Looking at our Roster & Schedule - I like what I see for '12

Summer's here and the football bug is returning...

The preseason mags are starting to come out, Dave Campbell, etc. And I'm getting a good feeling about the upcoming year.

It looks like the biggest question mark for the upcoming season is our secondary.

However our strengths are going to be in the trenches, especially on the O line. That is where games are won anyway and it appears coach Mac is building this thing right. Our LB core will be solid as well.

We did lose a few key positions (even outside of Lance) but I don't see a big drop in talent, speed, and size everywhere else. I think our coaching will get the inexperienced players up to speed quickly. And I think Thompson (if he stays healthy) could be the leader this team has needed at QB since Scott Hall.

But I especially like how our conference schedule lines out. If we can get through the first 6 weeks healthy with at least a .500 record, we could be set up for a run. We miss FIU and the top 2 teams from last year (Ark St and LaLa) we get at home. Plus, those two teams were just as decimated by graduation as we were. ASU loses 7 first team all conference players? The last game of the year at WKU could be for the conference...

8-4 is not totally out of the question this year.

• Upvote 3

I like our chances going 2 -2 OOC. That would be some good motivation going into conf play and send a message to conf. DCF has us 6-6 and going to Beef o Brady bowl. I think we could get 7 - 5...maybe 8-4 with some good bounces.

Other than TSU who do you have us beating?

• Upvote 1

Other than TSU who do you have us beating?

well we did go toe to toe with Kansas St and gave away the game 2 years ago.... and they also barely squeeked by Eastern Kentucky 10-7 last year. Bigger upsets have happened. Houston has an entirely new coaching staff and WR corps. There is potential to beat teams that we were not supposed to.

h town...i like our chances against both houston and kansas; more houston. LSU...well, lets just say that it wasnt to long ago that App State beat Michigan in the Big House. I know it is not likely for us to beat LSU, but you know, those are very dangerous games for a top ranked team. They look over some one like UNT to the next week and then all of a sudden, you get beat and ruin your chance for Nat'l championship.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

h town...i like our chances against both houston and kansas; more houston. LSU...well, lets just say that it wasnt to long ago that App State beat Michigan in the Big House. I know it is not likely for us to beat LSU, but you know, those are very dangerous games for a top ranked team. They look over some one like UNT to the next week and then all of a sudden, you get beat and ruin your chance for Nat'l championship.

I love it when you talk like that! However, it's hard to imagine that LSU won't play like they have something to prove after looking so bad in the the mythical national championship game last year.

Yep, I would love it if we could pull that off against LSU. I wonder if it might be more meaningful to beat Houston though, maybe give us bragging rights in some recruiting battle.

I just happened to be in Boone, N.C., home of Appy State, a few weeks after that win over Michigan. You could tell that the locals were quite proud, but I did notice they lost 2 out of their next 6 games and were only cochampions of their conference that year, whereas they were both conference and national champs the previous 2. They haven't done quite as well since, and I kinda wonder why they couldn't get more notice during the recent realignment moves with all they've done at the FCS level. I'm sure the long bus trip from Charlotte is an issue. Still, I wish I'd had the time to go see a game while I was there in 2007 (was on a family outing to nearby Blowing Rock, on the Blue Ridge). If you've never been in that part of the world during autumn foliage season, I highly recommend it!

Edited by eulessismore

However, it's hard to imagine that LSU won't play like they have something to prove after looking so bad in the the mythical national championship game last year.

1. There was nothing mythical about number one versus number two.

2. I like the number of first year coaches on the schedule.

1. There was nothing mythical about number one versus number two.

2. I like the number of first year coaches on the schedule.

1. I still want the number one versus number to be based on an 8 or 16 team playoff, but yeah, those probably were the best two teams last year. I just think LSU will be well motivated this year.

2. Those first year coaches last year were pretty darned good, but I think we will have a good defensive team this coming season, and pick up 1 or 2 more wins.

Edited by eulessismore

Oh it would be awesome if we upset LSU. I have friends back home buying LSU crap for their baby and they have no ties to LSU. I would love to buy it some UNT stuff after an upset win. I probably will buy it UNT stuff anyways, but that would just make it better lol.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 2