Chaz Sampson

NT03

Some kids can have all the measurables in the world, and it still doesn't translate into a FBS caliber player.

Emmitt, yes, Tulsa got lucky they didnt sign him. You don't see then at his door now with an offer, do you?

When you can't break the 2 deep at receiver on this roster, you are probably not a FBS receiver.

Edited by UNT90

Some kids can have all the measurables in the world, and it still doesn't translate into a FBS caliber player.

Emmitt, yes, Tulsa got lucky they didnt sign him. You don't see then at his door now with an offer, do you?

When you can't break the 2 deep at receiver on this roster, you are probably not a FBS receiver.

Spot on.

Like I've said before, people need to realize that if we get receivers that are 6'4" and up, they probably aren't very overachieving type players. If they were good skill wise and production wise, schools like UT and OU wouldn't let them slip through to us.

Spot on.

Like I've said before, people need to realize that if we get receivers that are 6'4" and up, they probably aren't very overachieving type players. If they were good skill wise and production wise, schools like UT and OU wouldn't let them slip through to us.

Agreed. We won't be able to recruit a finished product with that size, but that's why we have to keep bringing in a couple each year and stockpiling them. Eventually you hope one of them is a late bloomer that by the time he is a redshirt sophmore, he is able to find it.

Agreed. We won't be able to recruit a finished product with that size, but that's why we have to keep bringing in a couple each year and stockpiling them. Eventually you hope one of them is a late bloomer that by the time he is a redshirt sophmore, he is able to find it.

You can't hope to find them. You MUST find and DEVELOP them, otherwise we will continue to run the ball 80 times a game.

And you can't just keep wasting scholarships, hoping one develops. We aren't UT, and can't afford to do that for multiple reasons

You can't hope to find them. You MUST find and DEVELOP them, otherwise we will continue to run the ball 80 times a game.

And you can't just keep wasting scholarships, hoping one develops. We aren't UT, and can't afford to do that for multiple reasons

I must be misunderstanding. I doubt you are suggesting our coaches don't try to work with incoming players and develop them.

My point was only that, despite all the coaching and training they provide, coaches never really know which players are going to step up and successfully transition from high school to college and it is ultimately a numbers game. If coaches knew that which ones would succeed, they wouldn't need 25 recruits per year. They recruit what they believe are successful characteristics at each position that translate to the college game and hope that they are correct on more recruits than they are not. Add in injuries, grades, etc... and it really becomes a numbers game.

I am sure Coach Mac thought sampson had a lot of ability, and was real disappointed when walkons were beating him out for playing time. Some kids respond to a challenge and some look for an easier situation. Best of luck to him in his new situation. I hope we are able to recruit more with his size and one of them will develop into a player.

I must be misunderstanding. I doubt you are suggesting our coaches don't try to work with incoming players and develop them.

My point was only that, despite all the coaching and training they provide, coaches never really know which players are going to step up and successfully transition from high school to college and it is ultimately a numbers game. If coaches knew that which ones would succeed, they wouldn't need 25 recruits per year. They recruit what they believe are successful characteristics at each position that translate to the college game and hope that they are correct on more recruits than they are not. Add in injuries, grades, etc... and it really becomes a numbers game.

My point is that the coaching staff that will be successful at UNT will be the coaching staff that can evaluate and develop the leftovers of the big boys and consistently find the hidden gem. Jury is still out on if the current staff is that kind of staff. Samson not dveloping is not good news, and worries me.

The good news is Mac is heavily utilizing the redshirt, which can really help the developing process. Not everyone who redshirts greatly improves, see Sampson, but it certainly doesn't hurt a players development.

Plus, since we don't get the 4 star metroplex players we get a lot of guys from small towns. The redshirt really helps these guys as they transition from cities of sometimes less than 5,000 people to a campus with roughly 36,000 students.

I really can't wait to see what our recruiting classes will look like if and when we have a few breakthrough seasons, but yes, until then developing is of the utmost importance for our program.

Edited by BillySee58