ULL Game Crowd

BadKarma

So, uh, we play a fantastic game, showcasing our stadium, and it's many, many available seats. Who from the city/campus can give me a heads up on what people were saying? It sounded loud, but good lord, 17k?

Who give help me out with a picture?

• Downvote 3

Green Lantern

Mean Green Eagle

Posted Today, 11:32 PM

What?

Reply:

I'm in San Diego. I only see what the talky box (TV) tells me. Why didn't we have a decent crowd? Were there people at bars watching the game? Did we have frat daddies hanging out in the parking lot? Were there a number of people in the square wearing TCU or TAMU shirts instead of green? What sort of interest was even shown by locals/students?

I'm only getting news about why the Chargers haven't fire Norv Turner yet, I get limited info on UNT.

Edited by BadKarma

From what we saw on TV I thought it was a very good crowd considering our record, time of night, and day of week. The band sounded great, tv most focused on the students so it looked fuller than it was. Compared to other Tuesday night games at other places this was a great turnout. Even fans of other teams commented about what a good crowd we had and how nice Apogee looks.

Considering everything it was a great turnout. All the hard work by the athletic department and other organizations really paid off. It gave outsiders a good impression of our school.

• Upvote 3

For those who wonder why so many on the season ticket side of the stadium left at half time, the couple next to me had to leave as the babysitter was only booked until 11pm. Only some of us can drink ourselves stupid tailgating and still get up at 6am for work - or live in dorms on campus so we can sleep just 10 minutes away from the game and still be up on time for the first lecture of the day (unlucky if they are 8am starts).

Yeah - we are all old farts making use of our UNT degrees to have careers and keep our jobs in hard economic times to pay our bills and keep our homes.

Boring? You bet. That's more like real life after you graduate.

Don't bitch about it - be happy that we got a win out of the evening and that TXA21 covered The Hill activities and that ESPN were showing us in a good light nationwide.

Just be thankful we are not like some schools where you have to pay hundreds of dollars to enter a lottery for tickets.

At least for UNT if you pay a small amount of money, you will get into a game.

Edited by bjrichus
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Appreciate EVERYONE who turned out for this game. If you had to leave early...or just left for whatever other reason, I am sorry, but understand. To the folks who are praising the students...I'll add my voice to that, but will also wonder where the rest of the were? Should have been double the number who showed up. To those that think the Alumni side was bad...I'll agree with that a bit as well, but also add my voice to those who say thanks for showing up on a Tues. night at 8PM....real life gets in the way of things sometimes that we might otherwise like to do. As students...well, they will learn this lesson soon enough.

Announced crowd was 17,055! Ouch! Am sure everyone was hoping for more, but given everything....thanks...decent crowd...and loud one...I can only imagine how loud that place will be with 30,000 in the stands. The Mean Green Nation in no way embarrassed itself last night...either on the field or in the stands!

• Upvote 2

We stayed as long as we possibly could, which was halfway through the 2nd quarter (we heard the long Broadway run for a TD as we were walking out of Apogee).

When weather apps and the news says it's going to be low 70's - high 60's, but instead with the wind it feels like high 40's, and your 2-year-old daughter is wearing a t-shirt and leggings, weather is certainly a valid excuse. We did not want to leave, but we had to.

So thankful that game was broadcast on ESPN2, so we could watch at home! On our drive home, I had to listen to Jub and Hank sound defeated when Smith jumped on the 4th & 1 at the 2. That play was absolutely maddening, but not once did I ever think to give up and go to bed.

Once again, if the scanners are saying only 17k, they are VERY broken. The student section was probably fuller than I've seen it since the Houston game, and the Alumni section looked fuller than normal as well.

• Upvote 1

All I know is, until the end, it looked great on ESPN. 17k or not. Bodes well for the future. 7 losing seasons and we've had 6K students for three games? Stunning. If you didn't notice, we filled up our section and students were sitting in the Wing zone. That hadn't happened since UH. We have a diehard core of fans, it's gonna get better.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 3

Had a great time. No voice this morning and I sat on Alumni side with my wife. Sat behind some Cajun fans on Club level 11 and yelled my lungs out and fired up some alums. Left my seat only to get a refill. Loved the game. Progress gentlemen. Thrilled with last night's game. Yes it was cold... The wind mostly. Bought a cool pullover. Great chatting with other fans.