Thoughts from the first week of football

emmitt01

1)Allen's new stadium is worth every penny they paid. Seeing Southlake Carroll lose (and get shut out) was just a cherry on the sundae. They deserve to go winless for sending us the Dodge curse. Allen wasn't ready for a selliout though. A 45 minute line to get into the stadium and an hour long line for concessions that never went away prove they didn't prepare logistically.

2)MUTS loses to an FCS, FAU almost does. There is no question this is the weakest conference in America. We really need to leave this place on a high note.

3)La Tech starts with aTM, Northern Illinois begins with Iowa, UTEP starts with Oklahoma...as HOME games. By the obvious rules of college football scheduling (correct me if I'm wrong KRAM) they will now have to host at least two FCS schools next season. You know, because bringing in an attractive opponent means you can't possible replicate that the next year. Yes, two of these games are played away from the "home" team's stadium...would ANYBODY here prefer the game in Baton Rouge over, say, the Cotton Bowl or Jerry World?

4)Penn State would have been way better off with the death penalty. Ohio is no pushover...they also are no Ohio State, Michigan, or even Iowa or Illinois. It could get U-G-L-Y

5)I am pulling SO HARD for South Alabama today. I want UTSA to lose each and every game they play.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Why the hate for a future conference mate?

Call it frustration. We have clawed, scratched, begged, borrowed and stolen to get out of the series of purgatory conferences we've been in. UTSA decided to start a football club to go along with their lemonade stand and they're in CUSA.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Call it frustration. We have clawed, scratched, begged, borrowed and stolen to get out of the series of purgatory conferences we've been in. UTSA decided to start a football club to go along with their lemonade stand and their in CUSA.

I think this is valid emotion to feel when we play against them ....

I don't think I'll ever feel the slightest desire for UTSA to win a game, or even to perform adequately. I'll be just fine if they serve as a C-USA doormat for a few years, and then slink off into the Southland.

For perceptions sake, we (meaning CUSA) need our FCS move up to beat the SBC FCS move-up. I'll be rooting for CUSA teams all season as long as they're not playing NT. I also hope the Sun Belt loses every OOC game they play (except for ours).

• Upvote 2

For perceptions sake, we (meaning CUSA) need our FCS move up to beat the SBC FCS move-up. I'll be rooting for CUSA teams all season as long as they're not playing NT. I also hope the Sun Belt loses every OOC game they play (except for ours).

I don't think we have to fret about the Belt closing the perception gap between C-USA anytime very soon. I'm more concerned about the upcoming glut of FBS schools in Texas that will thin out the talent.

• Upvote 1

I don't think we have to fret about the Belt closing the perception gap between C-USA anytime very soon. I'm more concerned about the upcoming glut of FBS schools in Texas that will thin out the talent.

That's a valid point. They are both threats. I'd still rather the SBC lose. The NT/UTSA game could turn in to an awesome rivalry that could be bettered by both teams being good. I still hope we destroy them every time we play.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1)Allen's new stadium is worth every penny they paid. Seeing Southlake Carroll lose (and get shut out) was just a cherry on the sundae. They deserve to go winless for sending us the Dodge curse. Allen wasn't ready for a selliout though. A 45 minute line to get into the stadium and an hour long line for concessions that never went away prove they didn't prepare logistically.

2)MUTS loses to an FCS, FAU almost does. There is no question this is the weakest conference in America. We really need to leave this place on a high note.

3)La Tech starts with aTM, Northern Illinois begins with Iowa, UTEP starts with Oklahoma...as HOME games. By the obvious rules of college football scheduling (correct me if I'm wrong KRAM) they will now have to host at least two FCS schools next season. You know, because bringing in an attractive opponent means you can't possible replicate that the next year. Yes, two of these games are played away from the "home" team's stadium...would ANYBODY here prefer the game in Baton Rouge over, say, the Cotton Bowl or Jerry World?

4)Penn State would have been way better off with the death penalty. Ohio is no pushover...they also are no Ohio State, Michigan, or even Iowa or Illinois. It could get U-G-L-Y

5)I am pulling SO HARD for South Alabama today. I want UTSA to lose each and every game they play

UTSA rallied late to win 33-31.

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 1

Call it frustration. We have clawed, scratched, begged, borrowed and stolen to get out of the series of purgatory conferences we've been in. UTSA decided to start a football club to go along with their lemonade stand and they're in CUSA.

UTSA didn't tell their alumni and students that they should accept a demotion in the level of football like North Texas did--and then kept it that way for 12 years, while the other schools in its vicinity were still playing at a very high level in the only conference that mattered to fans and the media in this state at that time. UTSA probably used us as an example of what not to do when making this move upward. They used their market, their media, and their major facility near them all to their advantage. We literally did none of that for 80+ years. I'm more envious of the fact that their leadership recognized the advantages they had and ran with it to CUSA. It stil boggles my mind to this day that it took a poster from this board to basically organize a big enough coalition of students to pass a referendum to build a new facility that by itself has allowed us to gain admittance to CUSA. Because, make now mistake about it, if we hadn't passed the fee to build Apogee, which the AD had proved it couldn't do, and we were still playing at Fouts, our future would probably be no brighter than playing in the SBC and knowing that the FBS sickle would be culling us out again. UTSA may not gain your respect because of their easier road, but they have definitely gained my respect in avoiding the train wrecks that we made during our long road to CUSA admittance.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

UTSA didn't tell their alumni and students that they should accept a demotion in the level of football like North Texas did--and then kept it that way for 12 years, while the other schools in its vicinity were still playing at a very high level in the only conference that mattered to fans and the media in this state at that time. UTSA probably used us as an example of what not to do when making this move upward. They used their market, their media, and their major facility near them all to their advantage. We literally did none of that for 80+ years. I'm more envious of the fact that their leadership recognized the advantages they had and ran with it to CUSA. It stil boggles my mind to this day that it took a poster from this board to basically organize a big enough coalition of students to pass a referendum to build a new facility that by itself has allowed us to gain admittance to CUSA. Because, make now mistake about it, if we hadn't passed the fee to build Apogee, which the AD had proved it couldn't do, and we were still playing at Fouts, our future would probably be no brighter than playing in the SBC and knowing that the FBS sickle would be culling us out again. UTSA may not gain your respect becasue of their easier road, but they have definitely gained my respect in avoiding the train wrecks that we made during our long road to CUSA admittance.

Have to agree for the most part.

Cliff's note version is:

Get your collective shite together and people tend to recognize that and go "Hey, they have their collective shite together. Let's get on board with those guys."

Better late than never though. Onward.

• Upvote 3

Without a stadium, without a field house, without a weight room, without helmets...

I agree with this sentiment. I hope they don't win another FBS game for the next 10 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

UTSA didn't tell their alumni and students that they should accept a demotion in the level of football like North Texas did--and then kept it that way for 12 years, while the other schools in its vicinity were still playing at a very high level in the only conference that mattered to fans and the media in this state at that time. UTSA probably used us as an example of what not to do when making this move upward. They used their market, their media, and their major facility near them all to their advantage. We literally did none of that for 80+ years. I'm more envious of the fact that their leadership recognized the advantages they had and ran with it to CUSA. It stil boggles my mind to this day that it took a poster from this board to basically organize a big enough coalition of students to pass a referendum to build a new facility that by itself has allowed us to gain admittance to CUSA. Because, make now mistake about it, if we hadn't passed the fee to build Apogee, which the AD had proved it couldn't do, and we were still playing at Fouts, our future would probably be no brighter than playing in the SBC and knowing that the FBS sickle would be culling us out again. UTSA may not gain your respect because of their easier road, but they have definitely gained my respect in avoiding the train wrecks that we made during our long road to CUSA admittance.

:goodjob:

UTSA hate is stupid on this board.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1