Breaking News: BE 7 decide to split

Harry

I would tend to agree with ArkStFan. The NCAA will probably bend the rules on this one. Plus, SMU won't return to CUSA with us in it (no way). Houston to a lesser degree would not like being with either UNT and UTSA. USF won't join with FIU and FAU. I don't know if Memphis alums see themselves as too good for MT.....probably. I see only 2 options: The NCAA bends the rules and a new conference is formed. I feel that this is the worst case for NT because the current football-only members will probably try and pluck USM and Tulsa from CUSA. I hope this is not the case, because it further weakens CUSA and may cause even UTEP to bolt to the MWC. I feel the most likely option is this: 1) Boise and SDSU return to MWC. 2) MWC expands taking SMU, Houston.....maybe even UTEP and Tulsa from CUSA (hope not). 3) Tulane returns to CUSA because it has no other option. I don't know what would be done with Memphis, UCF and USF. The Florida schools might have a real problem because of the geographical location and their unwillingness to go back to CUSA. Would the ACC take them (probably not) ? I would just like things to work out best for UNT just once. Our history of being shafted at critical times of change have kept us from growing time after time.

• Upvote 1

I would tend to agree with ArkStFan. The NCAA will probably bend the rules on this one. Plus, SMU won't return to CUSA with us in it (no way). Houston to a lesser degree would not like being with either UNT and UTSA. USF won't join with FIU and FAU. I don't know if Memphis alums see themselves as too good for MT.....probably.I see only 2 options:The NCAA bends the rules and a new conference is formed. I feel that this is the worst case for NT because the current football-only members will probably try and pluck USM and Tulsa from CUSA. I hope this is not the case, because it further weakens CUSA and may cause even UTEP to bolt to the MWC.I feel the most likely option is this:1) Boise and SDSU return to MWC.2) MWC expands taking SMU, Houston.....maybe even UTEP and Tulsa from CUSA (hope not).3) Tulane returns to CUSA because it has no other option.I don't know what would be done with Memphis, UCF and USF. The Florida schools might have a real problem because of the geographical location and their unwillingness to go back to CUSA. Would the ACC take them (probably not) ? I would just like things to work out best for UNT just once. Our history of being shafted at critical times of change have kept us from growing time after time.

I don't disagree with you about SMU but they are one vote. Would Houston turn the dagger as well?

Let's say you are the president of Southern Miss.

You have two offers.

Offer 1.Conference America: UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, USF, UCF, ECU, Memphis, Tulane, SMU, Houston

Offer 2.Conference USA: Marshall, UAB, Rice, UTEP, Tulsa, ODU, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, MTSU, La.Tech, UTSA, UNT

Which one you taking?Which one will the fans demand you take?

Edited by Arkstfan

You have two offers.

Offer 1.Conference America: UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, USF, UCF, ECU, Memphis, Tulane, SMU, Houston

Offer 2.Conference USA: Marshall, UAB, Rice, UTEP, Tulsa, ODU, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, MTSU, La.Tech, UTSA, UNT

Simple answer. And I think you are dead on here. Thee is no way in hell these schools will come back. The NCAA views UNT, MTSU, FIU, FAU, UTSA, UNCC, and, to a lesser extent (because they have more money) ODU, as third class citizens and will not make the others associate with us.

There will be a new conference and a waiver by the NCAA.

• Upvote 1

You have two offers.

As far as the USM fans go, they seem to be split on staying/leaving. I don't disagree that the new conference would have more visual appeal than CUSA. But, will they have the guaranteed money and bowl tie ins quick enough ? My gut tells me that before this is all over there will be a new conference and USM, Tulsa and UTEP will head out of CUSA (Tulsa and UTEP to MWC). This will leave us (NT) in the same hole that we were trying to escape with having no regional opponents.

You have two offers.

I dont think UCONN and Cinci will still be there...but otherwise you may be right.

I know that CUSA did what they thought they had to do but in adding three moveups and two others that had less than ten years in Division 1A so quickly they all but killed the return of defectors. I choose to believe that had CUSA added only long established programs that all of the defectors except SMU would have returned. That would've given a very nice 14 team conference (maybe 16 if Connecticut and Cincinnati were taken until they could've found a home in the Power 5). Whatever they do now will likely result in a lawsuit. Make that lawsuits.

I know that CUSA did what they thought they had to do but in adding three moveups and two others that had less than ten years in Division 1A so quickly they all but killed the return of defectors.I choose to believe that had CUSA added only long established programs that all of the defectors except SMU would have returned. That would've given a very nice 14 team conference (maybe 16 if Connecticut and Cincinnati were taken until they could've found a home in the Power 5). Whatever they do now will likely result in a lawsuit. Make that lawsuits.
As Chester (William Bendix) on the Life of Riley sitcome post Indian Wars oft' said: "Now isn't that a revolting development?"

Some of the Big East football refugees new theme song:

I'm trying to post the song "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" from the movie Cold Mountain and sung by Jack Black but it won't post.

Check it out on YouTube as it appropriate for those who constantly look down their noses at UNT and for whom I do NOT feel sorry for their plight one iota.

And hellsbells, some of the athletic dept. slackers or those who approve of such slacker'dom (and the poor souls that they are who never have anyone wanting to hire them away from UNT for almost forever) and who "never" read this board; anyhow, they (or their sphincter sniffers) give me red numbers before I can finish a freakin' post! Moral of Story: I don't like the depths that they keep our athletic program year in and year out while they keep BS'ing you who drink suds with them "and call you by your first name" how such a superb a job they are doing. One day some of you, too, will tire of the unadulaterated BS you are fed from the powers that be at North Texas but you will finally wake up (I think) and see that..............the W/L records across the board never change and no one still comes to Denton trying to hire them away (a red flag) from us (for whatever possible reason that could be).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

As much as I want the Big East to die this is probably going to happen.Big East:WESTBoise St.San Diego St. SMUHoustonTulaneMemphisBYUEASTUConnTemple Navy CincinnatiEast Carolina Central FloridaSouth Florida

But the problem with that is the fact that the basketball schools are taking the Big East name. Therefore this combination of schools would have to create a new conference which means they wouldn't have the money or NCAA autobid...which means they probably wouldn't do that...

Correct?

But the problem with that is the fact that the basketball schools are taking the Big East name. Therefore this combination of schools would have to create a new conference which means they wouldn't have the money or NCAA autobid...which means they probably wouldn't do that...

Correct?

incorrect the basketball schools can't kick out the football members and if they vote to leave even if they take the Big East name they will still be forming a new conference and if they form a new conference they will not get an autobid in mens basketball for 8 years

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D113.pdf

20.02.5.4 Continuity. A multisport conference shall establish continuity. To establish continuity, a multisport

conference must meet the requirements of Bylaw 20.02.5.1. In addition, the conference must meet the

requirements of Bylaws 20.02.5.2 and 20.02.5.3 for a period of eight consecutive years. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective

8/1/11)

the CONFERENCE must meet those rules for 8 years.....a conference is more than just the name "Big East"

if the basketball schools leave the conference they will not meet rule 20.02.5.4.....if the basketball schools disband the conference and form a new one even with the name "Big East" they will not meet rule 20.02.5.4 and the basketball schools can't just kick the others out and keep the Big East for themselves

the basketball schools can disband the conference and join another conference and call it the Big East of they keep the name Big East, but that is the only way as of now they will get an autobid in mens basketball

• Upvote 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="GL2Greatness" data-cid="695454" data-time="1355466300"><p>

incorrect the basketball schools can't kick out the football members and if they vote to leave even if they take the Big East name they will still be forming a new conference and if they form a new conference they will not get an autobid in mens basketball for 8 years <br />

<br />

<a href='http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D113.pdf'>http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D113.pdf</a><br />

<br />

20.02.5.4 Continuity. A multisport conference shall establish continuity. To establish continuity, a multisport<br />

conference must meet the requirements of Bylaw 20.02.5.1. In addition, the conference must meet the<br />

requirements of Bylaws 20.02.5.2 and 20.02.5.3 for a period of eight consecutive years. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective<br />

8/1/11)<br />

<br />

the CONFERENCE must meet those rules for 8 years.....a conference is more than just the name "Big East" <br />

<br />

if the basketball schools leave the conference they will not meet rule 20.02.5.4.....if the basketball schools disband the conference and form a new one even with the name "Big East" they will not meet rule 20.02.5.4 and the basketball schools can't just kick the others out and keep the Big East for themselves <br />

<br />

the basketball schools can disband the conference and join another conference and call it the Big East of they keep the name Big East, but that is the only way as of now they will get an autobid in mens basketball</p></blockquote>

That was actually helpful.