't the silver bullet, it can help show an athletic program is committed to success, top to bottom.

If you are sitting there trying to decide between adding UNT or UH, wouldn't the fact that UH has a top-ten baseball program factor into your decision, all other things being equal?

Thank you!!! Preach!!!

Why have women's soccer? Why have track & field? You can't just have football & basketball.

UCONN football has been in FBS for quite a while and their football team can give Duke (whom I would consider in the same sports neighborhood) a game for sure.

I specifically said, why would you spend millions on a new program. Baseball is new, women's soccer, in fact is one of our best sports.

Duke has been in the ACC since the beginning.

Btw, CUSE would have been a better comparison. Jumped into a P5 conference without a baseball team and a mediocre football program

If you would check, at the end of the 2001 season, Iowa Sate (member of the Big XII) canceled their baseball program.

If you would check, at the end of the 2001 season, Iowa Sate (member of the Big XII) canceled their baseball program.

That still doesn't matter, Iowa State has been in the Big 12 since the beginning. They arn't kicking teams out, teams are trying to join.

Look at the overall picture. Macro people, macro.

• Upvote 1

I did look it up, but the data site I checked didn't indicate it had been cancelled, so that's my mistake.

I don't think it invalidates the point of the rest of my post, but I sincerely apologize for the oversight.