It's time .. Fire him

UNT_Spark

I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I'm kinda glad I don't buy basketball season tickets.

I honestly don't know if I can watch this again. This is Dodgeball on hardwood. Implement a system that absolutely doesn't work, and refuse to adapt to reality. Jesus, at least Dodge would speak to the press. How's Mitchell grading out?

• Upvote 1

Meangreenmick-

You think he designed that play at the end of the game to go off with 25 seconds left to go? A three with 25 seconds to go when we are only down by 2? Then why was he chewing Jordan out for shooting the ball and screaming no when he shot it!? Granted it was a wide open look Benford wanted the last shot and it was clear by his actions and mannerisms.

Tony does need more touches but he does attract a lot of bodies. Which does actually clog the lane :/

Again I am not taking all of the name off the coaching staff and I do not know what happens in practice, but a lot of this is on the players and the poor last second decisions they make. I will give him a year to make a decision on him. I really thought this was our turn around game, especially after the ladies win. I was wrong and it is disappointing.

But that was the only shot. That was the only open look. And why would we think that Benford drew something up to get a look inside? He hasn't done it in eight games.

That last play is inexcusable. You have three seconds... not one, three. And you go with taking our biggest playmaker off the floor to throw the inbounds and make him toss a baseball pass. I mean, I guess it makes sense, no basketball team has ever been able to get the ball up the floor in three seconds and make a shot.

About four or five times last night ULALA inbounded the ball with less than five seconds on the shot clock and scored baskets. I don't think we did it once. And I'm not buying that the players are too stubborn or too dumb to run the offense. JJs offense was pretty much new to all of them last year and they were fine.

• Upvote 1

JJ did not really have an "offense" we ran the same dang 4-1 motion. We swung the ball around the top of the perimeter. The big difference is we hit shots and players were not selfish. Benford ran the same play (if you want to call it a play but it is really a set for an offense) that Johnny did last night. 2 players in the corner for 3 and two low posts. Both posts come up to the top and set a double screen. You have options from there. Benfords job is to tell them the options. Which it was clear they knew because everyone went to their spots. The difference was they failed to capitalize on it.

I think one big misconception on the offensive end is the difference between and offense and "play" and offense is run over and over and over like a loop until something opens up or the players opt out on their own. Plays are utilized are time outs or with seconds left. All offenses within about 6 to 10 seconds depending and reset. At this point every play is back where they started and they do it again. The players have the ability to opt out of it with options that the coach should give them. I have not seen a single practice so I cannot say if Benford has done this or not, but any middle school coach can even do this.

Edited by Andrew

This doesn't even seem like a head coaching learning curve thing to me. It really seems like the team has regressed right in front of our eyes. Mitchell is playing awful. I'm sure he wants the ball more, but he has been a turnover machine and has the attidude of a pouty third grader. Benford seems to have them regressing not just as a team, but as players as well.

What makes this even worse is the BS we have gotten from the last two head coaching hires. For both football and basketball we were supposed to be getting proven winners with head coaching experience. Neither of them have resumes that fit those qualifications. And for those that argue Dan did so great at Iowa State in such a hard situation, spare me the BS. This program is running out of time.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

Tony Benford will be OK. Johnny didn't win immediately. Spika built our best team, but it took some time. Tony Mitchell should look for 2 more years here. He might get in the NBA then. Look how he does against good players: McDermott from Creighton, Long from ULL, even Reves from UTA. I haven't seen many games where he is the best big man on the court. Expectations were over-hyped for him and the team. Reminds me of the Jemario Thomas situation. I don't think it will come to that for Tony. He is very athletic, but he needs a "shot". An all-american should be able to take over a game. Our team is just "Sun Belt Quality". The conference looks stronger this year than in several years. We are probably middle of the pack. About .500 in SBC play is my guess. And free throw shooting is one thing that can be improved by work, but it is individual. Look at Laura McCoy. She is having a bit of an off year, missed one. You can't work on free throws if you are working on your 360 dunk. Every play doesn't have to be showtime.

• Upvote 2

This is about respect. The players don't like what they are being asked to do, so they are acting like babies. They would not get away with this at other programs. The inmates cannot run the asylum, no matter how talented they are. This part is due to lack of coaching experience. As an assistant and recruiter, he can be their buddy. Not as the HC.

Benford has a job to do and that is to be the coach, not their friend. He has given some players too long to get on board. He is ultimately going to lose his job if he does not produce in the win/loss column. He should at least go down fighting by playing the players that are willing to work within the system and play D, no matter who that means he has to sit.

As a coach, you have one thing you can control, and that is playing time. If you aren't willing to play D, you sit. Period.

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 2

His only FG attempt was the break away dunk...

At least u had a hot date to the game ? At least that's what it looked like from across the Super Pit ;)

Ya, I don't know if you saw me yelling in game, but because of that I don't know if I'll be able to talk her into coming again.

Funny "Women say the darnest things about sports" moment. About midway through the second half, she asked me what time it was. I told her 9 PM. She got this really concerned look on her face. I apologized for my vocalness and told her there wasn't much more of the game to go. She looked confused and then ask me "but aren't there 4 quarters?" Poor thing thought she had two and a half more quarters to endure... You should of seen the look of relief on her face when I told her there were 2 halves in college basketball, not quarters.

Oh, and she left saying "That Roger Franklin is way better than that Tony guy."

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

Benford not talking after these losses is a chickenshit move.

People who want to complain about the players needing to take responsibility for these losses need only to look at the actions of the crappy coach setting the example for them.

So why is our AD not forcing him to go speak to the radio guys? Does Benford have a weekly coach's show?

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999
  • Upvote 2

Ya, I don't know if you saw me yelling in game, but because of that I don't know if I'll be able to talk her into coming again.

Funny "Women say the darnest things about sports" moment. About midway through the second half, she asked me what time it was. I told her 9 PM. She got this really concerned look on her face. I apologized for my vocalness and told her there wasn't much more of the game to go. She looked confused and then ask me "but aren't there 4 quarters?" Poor thing thought she had two and a half more quarters to endure... You should of seen the look of relief on her face when I told her there were 2 halves in college basketball, not quarters.

I saw you yelling. I laughed. I was sitting amongst a bunch of kids, so I remained silent throughout except for a couple incidents of very vanilla ref taunting.

The Junes will be excited to hear this.

Perhaps I am naive for giving him the benefit of the doubt, but as of now I see more fault in the players then the coach.

Andrew, The last time I checked in college you can't replace the players, unless you go with a lot of walk ons. In college the game is about coaching. Great coaches have great programs. Great coaches draw great players. Poor coaching equals poor results or excuses. That equals years of poor to medicore teams. This is why NT has been to the NCAA tournament just 3 times in the programs history. Long suffering fans saw this years team as the one that would put us over the hump as the school heads into a new conference.

Tony Mitchell should look for 2 more years here. He might get in the NBA then. Look how he does against good players: McDermott from Creighton, Long from ULL, even Reves from UTA. I haven't seen many games where he is the best big man on the court. Expectations were over-hyped for him and the team. Reminds me of the Jemario Thomas situation. I don't think it will come to that for Tony. He is very athletic, but he needs a "shot". An all-american should be able to take over a game.

I would agree with this if not for his performance last season, have you seen the kind of numbers he put up in his freshman year? He has already proven that he can dominate this league and anyone in it, which leads me to believe there are other reasons for his and the rest of the teams lethargy...

Edited by DJstars21

Well I will try to bow out of this convo for now.

I will give Benford the benefit of the doubt for now until I see otherwise. From what I have observed he is doing his job. Maybe the players do not respect him, but from what I have seen that is not the case.

On multiple occasions you've asked people to give you examples of Benford not doing his job. What examples so far in the season can you give that would lead you or anyone else to believe he IS doing his job.

As bad as we've sucked I can almost understand people wanting to lay it at the player's feet... But in trying to take that point of view I can't see one single thing Benford has done that would lead me to believe he's doing his job. Not one single thing.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 4

Please just let him go for now, P1.

I do wonder how different we would look right now with Walton and Taylor. Our outside shooting took a tremendous hit with those two.

I said before the season that Walton would be the key. I truly did not think it would be this huge. I am not trying to let Benford off the hook, because every team has to deal with injuries and adjust.

I don't think Benford saw Walton as a key, however. He didn't get into the Creighton game until the second half, if I remember correctly.