25 Must See Non-Conference Games in 2012-2013

MeanGreen61

NBC Sports College Basketball Talk

23. North Texas at Saint Louis (December 5)

Tony Benford certainly isn’t ducking challengers in his first season in Denton, as the Mean Green begin their season at Creighton. Does Saint Louis, who is expected to contend in the Atlantic 10, have enough inside to contain All-America candidate Tony Mitchell? Can the Mean Green keep SLU’s guards, led by Kwamain Mitchell, under wraps?

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/01/top-25-countdown-others-receiving-votes/#/2012/10/01/twenty-five-non-conference-games-to-keep-an-eye-on-this-season/

• Upvote 1

I'm no expert on St. Louis, Creighton, or Lehigh but I would think the Creighton game would be considered more of a must see than the St. Louis one. Maybe I'm completely off base here? Either way these games are gonna be a treat.

• Upvote 1

I'm no expert on St. Louis, Creighton, or Lehigh but I would think the Creighton game would be considered more of a must see than the St. Louis one. Maybe I'm completely off base here? Either way these games are gonna be a treat.

I've seen both St. Louis and Creighton in some pre-season top 25s, but nearly unanimously Creighton has been ranked higher. My only thought on why they opted for the St. Louis game because this publication considers Creighton a few rungs higher up the ladder than UNT...especially playing in Omaha...and the UNT/St. Louis match-up is pairing two more even teams.

Personally, I can't wait for the Creighton game. It's always a treat to see two of college hoops best go at each other...the fact that one of hem is wearing my school's colors makes it all the more appealing. After that, I want to see Lehigh...I think they caught lightning in a bottle last tournament and they're not beat-Duke-good...they didn't beat anyone of note last year (though they played St. John's and MSU tight) but CJ McCullom is an absolute baller. I think St. Louis is in for a big let down...they lost 2 of their top 3 scorers and not having Majerus's presence on the bench is going to be a huge loss.

• Upvote 1

Majerus's presence on the bench is going to be a huge loss.

He has a massive impact when he's on their bench. I don't know who the interim guy is, but there's no way he can fill Majerus's chair. When you talk about the prominent coaches on college hoops, I don't know that anyone casts a larger shadow than he does.

Losing a coach like him... It leaves an enormous hole that I don't think the assistants could possibly fill. Not to be hyperbolic, but its hard to overstate the gravity of Majerus's presence on the bench.

And, uh... When Majerus sits around the locker room, he really sits AROUND the locker room. Also... Fat guy.

Damn. Should have stopped before the last paragraph.