Rangers lose wildcard game

Why do I have the same feeling I had before game 7 of last year's World Series?

Why do I have this sinking feeling that there is but 2 games left in 2012 for the little Rangers?

Hope I'm wrong.

I've been right there with you since Nathan blew that save Sunday afternoon.
  • Upvote 1

MLB Team Report - Texas Rangers - INSIDE PITCH

Martin Perez made a start Monday that may be key to his long-term development.

Unfortunately for the Rangers, they are currently focused on winning a division and not developing 21-year-olds.

Less than a week after Perez allowed Oakland five runs and didn't make it out of the first inning, he overcame another potential first-inning meltdown to somewhat steady himself and take the Rangers into the fifth inning Monday. However, Texas lost 4-3 to the A's, who clinched a playoff spot and trimmed the Rangers' lead over Oakland in the division to one game with two to play.

Read more: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-10-03/sports/sns-rt-bbo-rangers-teamreportmtze8a28l80ad-20121002_1_rhp-koji-uehara-texas-rangers-texas-bullpen

So I was debating this with my buddy last night.... if the Rangers lose tonight (even though they still make the playoffs) does this count as a "collapse" like the Cowboys every December?

I'm not really up on Rangers/Cowboys, but I do like to listen to the Ticket talk about them.

I agree with what they brought up this morning, and I believe this applies to the Cowboys too: everything coming from the organization is so business as usual. There is no sense of hunger/urgency from the players, while they seem perfectly content even after a loss.

Give me a Dan McCarney who gets pissy after a loss.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

I'm not really up on Rangers/Cowboys, but I do like to listen to the Ticket talk about them.

I agree with what they brought up this morning, and I believe this applies to the Cowboys too: everything coming from the organization is so business as usual. There is no sense of hunger/urgency from the players, while they seem perfectly content even after a loss.

Give me a Dan McCarney who gets pissy after a loss.

Follow up: I don't understand how you can play at this level being content. There is so much hunger and fire in players that would give anything to be in their spot. Either they are 1) so talented that just showing up is good enough to get to playoff contention, or 2) the administration just doesn't give a flip either.

Edited by greenminer

Follow up: I don't understand how you can play at this level being content. There is so much hunger and fire in players that would give anything to be in their spot. Either they are 1) so talented that just showing up is good enough to get to playoff contention, or 2) the administration just doesn't give a flip either.

It's baseball. Every team accumulates quite a few losses over the course of a 162-game season. If you lose 4-5 games in a row, you can shake it off, and go on and win your division. In football, your season's over if you lose 4 games in a row.

That said, I think at this point of the season and the postseason hanging in the balance, yeah . . . they ought to be pretty upset about a loss.

When we look back at this last month, losing 2 of 3 to Seattle while Oakland was losing 2 of 3 to the Yankees is what will stick out.

A Hamilton strike out and we are down to 3 outs. Oakland will lead in the standings only one game all year, but it's the only game that counts.

A monumental collapse that may lead to this whole thing being turned inside out.

Edited by UNT90

I actually think we beat Balt with Yu on the mound but this game ruins the Rangers for the actual postseason.

I really don't think they do.

I mean, last year's inability to hold on to a 2 run lead with 3 outs to go twice, being one strike away from being world champions twice, blowing a 4 game lead with a week to play while losing 5 of your last 6 games, being up 5-1 in the deciding game for your division, only to collapse yet again.

Yu could throw a no hitter through 7 against Baltimore, but if the Os are within 3 runs in the last 2 innings, they win that game.

It's what this team does in every important game they have played since the series last year.

I really don't think they do.

I mean, last year's inability to hold on to a 2 run lead with 3 outs to go twice, being one strike away from being world champions twice, blowing a 4 game lead with a week to play while losing 5 of your last 6 games, being up 5-1 in the deciding game for your division, only to collapse yet again.

Yu could throw a no hitter through 7 against Baltimore, but if the Os are within 3 runs in the last 2 innings, they win that game.

It's what this team does in every important game they have played since the series last year.

If we lose it will be off the worthless bat of Crush Davis .... Mark it.

If Boston wins and Baltimore takes care of Tampa, then there is a one game playoff for the East. Then the loser has to play Texas. That would give the Rangers a decided advantage to advance past their own one game playoff.

Right now Boston is up, but so is Tampa Bay.