Players

Does anyone else think that if UTA and NT switched coaches that NT would have won by twenty easily?

I am not sure a couple of our players would have stayed had a Scott Cross been hired. A few on this board even said as much.

I can't believe if Coach Evans thought Coach Benford's approach was wrong, that he would not say something. He is a coach with some skins on the wall (which by the way is getting as old as the "bare cupboard" around here), is 63 years old, and this is probably his last gig. And since Benford considers him a mentor, I believe he of all the staff could voice his opinion. Don't know about Lundy, but I cant believe he wouldn't say anything either as this is not his last stop. As for as fault, I go back and forth. I see Emmitt's take for example, and I agree. Then I read one that is pro player and I can make myself see that. But, then it comes back to "hell if I know".

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am not sure a couple of our players would have stayed had a Scott Cross been hired. A few on this board even said as much.

I can't believe if Coach Evans thought Coach Benford's approach was wrong, that he would not say something. He is a coach with some skins on the wall (which by the way is getting as old as the "bare cupboard" around here), is 63 years old, and this is probably his last gig. And since Benford considers him a mentor, I believe he of all the staff could voice his opinion. Don't know about Lundy, but I cant believe he wouldn't say anything either as this is not his last stop. As for as fault, I go back and forth. I see Emmitt's take for example, and I agree. Then I read one that is pro player and I can make myself see that. But, then it comes back to "hell if I know".

True Dat...don't think any of us really know for certain...maybe we can find at laest a part of the story out Saturday!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can't shoot the basketball. Plain and simple. Problem last year, problem this year, especially with Walton down.

Agree...who is responsible for that? Was it JJ's fault last year and now Benford's or do the players take responsibility for their low percentage shooting? Let's all just hope these guys find their collective shots and find them soon. Time to get our shooter in the game and see if he can shake the cobwebs...that's Overlander...that kid can shoot...and I think he will for the Mean green, but in order to shoot you have to get some playing time NOW...please and thank you. Worth a try in my book....it might at least make the opposing team guard the outside a bit. Who knows.....the phantom knows!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Can't shoot the basketball. Plain and simple. Problem last year, problem this year, especially with Walton down.

Yep. Look at the Stats. We should put Tony at the 3 point line and let him shoot it every time. OK, not really. If a player is a poor shooter as a freshman, it usually stays that way for their career. This situation is not fixable until we can recruit some shooters. We will see zones in the paint all year. UTA kept backing up as the game went on. Their zone was well behind the 3 line near the end of the game. Watch LaLa do the same. If we ever see a man defense, their coach is crazy.

It isn't that the cupboard is/was bare. There is ample talent. The problem (IMO) is that we have some whiny little bitches for players right now that are refusing to play together as a team.

I agree that it is ultimately Coach Benford's responsibility to either get it resolved or put someone else in to do the job. I'm not convinced that Tony and CJ/Jordan need to spend a lot of time on the floor at the same time for most of the game. Our most gifted athletes may not work best when they are all on the floor at the same time because they most certain don't appear to want to work together.

If keeping these little girls separated doesn't work, amputation might be next.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If a player is a poor shooter as a freshman, it usually stays that way for their career.

This.

At this point in their basketball careers they can either shoot or they can't. Not saying there aren't other aspects of their game that could effectively compensate for a weak shot...

I'm saying that if your having to re-coach a college sophomore on how to shoot the basketball I doubt shooting will ever develop into a strong suit...

Edited by DJstars21
  • Upvote 1

And the other edge of the sword is we don't have the money to hire the "sure thing" to begin with either. Not any hire is a sure thing, but the odds for success would be greater. Yes we have increased the amount we pay coaches, but compared to other programs that we want to be like (not talking about the ones in our conference and their budgets, but some of the other mid majors) we are still behind. If we had $750K to $1 million to pay a head football coach, then I don't think Mac would be the guy. Conversely, if we had say $650K to pay a BB head coach, Benford certainly would not have been the first choice.

Sadly, we could have hired the "sure thing" we could have gotten either Scott cross or Danny Kaspar. Ive Always been a champion of Kaspar because he is a Unt grad. He's won at sfa, what could he have done here?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Lots of banner about whether the problem lies in the coaching or the players. Obvious answer, it is both.

My opinion, and it is only an opinion is that both coaches, team and you can add fans thought they were better than they are. This is backed up by the facts that it is easily the highest rated players NT has accumulated possibly ever with a legit 5 star and several other three. Prior to this group, JJ had signed one three star high school player. Add to that NT had all their starters back from a team that peaked late last year.

Bedford came in and kept the team together and say all the right things. More emphais on defense, get pressure of Tony, etc. This added fuel to the toughts that this team could be exceptional.

Now, we are hit with the cold reality that all those projections were at best illustions. I held out hope until I finally saw them play a meaningful game in person against UTA. This team was not only fairly easily beaten but many of players lost all composure and frankly the second half of that game was as bad as I have seen. Even worse than the debacle against UTA last year, at least that was a young team.

The team I saw Wednesday is not going to win many games. The talent and I believe coaching is a lot better than that performance. Now confidence is a major issue. This team will get a lot better, but the question is will it be enough to salvage this dream season to some extent.