Bill would revive A&M-UT rivalry

Texas State Representative Ryan Guillen, D-Rio Grande City, filed House Bill 778 on Monday, an action that, if passed, would reinstitute a longstanding, recently discontinued in-state athletic rivalry.

Guillen, a Class of 2000 Aggie graduate, took to Twitter saying the bill would require UT and A&M to play each other annually in a nonconference, regular season football game.

The two schools met on the football field every year from 1914 through 2011, but an A&M move to the Southeastern Conference derailed the rivalry.

read more: http://www.thebatt.com/sports/bill-would-revive-a-m-ut-rivalry-1.2977750

Funny tweets. Policiticians are stupid. And...apparently, this one doesn't get that Texas is so full of non-Texans now that few actually care about A&M or UT.

This has to be a bit right?

Although you are correct about politicians being stupid. This dude needs to go out in his community and find other things for which to be writing bills... You know, things that actually matter to real people.

Seriously? You can legislate that two colleges play each other in football?

Not quite, but politicians in Alabama threatened to cut back state funding if Alabama and Auburn didn't start back their rivalry several years ago when they had stopped playing each other. Or at least something along those lines, so they started playing again.

Edited by Green Dozer

This has to be a bit right?

Although you are correct about politicians being stupid. This dude needs to go out in his community and find other things for which to be writing bills... You know, things that actually matter to real people.

No. As of the 2000 census, more than half of Collin County was comprised of people not born in Texas. I'm sure it's the same way in most major cities and counties in Texas. It's not a difficult concept. It's 2013, not 1963.

People have moved from all over the country to Texas because of the economy. They bring their own athletic allegiances with them.

I don't know how many times I've posted it, but on the street I live on in Frisco, there are no UT or A&M grads. We've got KU, Mizzou, Oklahoma State, Rice, North Texas, Colorado, and Texas Tech grads.

Outside of Austin and College Station, it's just not as big a deal as it used to be for the state. And, certainly not enough to waste even more political time.

A good barometer for this "politician" should have been that the Longhorn Network has struggled to get cable providers to jump on board. It's just not a marketable across the board as the Kool Aid drinking UT people thought.

UT and A&M could both blow up and dry away as far as I'm concerned. They don't stick their necks out for us, never did. Besides, if enough people cared about "Texas football" at the college level, the Southwest Conference would not have disappeared.

So much timewasting navelgazing by the Ags and Horns.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

No. As of the 2000 census, more than half of Collin County was comprised of people not born in Texas. I'm sure it's the same way in most major cities and counties in Texas. It's not a difficult concept. It's 2013, not 1963.

People have moved from all over the country to Texas because of the economy. They bring their own athletic allegiances with them.

I don't know how many times I've posted it, but on the street I live on in Frisco, there are no UT or A&M grads. We've got KU, Mizzou, Oklahoma State, Rice, North Texas, Colorado, and Texas Tech grads.

Outside of Austin and College Station, it's just not as big a deal as it used to be for the state. And, certainly not enough to waste even more political time.

A good barometer for this "politician" should have been that the Longhorn Network has struggled to get cable providers to jump on board. It's just not a marketable across the board as the Kool Aid drinking UT people thought.

UT and A&M could both blow up and dry away as far as I'm concerned. They don't stick their necks out for us, never did. Besides, if enough people cared about "Texas football" at the college level, the Southwest Conference would not have disappeared.

So much timewasting navelgazing by the Ags and Horns.

Watch this stupid bill hit the floor (which it never, ever should) and pass.

These are the two flagship universities of the state. It doesn't matter where people are moving from. Once they get here, these universities begin to matter, because these new citizens' kids are growing up and looking at in-state schools. I have a co-worker who went to Maryland. Of course he is a MD fan... but his son decided to become an Aggie, and he probably reps the Aggies more than he does MD now. Don't let your disdain for these schools cloud your vision of the actual status of these universities in the great state of Texas.