Remembering D-Day....June 6, 1944

http://www.army.mil/d-day/

..."Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon a great crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers in arms on other fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened, he will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man to man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our home fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to victory!

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

-- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower"

Rick

President Reagan's D-Day speech on the 40th Anniversary of the Normandy invasion.

I went to Normandy a few years ago and was humbled by knowing what took place there. When the older villagers found out there were Americans on the tour bus, they came up to us thanked us for what we did for them. Really emotional.

Edited by DeepGreen

President Reagan's D-Day speech on the 40th Anniversary of the Normandy invasion.

I went to Normandy a few years ago and was humbled by knowing what took place there. When the older villagers found out there were Americans on the tour bus, they came up to us thanked us for what we did for them. Really emotional.

Good post. I want to go, it's on my bucket list.

BTW, I get to scratch off one thing on that list with a visit to Pear Harbor here pretty soon. Never thought I'd get to go. Hopefully I get to see Normandy someday and pay my respects there too?

Rick

Pearl is a must see visit. Be sure to pay attention to the remaining survivors wall/plaque the Arizona Memorial. On request, a survivor of the Arizona can be entombed in the Arizona with his mates. The survivor is cremated and the urn is put in place by a team of Navy divers. On the day we were there, it was announced that such an entombment would take place later that afternoon. It is a rare, private burial ceremony for family member only. Gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

• Upvote 2

Pearl is a must see visit. Be sure to pay attention to the remaining survivors wall/plaque the Arizona Memorial. On request, a survivor of the Arizona can be entombed in the Arizona with his mates. The survivor is cremated and the urn is put in place by a team of Navy divers. On the day we were there, it was announced that such an entombment would take place later that afternoon. It is a rare, private burial ceremony for family member only. Gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

Thanks Deep, I had not heard of that. Very cool.

Rick

Good post. I want to go, it's on my bucket list.

BTW, I get to scratch off one thing on that list with a visit to Pear Harbor here pretty soon. Never thought I'd get to go. Hopefully I get to see Normandy someday and pay my respects there too?

Rick

--- There is a British Cemetery near the American Normandy one too... I found it very interesting as well... on their "stones" there were personal comments by their family members carved in them .. it is large but smaller than the American cemetery. There is also an area of the German dead in that cemetery ... since they were being pushed back, it became the responsibility of the Allies to bury them.

--- there are still pill boxes at Point Hoc... amazing place to think men came up those cliffs.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

--- There is a British Cemetery near the American Normandy one too... I found it very interesting as well... on their "stones" there were personal comments by their family members carved in them .. it is large but smaller than the American cemetery. There is also an area of the German dead in that cemetery ... since they were being pushed back, it became the responsibility of the Allies to bury them.

--- there are still pill boxes at Point Hoc... amazing place to think men came up those cliffs.

I have been to this cemetery in Normandy...the inscriptions on the headstones are truly moving...a difference in how it is done in the American Cemetary, but such a moving experience I have never had before or after this visit. I have some sand from Omaha Beach. It is a trip I will never ever forget....nor will I forget being on the USS Missouri and standing exactly where MacArthur accepted the surrender of the Japanese at Pearl Harbor that officially ended WW II. Everyone really should visit both these places at least once in their lifetimes. I feel blessed to have been able to walk where so many heros walked before. Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

--- I too was moved by these personal comments... It made these gravesites really feel like people lost and a lot more than another soldier. Both cemeteries are very impressive but different.. I have been a lot places ( somewhat due to my wife being a foreign language teacher) but never to Pearl Harbor (yet). International travel really changes your view on things if you go as more than a tourist. I have had tour guides point out a big difference in tourists and travelers... and there is.. one goes to only see and the other mixes with the locals and learns about them, their views and their lifestyles. . .

• Upvote 2

--- I too was moved by these personal comments... It made these gravesites really feel like people lost and a lot more than another soldier. Both cemeteries are very impressive but different.. I have been a lot places ( somewhat due to my wife being a foreign language teacher) but never to Pearl Harbor (yet). International travel really changes your view on things if you go as more than a tourist. I have had tour guides point out a big difference in tourists and travelers... and there is.. one goes to only see and the other mixes with the locals and learns about them, their views and their lifestyles. . .

Agree with your definition (tourist/traveler) 100%. There is a need for more travelers and fewer tourists! Travel overseas a decent amount and one will definitely understand the significance of the definition. Try your very best to be a traveler...you will be very glad you did.

• Upvote 2