They are a conglomerate of liberal shills for the left making billions of dollars off of death, and could be compared to the military complex you hate and claim are shills for the right, who simply want to wage war and kill innocent people for profit...also. How does it make you feel knowing that your tax dollars go to killing the inncocent unborn child at such a devistating rate? You do pay taxes, correct?

neau4z_medium.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wait, what? So because Eisenhower had experience in winning a war, that disqualified him from warning the American people of defense contractors having too much lobbying influence in Washington? Is that the point you're trying to make?

The ones you and Rick keep voting for. The ones who will cut their noses off to spite their faces, IE planned parenthood funding.

You have absolutely ZERO idea of who I vote for...and pretty pompous of you for even suggesting that you do. Funny how you seen toTHINK you knopw me....you are actually clueless in that regard.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Settle down.

Based on your posting history I assumed you voted mostly Republican.

You know what ASSUME does....you might want to stop making half-baked assumptions based on what you think...and "voting mostly Republican" or "mostly democrat" for that matter gives absolutely zero info about how one feels, supports, votes, etc. on individual issues...both of the social and the economic side. You show a lack of maturity when you do such....not a smart or appropriate idea. So you don't look like a bit of a fool by doing so, I suggest you just give some thought to not doing so in the future.

Many folks on this board seem to think they know me...and have me pigeon-holed" in some category.....many people would be wrong. Probably goes for a lot of folks on this board and in life in general.

You know what ASSUME does....you might want to stop making half-baked assumptions based on what you think...and "voting mostly Republican" or "mostly democrat" for that matter gives absolutely zero info about how one feels, supports, votes, etc. on individual issues...both of the social and the economic side. You show a lack of maturity when you do such....not a smart or appropriate idea. So you don't look like a bit of a fool by doing so, I suggest you just give some thought to not doing so in the future.

Many folks on this board seem to think they know me...and have me pigeon-holed" in some category.....many people would be wrong. Probably goes for a lot of folks on this board and in life in general.

Piss off with your lecturing. Now I remember why I had you on ignore.

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Still trying to figure out your point here.

I'm arguing that the defense lobby has too much power & therefore we need wars to keep them profitable. That has a negative influence on our politicians. Eisenhower was correct in making this statement, weather or not he lead us to victory in a completely necessary war 15 years prior.

I don't know why we are having a problem communicating. Maybe our respective brands of sarcasm just don't connect too well. I'm agreeing with you. Use the "military-industrial" complex comment all you want, because it wasn't coined by some pot smoking hippy of the late sixties, but by someone who should know.....DD Eisenhower. So that makes it VALID.

• Upvote 2

Piss off with your lecturing. Now I remember why I had you on ignore.

Please please put me back on ignore. Truth hurts you too much...you are obviously a guy who likes to throw it around, assume lots of stuff, but don't have the gonads to handle the reply. So, it stands to reason that you would run away.

Please please ignore me...in fact, ignore the whole board while you are at it...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well, I totally agree with that. And I would add "wars against brown people who pretty much hate us anyway, and invading their country only takes them to a higher level of fanaticism against us". And you can use that military-industrial cliche as much as you want. Especially since it was coined by our former President who was supreme commander over the European theater of WWII....Dwight D. Eisenhower. If anyone should know, it's him.

I also agree with Emmitts' idea. I seem to recall reading an article a long time ago that Israel does something very similar.

And Kram1, you think that Seven Days in May was pure fantasy? You honestly think that doing something like that has never crossed the minds of some very high level full-of-themselves military people at the pentagon?

Military duty is mandatory for all citizens of Israel when they reach 18 years of age. Three years of service for men, two for women. According to Wikipedia:

Conscription exists in Israel for all Israeli citizens over the age of 18, although Arab citizens of Israel are exempt (but Druze citizens are conscripted); other exceptions are made on religious, physical or psychological grounds (see Profile 21). The normal length of compulsory service is currently three years for men and two years for women.

Despite a general impression that the majority of Israeli citizens are conscripted, only about 50% of potential conscripts actually serve in the military. Others do not serve for a variety of reasons, including religious study, minority community exemptions, refusing to serve, "low motivation", and a criminal record.[citation needed]

The Defense Service Law (חוק שירות ביטחון) regulates these duties and exceptions. According to the Defense Service Law, the enlistment to the Israeli Defense Forces is mandatory for all Israeli citizens who have turned 18 (with the above-mentioned exemptions enshrined in the Defense Service Law).

Military duty is mandatory for all citizens of Israel when they reach 18 years of age. Three years of service for men, two for women. According to Wikipedia:

Conscription exists in Israel for all Israeli citizens over the age of 18, although Arab citizens of Israel are exempt (but Druze citizens are conscripted); other exceptions are made on religious, physical or psychological grounds (see Profile 21). The normal length of compulsory service is currently three years for men and two years for women.

Despite a general impression that the majority of Israeli citizens are conscripted, only about 50% of potential conscripts actually serve in the military. Others do not serve for a variety of reasons, including religious study, minority community exemptions, refusing to serve, "low motivation", and a criminal record.[citation needed]

The Defense Service Law (חוק שירות ביטחון) regulates these duties and exceptions. According to the Defense Service Law, the enlistment to the Israeli Defense Forces is mandatory for all Israeli citizens who have turned 18 (with the above-mentioned exemptions enshrined in the Defense Service Law).

Probably a decent outline that could be followed/modifed to fit. Good find there Deep.

My grandpa pretty much disowned me when I was 18 for going to college instead of the military. In retrospect, it might not have been such a bad thing to do ROTC. I'd have 18 years in at this point, and be a mere two years away from that sweet, sweet military pension. Last time I saw my grandpa was in 1990, and to my knowledge, he had never touched a pension check, which for him, began in 1967. 23 years of checks quietly deposited, in full, to his bank account. I doubt he ever worried about the liquidity of the social security fund.

I have a high school classmate who went straight into the army in 1990, got a bachelor's from SUNY, for free, while in service, transitioned to the coast guard, and now flies those big orange helicopters for a pretty large paycheck. Oh, and he lives in a big house in Half Moon Bay right on the ocean. Had drinks with him last summer, and he's terrified about giving up the sweet coastie gig and dealing with the private sector, even though he stands to make plenty of cash, and is plenty young enough to fly aircraft, both helos and fixed wing for a good many years to come.

That said, those are two cherry picked, well planned out careers in the military. I also know a lot of kids who really considered themselves to have no other options, went in, did their four years, shot up some Iraqis (in 1991, they compared it to basic level target practice), got out, and found their very specialized, enlisted level jobs in the military did not, in fact, transition well into the private sector.

Like all things in life, it's all a crapshoot that takes planning and discipline. I will say this for the military. I've known some ruh-heally f'd up kids who went in. When they got out, at the very least, they were one HELL of a lot more responsible about their lives than when they'd gone in.

I don't know why we are having a problem communicating. Maybe our respective brands of sarcasm just don't connect too well. I'm agreeing with you. Use the "military-industrial" complex comment all you want, because it wasn't coined by some pot smoking hippy of the late sixties, but by someone who should know.....DD Eisenhower. So that makes it VALID.

Yeah I re-read it, I get what you were saying.

Kram1 I agree, but WWII was totally different, in that it was a "declared war" and the military was fighting for our homeland.

No, not really. Sure it was a declared war but the colony of Hawaii wasn't anymore "our homeland" than the colony of Afghanistan is.

I wouldn't favor a draft either. Forcing people into an any organization, particularly one designed for combat, is never a good idea.

Edited by Varsity