UNT Team working out in Apogee

Harry

Harry, where did the 22 mil number come from? Sure sounds like a bunch of money for essentially a metal building. Large in size but still a metal siding building for the most part. Offices, heating and a/c, etc., can ramp the cost up but 22 mil is a ton of money.

From the video, it seems the 22 mil might cover more than just the practice facility (new weight room, new locker room, new meeting room, lounge, etc.). If we were just looking at the indoor facility itself, I can't imagine it would cost 22 million. I would probably guess about 2 times as much as the new basketball practice facility.

Edited by ForneyGreen
  • Upvote 1

Haha! This is so timely. There has been *frost* here in Phoenix the last few days, and during daylight hours people complain about the cold. I tell them it's jogging weather. I'm with trussbussdad here. In PA, if it was the offseason or if schools were closed due to snow, there was no practice or facility available. Even in a blizzard, it didn't matter, if you were committed, you would go run in the snow for an hour, come home, thaw out, and do pushups in the basement. It's not the toughest workout of your life, but it's a bit of mental conditioning. If your opponent is more committed than you are, and he's willing to high-step his 3-mile jogging route through a foot of snow and you aren't, you're going to lose. I love it. All-weather practice should be a reminder of commitment, as long as precautions are taken to ensure there is no frostbite (in the cold), heat exhaustion (in the summer), etc.

The workout in the snow was probably a fun thing. Maybe it was a message that we need a covered practice field but I don't feel that was the primary motive.

In this part of the country the need for a covered practice facility is more attuned to heat rather than cold. Heat exhaustion/sunstroke is a far more real danger than frostbite.

I'm hoping for a covered practice area in the near future but we have to realize that we also need a baseball field, track facility, and center court at Waranch. That's a lot of funding in a short period with a very suspect economy.