Let's play a little game

emmitt01

I didn't forget. Just don't think he's been anywhere near the hype. Last year he couldn't lead his team past an under .500 WKU team.

You want to blame Benford, fine. I think people make a lot of excuses for TM. He's been good at best. Rarely great.

Right, because the only other freshman that averaged a double double in 2011-2012 (slightly more points, slightly less rebounds) didn't dominate either.

But yet the NBA thought enough of that Freshman to make him the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Just so we get this straight, you expected TM to average 20 and 12 while facing double and triple teams every night? Is this what you are saying?

• Upvote 1

Right, because the only other freshman that averaged a double double in 2011-2012 (slightly more points, slightly less rebounds) didn't dominate either.

But yet the NBA thought enough of that Freshman to make him the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Just so we get this straight, you expected TM to average 20 and 12 while facing double and triple teams every night? Is this what you are saying?

Don't forget 'look like he is trying harder'.
  • Upvote 1

http://tonymitchell13.com/

What TM proved this year is an inability to lead on the floor. It's his body language that bothered me more than anything. I want my best player to at least look inspired.

Blast away, but a top 2-3 athlete in the country should dominate Sun Belt competition.

Ah, this again.

droopy.jpg

What's the purpose of the link?

Isn't it weird when a top 2 or 3 athlete in the NCAA gets the ball in the post, is collapsed upon by 2-3 defenders, and can't dominate his inferior-yet-intelligent (some may say, "well coached") competition... yet goes over 20pts against SLU and Lehigh with superior competition who played him man-to-man?

So weird.

• Upvote 1

Mitchell is a great athlete, maybe the best we have ever had in any sport at UNT. I am sure he will be a mid 1st round draft pick, just as sure I am as he will be on the end of an NBA bench for about 5 years before heading off to play in some country we have never heard of. I hope he proves me wrong and is at least a consistent contributor on the NBA level.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The truth lies in the middle with the Mitchell debate. Yes, he put up great numbers on a terrible team. No, he didn't hype himself up, and by all accounts, he's a humble, intelligent kid.

The problem is that he's literally one of the best 5 athletes in the entire country. Guys with his measurables make NBA scouts drool more than a dog looking at a filet mignon. In workouts against the BEST competition at this level, he's shown that he has the talent to go with the athleticism. Chad Ford literally said, months ago of course, that we'd be looking at Mitchell as the FIRST OVERALL PICK if he was on a Kentucky or North Carolina type of team. Yeah yeah, weak draft weak draft, blah blah blah....those still aren't words tossed around lightly. Draft analysts know the repercussions of going out on a limb like that for a small-school guy that goes wrong (though luckily for Ford, UNT seems to always maintain a level of obscurity high enough to have avoided him looking like an idiot for saying that).

But he only put up 2nd Team All-Sun Belt numbers this year, and our buddy Chad Ford has said that scouts EXPECTED (not hoped) that Mitchell would put up NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR numbers. That's a massive underachievement. That should be put in the UNT Hall of Shame rather than being heralded. What if LeBron had regressed in year two in Cleveland by averaging 18 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists per game (he averaged 27/7/7)? One could say that those are great numbers for a 2nd year player, and that a woeful franchise like Cleveland should be stoked at that. Or they could look at it the other way, and see that it's a massive underachievement for a player of his talent.

I'm torn on whether or not I want TM to stay. Of course, he's far and away the most talented and productive member of this team, and losing him could be detrimental. But, on the other hand, ridding the team of the mentality that Tony needs his touches and numbers could allow for better team play and better fundamental basketball. Just look at the Celtics without Rondo this season. Sucked with him while he was putting up MVP numbers, he goes down and they start winning. Are they as talented without him? Hell no...but they're a better team.