Alabama Huntsville was 81 days ago

CMJ

I would commisserate with you about how bad it is and how benford needs to go... alas i stopped watching the games and thus I only have an idea coming from the box scores about how bad it is. Still RV has to do something, and I fear firing the assistants will not do the trick

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

I think most know me as a rather rational person, who is never onboard with firing coaches early. I WASN'T EVEN OPPOSED TO DODGE'S FOURTH SEASON WHEN I HEARD HE WAS COMING BACK.

If you've lost me, you've lost MG Nation. I might have this as a running Walter Croonkite Iranian hostage style meme until Benford is fired.

And that's the way it is.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

We've managed to erase 11 seasons of progress in less than 3 months. Think about that everyone. Last night's loss was the worst Sun Belt conference defeat we've had since JJ's second year, and more akin to the sorts of beatdowns we had under Trilli. All that with one of the most talented rosters in school history.

Benford has to go -- or RV does.

Wow CMJ! You've almost managed to stay even-keel through all of this, but alas, it appears a blowout loss to a sub-500 SBC team was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't think I've actually seen you say this point blank.

I would commisserate with you about how bad it is and how benford needs to go... alas i stopped watching the games and thus I only have an idea coming from the box scores about how bad it is. Still RV has to do something, and I fear firing the assistants will not do the trick

Heck, if you fire the assistants, you fire the HC experience we DO have.

I EVEN WASN"T OPPOSED TO DODGE'S FOURTH SEASON WHEN I HEARD HE WAS COMING BACK.

Now that's really saying something! You've got to be the most patient man alive!

In that fourth season, I found myself somewhat actually rooting against UNT (although never physically present while doing so) in hopes that it would get rid of that guy on the sidelines for the greater good of the program.

Fortunately for me, basketball has never been my spectator sport of choice, so I can watch ever regressing boxscore results and just think to myself, "Meh."

I've learned my lesson the hard way to never publicly call out a coach, and I can honestly say that I haven't watched enough basketball this year to objectively agree or disagree with anyone's assessment here.

The only thing the program is missing from me is my butt in a seat, but that doesn't tend to happen much for basketball anyway (especially after the new year).

All that said, I expected more this year. A lot more.

Now that's really saying something! You've got to be the most patient man alive!

In that fourth season, I found myself somewhat actually rooting against UNT (although never physically present while doing so) in hopes that it would get rid of that guy on the sidelines for the greater good of the program.

I said BEFORE the season. Once we were about 3 games in and was apparent things weren't gonna improve I was wanting him out too. Generally I feel four years is mandatory.

But, Benford was not walking into some crappy reclamation project here. He just wasn't. This team has a alot of talent and had a lot of expectations. AND NOT EVEN FROM US!!!

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

I said BEFORE the season. Once we were about 3 games in and was apparent things weren't gonna improve I was wanting him out too. Generally I feel four years in mandatory.

But, Benford was not walking into some crappy reclamation project here. He just wasn't. This team has a alot of talent and had a lot of expectations. AND NOT EVEN FROM US!!!

But our players are horrible people CMJ!!! They have forgotten how to play basketball, suddenly, all at the SAME TIME, and are being willfully insubordinate. They're getting blown out in embarrassing fashion just to spite Benford!!!

(The ONLY thing more embarrassing than the way this season has played out is that there are people who honestly believe the above)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And for any/all athletic employees that read the site (I know they're out there). You should know how I almost always am "even keeled" to use MeanGreenTexan's description. The fact that it has come to this does not give me pleasure - I am sure that I am now being added to the enemy list along with the FFR's, Tasty's, SUMG's, etc of the world that are probably thought of as idiot alums who don't know jack. I am a peacemaker by nature and hate stirring the pot. In fact, I generally detest troublemakers.

But these are different times. If it has to be a peacemaker that goes all in on this cause, I'll be the guy.

• Upvote 4

During Shanice Stevens's last year, I sat behind Jasimine Godboldt's family at the games. I talked to them several times about the train wreck on the court. I think her dad went to Rick, because he told me at Hot Springs that Stevens would not be back. Jasimine was a soph all-conference player and looked upon as the future of the team. Results: Ashton was good, Petersen may be better. Maybe something like that will happen on the men's side.

• Upvote 1

I don't live in Dallas area and I don't even check the scores anymore.... Team appears to be awful ..... or at least the record is. The expectations were high for a very good year which makes it even worse. First time I have looked at basketball thread in weeks... Change is needed.

• Upvote 1

I also do not typically have the stomach for calling out specific parties and declaring that so and so should be fired. Furthermore, I tend to remain optimistic about Mean Green athletics even when times are lean. For example, in 2009 I truly believed our 2-6 football team, which had just scored 68 in a win against Western Kentucky and lost a number of close games, had a shot to win four in a row and go to a bowl game. In reality, we were blown out at home by Louisiana-Monroe in the very next game (the other three were also losses). Reflecting back, I feel silly because it’s obvious that we were a horrible team in the midst of a historically bad stretch of seasons. At the time, however, I found false optimism by believing that it mattered that three of our early season losses were by a combined 9 points. “See, we’re a lot better than we were in 2008, and 2007, and 2006, and 2005!” No, we weren’t. And, as we all know, we’re still trying desperately to dig out of that hole.

I don’t want the same 8-(or more) year-long curse to engulf our basketball program. We have a team loaded with the type of talent that many coaches NEVER enjoy in their entire careers. The result: we have failed to a degree that defies description. I honestly can’t think of any examples of a team in any sport falling this far below expectations. Sure, we may not really have been a prospective top 25 team, but shouldn’t we perhaps be top 50-100? The reality of the situation is that we are one of the worst teams in the nation. Again, I don’t feel good about calling out individuals, but this head coach has proven himself, for whatever reason, to be completely incapable of leading this team. I genuinely feel that for each additional day he has with our players, our program is being set back further. For that reason, I think an immediate action is required. While it may seem absurdly reactionary to not even afford him the opportunity to finish his first year, his has been an unprecedented failure. At this point, I don’t even think it’s fair to Benford to make him ride this out to its dismal conclusion.

I’m about to cancel my Mean Green Premium subscription because it just isn’t fun watching us be humiliated on a regular basis. Even with an NBA-destined phenom, the joy of watching Mean Green basketball has been beaten out of me. Win or lose, I’ll always support my Mean Green teams, and I’ll probably still listen to the games on the radio (at least until we start getting blown out), but I no longer see any purpose in watching this

hopeful season go down pathetically in flames.

I don’t blame anyone in the Athletic Department for this hire; Benford looked OK on paper. He wasn’t my first choice, but I thought he was a solid candidate, and I can see why the decision was made. I will, however, begin to question the direction of our athletic program as a whole if we either will not or cannot make an immediate change. If, as some have suggested, we are simply too poor to afford a buyout even if we know that our inaction will produce historically bad seasons for years to come (with numerous and perhaps irreparable long-term consequences), then we should probably cease to exist as an NCAA Division I member institution. I tend to think that the revenue can be found, if we want to find it badly enough.

You put my anger into a more reasoned post. Bravo sir.

For those who are contemplating that maybe our AD should go, just remember that it is not exactly the North Texas way, to replace someone outgoing with someone better.

I'm only contemplating it if he doesn't fire Benford immediately (or close to...I'll settle for by April 1). Otherwise, I think the good outweighs the bad. He's had a lot of each, but generally he's been a positive force at NT.

Edited by CMJ

I also do not typically have the stomach for calling out specific parties and declaring that so and so should be fired. Furthermore, I tend to remain optimistic about Mean Green athletics even when times are lean. For example, in 2009 I truly believed our 2-6 football team, which had just scored 68 in a win against Western Kentucky and lost a number of close games, had a shot to win four in a row and go to a bowl game. In reality, we were blown out at home by Louisiana-Monroe in the very next game (the other three were also losses). Reflecting back, I feel silly because it’s obvious that we were a horrible team in the midst of a historically bad stretch of seasons. At the time, however, I found false optimism by believing that it mattered that three of our early season losses were by a combined 9 points. “See, we’re a lot better than we were in 2008, and 2007, and 2006, and 2005!” No, we weren’t. And, as we all know, we’re still trying desperately to dig out of that hole.

I don’t want the same 8-(or more) year-long curse to engulf our basketball program. We have a team loaded with the type of talent that many coaches NEVER enjoy in their entire careers. The result: we have failed to a degree that defies description. I honestly can’t think of any examples of a team in any sport falling this far below expectations. Sure, we may not really have been a prospective top 25 team, but shouldn’t we perhaps be top 50-100? The reality of the situation is that we are one of the worst teams in the nation. Again, I don’t feel good about calling out individuals, but this head coach has proven himself, for whatever reason, to be completely incapable of leading this team. I genuinely feel that for each additional day he has with our players, our program is being set back further. For that reason, I think an immediate action is required. While it may seem absurdly reactionary to not even afford him the opportunity to finish his first year, his has been an unprecedented failure. At this point, I don’t even think it’s fair to Benford to make him ride this out to its dismal conclusion.

I’m about to cancel my Mean Green Premium subscription because it just isn’t fun watching us be humiliated on a regular basis. Even with an NBA-destined phenom, the joy of watching Mean Green basketball has been beaten out of me. Win or lose, I’ll always support my Mean Green teams, and I’ll probably still listen to the games on the radio (at least until we start getting blown out), but I no longer see any purpose in watching this

hopeful season go down pathetically in flames.

I don’t blame anyone in the Athletic Department for this hire; Benford looked OK on paper. He wasn’t my first choice, but I thought he was a solid candidate, and I can see why the decision was made. I will, however, begin to question the direction of our athletic program as a whole if we either will not or cannot make an immediate change. If, as some have suggested, we are simply too poor to afford a buyout even if we know that our inaction will produce historically bad seasons for years to come (with numerous and perhaps irreparable long-term consequences), then we should probably cease to exist as an NCAA Division I member institution. I tend to think that the revenue can be found, if we want to find it badly enough.

I totally agree with your post. The only thing that I would add is that for us to appear that we have a legitimate athletic department, Coach Benford must be fired. There is not one power conference school in the nation and very few mid major schools that would tolerate a season like this one. I would imagine that a lot of schools would have already fired him. If we do not fire Coach Benford, this non-action will feed into the stereotype that a lot of people have concerning the athletic department in which we are not fully committed to athletics and that failure (even historic failure) is accepted. The athletic department needs to send the message out and show that the University of North Texas has the same standards as every successful athletic program in the nation.

• Upvote 3

Since the Danny Kaspar thread is locked, I comment here.

Somehow, someway, Benford has to go. Many, like me, thought he was a good hire. Came from a well respected program, good recruiter, etc., etc.

Remember this, Trilli was good recruiter too. At ut and at UNT. Slight problem, he couldn't coach! History is repeating itself.

• Upvote 4

When Coach Benford was originally hired, I did not necessary think that it was a bad hire but I thought that it was kind of strange especially since it sounds like there were ex-head coaches (and maybe 1 or 2 current head coaches) who were interested in the job. Coach Benford was just an assistant with no head coaching experience who was from outside of the program and the region. It just didn't seem like he was a great fit here. To be fair, I did not think that he would be this terrible but I still think we could have found a better match.

When Coach Benford was originally hired, I did not necessary think that it was a bad hire but I thought that it was kind of strange especially since it sounds like there were ex-head coaches (and maybe 1 or 2 current head coaches) who were interested in the job. Coach Benford was just an assistant with no head coaching experience who was from outside of the program and the region. It just didn't seem like he was a great fit here. To be fair, I did not think that he would be this terrible but I still think we could have found a better match.

Especially when the AD said the days of hiring coaches without head coaching experience for UNT jobs was over.

Then, outta nowhere, the Benford hire.

That was the biggest head scratcher for me.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1